An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Isolating Yourself

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Nov 19, 2015.

1. SPR012

SPR012 Member

I believe that no one is truly alone in fighting addiction. There are plenty of resources available online and in real life to help those struggling with addiction, even if they have no one in their personal lives to turn to for moral/physical support. However, if you are lucky enough to have a family or friends that support you, please take advantage of this. Addiction can not be "white-knuckled", it must come through work, support, and force of will. Good luck to all of those seeking help for their issues.
  2. aly

aly Member

I feel as if completely isolating oneself would cause either an additional problem or a relapse. I believe that when someone is fighting an addiction it is very important for the person to stay away from the people that they use to either use with, or be influenced by. I believe that the number one thing that someone fighting an addiction needs, is a good support system of friends, family, or even counselors. I feel as if the person knowing that they have someone right there by their side that they know they can count on and trust every step of the way is a very big factor.
  3. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

I was very lonely for a couple or years and that was not pleasant at all, rather depressing, so I am happy to be living a normal life now. The fact is that being alone is depressing and we are not made to be alone.
  4. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Isolation is the fastest way to a relapse. It is never a good position to be when fighting addiction. Being in the company of others, especially in the company of positive minded people is essential to recovery.
  5. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

Loneliness and isolation in many people leads to a heightening of mental issues and stress, and I would presume addiction as well. We get trapped in our own thoughts and sometimes never break free when alone.
  6. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

I would certainly not advised someone to get completely isolated.
    Hanging around people who can trigger addiction in you, bringing you back to it, is also a very dangerous thing to do and a big no-no.
    Try to find some other, maybe new people, someone that does not know about your addiction, so they would approach them in the new light (but make sure they do not have any addictions themselves) - like introducing you to some new hobby, interest, etc.
    If that does not happen, for me it is better to stay in the cradle of the family, away from friends like I have mentioned, and be alone with your family; than just socialize for the sake of socializing. Neither one is good and no one should go to extremes.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it could depends per person since there are some who can think better alone and being alone can help a person meditate. Also depends if how long a person would be alone cause as it was mentioned, being alone can also be a cause of relapse since loneliness can strikes.
  8. oportosanto

Isolation is something natural when we don't feel confident. We don't want to relate and we end up digging our hole even deeper. We need to get out and be with other people!
  9. HalfBeard

Well, like everything, I think it's best when in moderation.
  10. oportosanto

Really halfbeard? Half beard and half post right?

More and more I realize that we need to relate because many times when we are alone it's when we are in worse company...
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Loneliness can be detrimental to you in the long run, so I wouldn't completely isolate myself from all of my friends. Of course, get rid of bad influences but at the same time you need family and friends to pick you up when you feel down.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

You can not isolate yourself, it will lead to problems down the road, but if your friends are into drugs, maybe you can find other activities that you enjoy. It could be a way to stay away from drugs, and make your time more worthwhile. It is something good to do and make certain you have the some company while undergoing your sobriety.
  13. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Isolation is definitely not a solution when it comes to fighting addiction. In fact, I would say it would add to the problem. It is true that you need to leave some friends, drop some negative minded friends, and leave some circle of people. But there are so many positive minded people that you need to interact with. If you don't interact with such people, how do you get motivated? How do you get strengthened? Who do you lean on when you need a shoulder? It is these kind of people that reminds you of what life will be when you eventually gets off your addiction And they will be your strength in the most painful times.
  14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Completely isolating yourself is no good. It would be better to stay away from bad influence. Besides, socializing with people is a skill and if you isolate yourself 100% then the skill becomes rusty and you might be ackward around people.
  15. oportosanto

Well said Jasmine, socializing is a skill. Sure, we don't need to socialize in situations we don't like, but there is such a "wide offer" that we just need to find the niche we love.
  16. HalfBeard

I agree completely it's best to socialize and get away from yourself, but sometimes solitary reflective thought (in a small amount) can be incredibly enlightening and helpful.
  17. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

In my experience, isolating myself completely from other people does not work. There are certain people and relationships that can't continue in the same way, so detaching with love is one way to handle that. I do think human contact is important, and that can be achieved by making friends in sobriety, friends who have the same goals and want the best for you. It doesn't mean you don't love family and friends from whom you detach, or that they've been replaced with new sober friends. It just means you love them from a distance. If you don't put yourself and your sobriety first, you can't do anything else. Congratulations and best wishes for a blessed journey. :)
  18. Two-face

Two-face Member

Im a social butterfly that doesnt have a drug or alcohol problem but needs some advise. Im about to go into (not complete) isolation for the purposes of my job. Im an obsessive compulsive person about what i do for a living and I want to experiment with what isolation will do for me. Keep in mind Im not completely cutting the world off. I will still be in contact with family and coworkers throughout the day. But after work, I want to shut down completely and focus on what makes me obsessive. Im going to surround myself in my craft to educate and create possibilities that havent been thought of yet. To master what I do. Yes Im social but its something that isnt needed. I dont have many emotions so being out of contact isnt a problem for me. Ill stay social during work hours and still be available to my family but outside of that I want to cut everything off to not just engulf myself in what I do but to enjoy it. Everything Ive researched about isolation doesnt refer to me so I cant base what I've read off how I would react a year down the line. My question is can someone like myself- a mad scientist that doesnt need anything but my obsession- do this and actually become great from it? Become enhanced?
  19. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

I wouldn't recommend isolating yourself because by doing this your not going to receive any good help from the outside. It's good to isolate yourself sometimes but not always. Instead of avoiding those people that they used to drink with, they can talk to them and ask them things like: 'Oh man, I think I want to give up this drug, are you with me?' And if they say no then at this point I would say yes try to stay a little bit away.
  20. oportosanto

Isolation isn't by far the best remedy as we need to socialize, that is part of life and gives us the motivation to move further. More, alone with our thoughts we are many times worse.