An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Isolating Yourself

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Nov 19, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd also say that isolation isn't really something you should experiment with, no matter how beneficial you think it might be for you.

Being cut off from others is a defensive mechanism that people have who have been hurt or who have been through an emotional trauma, so choosing to do that isn't something I'd recommend trying, even though it is just for test purposes.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think people need to do what works. They may find it necessary to isolate themselves at first if all their friends are users, but once they start to feel stronger, they would need to get a new peer group. No man is an island and people are social animals, they need contact with others.
  3. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

I struggle with loneliness every day. I think it depends on your reasons for using. If you used because you were upset or alone then it could be a problem. But if other people are a trigger, then I would think that a certain amount of isolation would be a good thing. Granted, you can't be alone forever. You would have to learn to be around others, but I wouldn't push it until some strength has been accomplished.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think it depends. For some people, isolating themselves completely works for them. For more people, seeking support from loved ones and professionals work more for them. So it's all a matter of what can help the person. You need to know yourself first.

Do you have the strength and willpower to fight through your battle alone? If so, why not? Just know that after it, you can always find new people to be friends with and you can always go back to your family.

On the other hand, other people aren't capable of recovering by themselves. They'd need some kind of help from other people who can motivate and encourage them.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people though don't have any other option than to be isolated and on their own, so they have to do whatever it takes to get by.

While some get used to it, for others being isolated can send them into depression so it's not something I'd choose to do.
  6. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

When we get isolated we are alone with our thoughts and that can be bad for us. As far as I see it we should find healthy activities that make us feel better.
  7. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

I've been isolating myself for a while now. I don't go out to bars anymore or drink so now I don't really have many friends since I no longer go out. I have a couple of friends I see here and there every once in a while. Most of the time I spend is alone though and it does get very lonely. Sometimes I think about going out sometimes and hanging out with the ones I don't see anymore. But I know if I go to a bar or somewhere they are that I will be tempted to drink again or smoke.
    oportosanto likes this.
  8. oportosanto

I can totally related to what you are saying because I've been there. Our old habits are dead, so we need to find new occupations or else we will get insane. What do you love doing?
  9. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I personally think that isolation is a major cause of depression. That, later in time will cause a relapse of a drug to stop the pain.
  10. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Like most things in life, there is a healthy balance to maintain. While avoiding people in an addict's life who use drugs or alcohol is a great first step in order to avoid temptation, a focus should also be made on strengthening and making relationships with people in an addict's life who encourage healthier, drug-free lifestyles. Making new relationships and strengthening already positive relationships should also be focused on in order to recover.

Human beings need social interaction and contact with other human beings. No one should have to be lonely as they go through addiction. Finding support groups with other people who are going through recovery or who have already gone through recovery may be a way to build positive relationships to replace the negative ones that should be given up.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think it depends a lot on the person, for some person avoiding everyone, even those friends who aren't addicts is sometimes necessary. For me it was definitely necessary when I was going through my worst... I didn't want to face anyone, didn't have the energy or interest to do so.
  12. oportosanto

I think that we should not avoid friends who are not addicts, quite the opposite. I mean, when we quit the addiction we need to cut with a lot of things drugs related, so we should grab on to the others.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I think there is a big difference between avoiding bad company and isolating yourself. I can't speak from experience with addiction but total isolation can be a dangerous thing and it might be especially true for some dealing with addiction. I think it's important to strike the right balance.
  14. oportosanto

One thing comes with the other. If we are used to one life and we cut with that life we will be isolated, unless we start to have new activities or relating with new people.