An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Issues With Regard to Legalized Pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by cheffy, Jul 2, 2019.

1. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I'm in Michigan where we've had weed legalized for medicinal use for a while. They just recently made weed legal for recreational use too. Does this mean that employers cannot test for it or at least can no longer deny you a job if you test positive? I know they don't test for alcohol so it's not too much of a stretch to think they shouldn't be testing for weed.

As an aside, before pot was legal for recreation, an orthopedic surgeon in our community was caught with a small amount in his car which he said was for pain, but the community pretty much ostracized him and the group he was with had to 'recreate' the office under a new name due to public outcry. I'm not yet sure how I feel about that - you generally don't want your surgeon to be under the influence of pot or alcohol while he cuts you up, but again, comparing pot to alcohol seems to point in the direction of 'it's OK to use' as long as you use it responsibly.
    Joshstillclean and Dominica like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I don't think much has changed with regard to testing employees for weed in Michigan, @cheffy. Part of that is due to the fact that marijuana is still a Schedule 1 narcotic as far as the federal government is concerned. Here's an article from Crain's Detroit Business that talks about employers testing for pot:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/marij...loyers-arent-relaxing-drug-screening-policies

By the way, I'm in Michigan, too. I'm in Grosse Pointe. Where you at (if you don't mind me asking)? Just curious.
    Joshstillclean, Dominica and cheffy like this.
  3. cheffy

That's a good point about the federal laws being different than state laws. I've always had trouble seeing differing laws like that. You'd think they wood reconcile their differences just so they can be consistent. Disallowing in a state when something is allowed under federal laws seems OK, e.g. there are dry counties in some states. But allowing something on the state level when it's not allowed on the federal level seems strange, kind of like there's a rebellion at hand.

I grew up in Utica and have been to Grosse Point quite a few times. Now I'm about half way between Lansing and Grand Rapids, near Lake Odessa - out in the sticks. We bought 15 acres (660 x 990) and had our house built smack dab in the middle. Then we planted 3,000 trees around the perimeter to further limit the view. Only ~1500 came up - all spruce trees. The poplars didn't come up at all. It was either my paranoia or my distrust of people, or maybe some of both, that we've secluded ourselves. :eek:
    Joshstillclean, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@cheffy good discussion here. it is interesting about the federal vs. state laws. i guess i was thinking if it was legal, it would be good all the way around... but i guess not!

i also think pot might be better than booze... but such a stigma around it. but marijuana can affect each person differently...and depending on strand, etc. i think with alcohol, people kind of know how it's gonna affect them... now what they do under the influence... who knows... could be trouble.

and, booze is much more addictive.
    Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  5. deanokat

I agree, @cheffy. It's so confusing when state laws and federal laws differ. To be honest, I don't really get how weed can be illegal on a federal basis but legal in states that choose to make it so. Thinking about stuff like that makes my head hurt.

I have an idea of where you're living. And I'm a little jealous. I would love to try living in seclusion. At least for a little while. ;)
    Joshstillclean, Dominica and cheffy like this.
  6. cheffy

I wonder what would actually happen if you were caught in something like a federal sting op for pot in Michigan - you're considered innocent at the state level and guilty at the fed level. You'd be collateral damage to the feds, and they could ransack your home to look for drugs, and if even a small amount is found they would not have to pay for damages to the home. I wonder if a decision could ever be taken to the Supreme Court as to answer the question, what is innocence and what is guilt. I bet there would be some interesting thoughts put on the table.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  7. True concern

True concern Community Champion

It may sound ridiculous but just think about it.Marijuana and states legalizing it and the feds not recognizing state law as far as marijuana it very well could be what sparks the biggest division this country has ever seen,it would basically destroy the country and the thing we all love "Freedom"it may sound nuts but honestly it could happen and if it did would that not be when we are most vulnerable as a nation?What do you think our adversaries would attempt?Imagine the sorrow that would consume us all if it was a disagreement over marijuana that opened the flood gates to our demise.Just saying it is very possible just look how the Fed's are already carrying out stings in state's, expand that nation wide and we have absolute turmoil.

FOOD FOR DEEP THOUGHT
  8. True concern

The safest one a schedule 1,absolutely crazy
  9. cheffy

Always good to hear your take @True concern - thank you. The hardest pill to swallow (maybe not the best choice of words here :rolleyes:) is that instead of the split being north/south, man/woman, rich/poor, etc., the split would in a large part be within the family and would be silent - kind of like the stigma attached to recognizing and acknowledging addiction or depression as an illness. If it really became a big issue, it would mean you would likely see heavy rioting also right down to the family level. Our great nation would end up having to make an adjustment tantamount to one of the big slips of the San Andreas Fault. Scary.
  10. True concern

I'm not sure if I'm correct or not but I don't think Americans are giving up their weed or guns without a fight,those two things seem to be hot topics
  11. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

This one isn't. I like both. I use both for good purposes and on a fairly regular basis. I avoid doing bad with my shotgun, I do use it for food.
    Love venison.
    Love my weed too. I used to be a pothead, I'm not now I only use it when I need it for medical reasons. I used to take huge ammounts of valium. Thanks to my weed, I'm sitting here not high on pills, not quite stoned on pot but somewhere in a happy middle where I feel sober, relaxed, am very funcional.
    OH- and I know I'm not about to have a siezure...that's kinda important to me.
    Both can be abused. But I'll be damned if mine is going anywhere. Yeah, I'd be mad if someone tried to ttake this away from me and start forcing me to take huge amounts of benzos again. NO. WAY.
  12. True concern

Odd we just had a 6.4 magnitude earthquake, not the San Andreas still an odd coincidence.

Serious question here.Do I make sound,rationale examples of certain scenarios?Or am I way off in left field only making sense to myself?

I think my new meds are making me ask because I don't think I'm crazy but a crazy person wouldn't think their crazy lol.Anyways just curious
  13. cheffy

You really do make sound, rational examples/thoughts. In fact, I always look forward to reading your posts. I think you have actually been better since you started this new effort to be drug free. Not that you were bad before, but now you have an air of relaxation with less of a sense of urgency than you had before. Sounds like you've slowed down a bit, and thinking through more about what you write. And I think that's super.
  14. True concern

Thank you @cheffy I was hoping so but while stuck in the throws of active addiction I really didn't know, and yes little by little my mind is clearing up and I am taking a little extra time before I just type.Have a happy 4th my friend
  15. Joshstillclean

I second that. I always enjoy our non site related conversations, but especially here lately have I liked reading what you write.
    We still see the same things...so that lets you know right there you are not crazy and never were. And damn man you just are a smart guy. know how you are always tellong me things like yes you have done good, or you do have willower...
    well i'm telling you that you are p pleasure to talk to, because i do not like idle chit-chat. i want to talk about something meaningful-which you do.
    So like you tell me-don't dought yourself! Very few people @cheffy you are one of them (everybody else you know who my peeps are) do i look forward to seeing what they have to say.
    Man, after a year and a half, i still look forward to what you have to say. it's insightful as heck, always.
    and i can't wait to finish this read so i can be on the same page.
    deanokat and cheffy like this.
  16. True concern

I really appreciate that,truly I do.I have not yet finished the book I had to take a few days break from it because it is intense and I get hit with flashbacks of thing's I've seen/noticed and didn't understand or realize there significance.,plus I need time to process in steps so it all registers but that's how ADHD work's if I read it all in one day I may remember a fifth
    deanokat, Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  17. cheffy

My biggest problem is I can't remember the titles of the books I read - mostly kindle books. My wife will ask me what the name of the book I read last week is where such and such happened, and I have to go look it up. Drives her nuts. Drives ME nuts!
  18. Joshstillclean

well i'm real busy lately and i just got it.
    so i'm not about to finish it overnight. i'm actualy eating it up though because theres things in there that i've been trying to tell people about...HA hA!!!!!!!!! i wasn't crazy affter all!
    cheffy, True concern and deanokat like this.
  19. deanokat

You're good, @True concern. No left field stuff. At least not yet. ;)
    cheffy likes this.
  20. True concern

I think that's kinda cute lol,like something you and your wife both know,both expect,yet when it happens it's a "Damnit give me a min moment"
    Joshstillclean, cheffy and deanokat like this.