An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

It Gets Easier

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many people who try to fight their addiction almost always relapse because resisting the cravings and dealing with withdrawal gets to be quite hard for them. Hard though it is, if you are a recovering addict who feels like you can't keep going, keep this in mind:

The first days, weeks and months normally are pretty hard to get through but once you get past them resisting the cravings will get easier. So don't give up if you want to start enjoying the freedom of never having to be controlled by drugs. It does get easier . . .

Be brave, you will not see the light at the end of the tunnel if you don't walk through the darkness.
    unknown
    remnant and kassie1234 like this.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It doesn't get easier, you just get healthier and improve your resistance to the cravings. This is pretty nice because it makes you feel that you are slowly getting clean and free. This improvement makes it seem easier, but the truth is that you are more experienced in dealing with it. And gaining experience is awesome.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

"After a dark night there's a brighter day" - Tupac. I live by that quote every single day of my life. Sometimes we fail, sometimes we struggle but at the end of the day we're amazing "creatures" with unlimited potential. We always seem to find a way out of every problem we face, which makes us awesome!
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Problem during the first days after starting recovery is doing it the wrong way, at least I feel like the problem being this; you are now quitting drinking, using drugs, smoking or else, hence trying to avoid it, what means the substance of abuse is always in your mind, and this work much in the way diets do.

If you need to lose weight, you go on a diet in which fatties are a no-no, but then because you can't eat them, you feel cravings for them, even if you didn't before starting such diet; it's one's mind playing dirty because as soon as something is denied, mind wishes it harder. Same thing happens when parents advise a girl do not dating with a guy they dislike; such girl will feel increased desires to do the opposite.

With alcohol, tobacco, drugs, substances, or addictive patterns happens the same; mind will wish what one is not longer providing it, hence it's necessary stay busy and keep one's mind occupied in something else than thinking of the addiction situation.

Certainly, however, one needs to be brave and remain strong going through.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yep - I absolutely think time helps - the longer I go without drinking, the stronger I feel. It makes me all the more determined to never go back to that way of life, because if I gave in, I would essentially be giving up on years and years of hard work and dedication to the sober life. I wouldn't want to throw that all away. Now, I can't say that I've never felt like a drink in that time (that would be a lie!) but now I have the strength to remind myself "okay, you're just upset, let's do something else to deal with those feelings".
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, I agree that at first there is some sort of sacrifice because of the cravings and the withdrawal symptoms, but eventually as time goes by everything will be better, so recovering addicts should not lose hope or stray within their goal.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I like that quote and that is true. :)
    I have learned in life that no matter how bad the situation is, that too shall pass. Specially if you are not adding to make it worse and instead doing things that you could to make it better.
  8. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Yes, you're right, it does get easier, but it can be very difficult to see that when you're going through a difficult time. So it's good to come onto this forum to see people who have been through it, and who can confirm that there is a better life out there for us all. I know that we can all get through this if we work together, so that is what we have to do if we can.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree, the first step towards anything is always the hardest, but once you get used to it, and you are now in control, everything would seem much easier already. Just stay focused, and determined. You can do it. Never lose hope.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When starting out on recovery it's very easy to relapse as it is hard. Nobody said it was going to be easy but people don't realise just how hard it can be.

Taking things slowly and a day at a time can be helpful at first, and making sure you don't try and run before you can walk is important in the beginning.
  11. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Another quote from Churchill that I like is "if you're going through Hell, keep going."

Succinct, and totally on the mark.
  12. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I can see both sides to that one, but if it helps some people then it is a good way to think. Physically I think that there is little doubt that it gets easier, but certainly cravings can grow as well as subside, and they appear and rush in to people at different times and at different paces. Easy or hard, though, we need to keep our heads down and power through.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In my experience as well as observation the most important things in recovery are motivation and support. The addict needs motivation, we have to inspire him/her will positive thoughts, always show him the brighter side of the life. Addicts also need support, we should support him/her morally as well as physically.
  14. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

That first step is always the hardest. Those first days are always gruesome. The first week is like fighting through something unknown. But when you get through those, you will sure be stronger and able to fight this addiction better. So those first days
  15. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

This is a really comforting thing to hear and it give a lot of people, including me, the strength to at least try to move forward.
  16. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

It does get easier, until it gets harder! It makes good sense to follow a program, and focus on all the right things. But inevitably, from my experience anyway, there always comes those times that challenge us to our core. That is why it is good to have a support group around you to rely on.
  17. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

We do need to follow a program or a plan, we cannot go random because if we do we will get ourselves in trouble. So, get a plan and stick with it.
  18. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It definitely depends on how you manage your temptations and thoughts. If you can handle that, then yes it does get easier.
  19. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

I like the plain way as you put it @doatk22 and you are right, it depends on how we can handle temptations. It's very hard though, so we need to be smart to fight ourselves.
  20. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Sobriety becomes a habit afte awhile. It has to become easier. Just as abusing substances was a habit sobriety is also a habit that may take time to develop but once it is...it can be something that is adherred to, and used in daily life.Sobriety like any other habit is something you can put in place and it will become easier to have a positive spin on your life.