An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

It is Possible

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by zaerine, Oct 28, 2014.

1. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I just like to share the story of my grandmother on how she quit smoking.
    She used to smoke more than 4 sticks of cigarette before on a daily basis. I was surprised that just one day, she stopped smoking and never smoke even a single stick again. It was just a matter of strong will and determination.
  2. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

That's a nice inspirational message. I personally am against smoking and dislike it so I see it as a very positive thing when more and more people work to try and quit smoking / worrying about it in the future.
  3. zaerine

Thanks. :)
    I know it is easier said than done but at least it is really possible to quit with just pure determination. Just like the saying, if there is a will, there is a way. I hope this could inspires more.
  4. Lanny

Lanny Member

That's a great inspirational story, Zaerine. Not everyone is willing to give up smoking. With God anything is possible! I think God was by your grandmother's side because she wanted to stop. The Bible says, God helps those who helps themselves. Her heart was telling her she needed help, that's why God gave her a helping hand :).
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Thanks for sharing your grandma's story. This is a good motivation for those who are still trying to quit any addiction problem they have. For sure, this is one way to do it.
  6. zaerine

I really like this phrase "God helps those who helps themselves".
    Yes, I think when she finally decided to stop smoking, she was guided cause that was a good thing to do. She also focused on how to take care of her loved ones like her grandchildren. :D
    Lanny likes this.
  7. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Excellent story, Zaerine. Not only your grandma is an example of strong will, she's also an example that it's never too late to quit on a bad habit.

There are addicts who will say (and I know at least two in my workplace): "I have been smoking all my life, so there's no point on quitting now". It's a good thing that your grandmother dosn't think this way.

Tell us, was there any improvement on your granmother's health after she quit? I can tell you that when I quit smoking, my endurance at physical activities got a lot better.
  8. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

9. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

It's important that everyone gets to hear about the success stories. That way we get to realise that we're all very human and can achieve things, simply because other people that have experienced the same issues as us have managed to do so. Well done to your grandmother!
    Nick W. likes this.
  10. zaerine

Thanks guys for the responses.

You are right Juan in saying that it is never too late to quit on a bad habit, you just have to be determined to do so. My grandmother become more active and able to do household chores easily before after she stopped smoking.
    Nick W. likes this.
  11. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Zaerine,

I am glad to hear that your grandmother was very determined and had a strong will. I believe that having strong will and determination can help us to make many needed changes in our lives. When it came to my diet, I was very determined and had a strong will to make the change and because of this, I was able to make the changes that I needed to, just like your grandmother who was able to quit smoking.
    Nick W. likes this.
  12. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

you can do anything when you want to. You just have to have the will to make yourself do it, also having a good support group. All these things will help in more ways then you think, take every day as a new start.
  13. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

My granny did the same thing. It's hard, I still struggle with nicotine addiction.
  14. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I used to smoke too until I started developing lung problems. I had a coughing fit in front of someone important and was very embarrassed about it. That's when I decided it was time to listen to my body and stop.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I don't think quitting cigarettes really necessitate all the sermons and reiterations of the benefits of quitting because most of the time smokers don't really care enough to hear them. The main source of quitting any addiction is really a personal decision first and foremost and of course a strong willpower and dedication to stand by that decision.
  16. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Very true. I knew all the health problems that smoking cigarettes caused. But I didn't care. It was cool and something to do with my hands when I was out. I coughed for several years until I reached that point of uncontrollable fits in front of people.
  17. shandrum

shandrum Member

My grandmother also quit after years of smoking. She started smoking during the Great Depression at a time that people did not know the dangers of cigarette smoking. She smoked for several years until she was about 40. She quit at that time when she learned that she was pregnant with my aunt. She passed away on September 11, 2013. She lived to the age of 90. She passed 1 week after her birthday. She always said her goal was to live to the age of 90, and she did. She was a wonderful lady and we miss her dearly.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I was told that smoking is the most addictive habit there is. I know friends that swear by it. To hear that some people can just turn cold turkey in a instant is incredible. I know some people go crazy when they try to quit anything.
  19. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

That is a very similar story to my mom. My mom one day just quit cold turkey and she honestly never turned back once. She smoked half a pack a day and I am so proud of her I express it to her often. She is a much healthier, happier woman 3 years later today :) Have hope in your loved ones everyone!
  20. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

Wow that is very inspiring. I hope that one day soon I can quit. I smoke almost a pack a day. I don't know if I could just quit completely and be as strong as her. I am trying to gradually cut back and then one day I am going to quit completely.