An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

It is so popular, you can get drunk in a game.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Auril, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

Just a random thought which both amuses and startles me. For years I played the game World of Warcraft, and in the game there is a plethora of alchoholic beverages for characters to acquire. When they drink them, they can actually get drunk. Your view of the screen begins to get hazy and distorted and - if your character drinks enough - they will eventually vomit. This is how deeply drinking and over drinking is cemented into our society.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I remember something like this occurs in The Witcher game for the computer where Geralt your character get's drunk after 5 drinks or after a few vodka drinks is feeling dizzy and moves slower than before and can get knocked out. I remember getting drunk after having a drinking game in a mission to chill with a person which was funny and also if you have a potion it can wake you up to being sober. In real life we see people who consume more than they can handle, and have to have hospital visits or put others at risk most of the time which can use time and money as well.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I also noticed this happening in The Witcher and it is actually present in the GTA series also. This also startles me but I guess it makes the game much more detailed (especially GTA, which is about gangsters and stuff) and closer to the main point of the game.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Reminds me of a REALLY old game I used to play back in the day. You could get your character drunk, and it would have the same detrimental effects as it does in real life, along with some humorous ones. I suppose at least game designers try to keep it fairly accurate?
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

We have to understand that drinking is not simply a vice. It is entrenched deep into our cultures. It has been around for years dating back to even before the Romans and it is not completely preposterous that it is even present during the Mesapotamian eras. It is not startling to see them in games like GTA or WOW or The Sims. These games try to reflect a part of reality just like movies or any other medium.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

I've seen a couple of those games. And while I think it's pretty cool, I also think it shouldn't be done. Kids play these games. That parental advisory sticker on games don't work., because kids get their hands on them anyway. If they see drinking in a game, there's a big chance they'll want to try it in real life. It peaks their curiosity.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Lol, woah, do they black out to? I was really into MMORPGs in the past, but I could never really get into WOW. So, I guess drinking is a very popular part of modern life, often glamorized, it's good they try to show what happens if you drink too much. I recently played a game where my character was drunk for a bit, I couldn't see well, all blurry lines.

I don't remember seeing like that when truly drunk? Some seeing something, then a blank image, then me waking up heading to the bathroom and... well, you know. I have only blacked out once and ever since no more for me...