An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

It is very important to stay motivated - no matter what !

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Lizel, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yes, as I wrote in the title it is very, very important to stay motivated if you're in a crisis, and when you're really going through a tough time. Eventually everything will get better, and you will need to cope with your problems, one day at a time, so you need to stay motivated in order to do that. Staying motivated is like saying that you're not going to give up and that you will achieve all the goals you have set for yourself, and it is also, so important to have goals in life, because then you're motivated to achieve them, even thinking about them as you have already reached them and imagining how it would be does make you happy in some sort of a way, so remember guys, keep searching for goals and find strength to achieve them, try to stay motivated, because you always have somebody by your side. :)
    As your inspiration you can also seek for motivating quotes, and you can share any of the ones that motivate you in this topic. MOTIVATION, is the key to success, and the first step to achieve happiness and success in life, and isn't happiness, everyones goal?
    MrsJones and pandabear1991 like this.
  2. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Motivational quotes, essays and speeches certainly are inspiring. More than, anything, however, you have to walk the talk. By that I mean doing something to put all the realizations you gleaned from motivational text into concrete actions. Individuals in the throng of recovery may not be able to find motivation on their own but it is hoped that there will be people who will act as their eyes, ears and noses while they are still in the process of getting better.
  4. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

I could not agree with you anymore!

Motivation is a key to success. I think it is actually one of the most important things for life in general and greatly helps with well being. For quitting a substance, I think the key is to motivate yourself to get a hobby. I swear by hobbies and its a great time to start one! Keep yourself interested in a hobby and your motivation will grow stronger and stronger in my opinion, it helped me a lot!
  5. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

You are so right about this @Lizel. Even when everything seems hopeless and you label yourself as "unable" to achieve your current goals, setting new ones that are able to be done can really help. Getting motivated and staying motivated will help ease you out of your troubled feelings as well.

I am hoping to set some new realistic goals soon myself. Gotta set more goals that revolve around me personally and less about others.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's absolutely true. Stay motivated. Find other hobbies/activities that will help you to be able to find your own happiness. Learn from other people and make them your inspiration. ;):)
  7. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Take note that motivation depletion, more commonly known as ego depletion is a thing. You can read about it right here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_depletion

Basically, motivation is finite and you need set things into a routine to maintain your progress.
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Yes it is true that it is important that you will always have that positive attitude that you can hold on tight to your aspirations and determination up to the last minute that you will come out in the crisis you experienced in your life. Stay motivated within yourself no matter what hindrances might come your way and always think that you can surpass everything and you can do it!
  9. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Motivation together with Determination is leading into a right way. It is so hard when you're encountering a crisis now, especially if you are influenced by a bad association. The best motivation that we can get is from the Bible. The Bible is a Word of God that can help each one of a us not to stumble in a wrong way and decisions.
    MrsJones likes this.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Sometimes there are times when our motivation is diminished because of the obstacles that are being thrown at us, but we really need to be strong and not give up in the face of adversity. We must stay strong, and quotes and encouragement can really help to inspire us and to build our morale.
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yeah, it really is important to keep your eyes set on your goals and your vision. Often depressed people have forgotten how it feels to be inspired and it really is important and probably even more important at that stage to try and find that type of feeling again just so you can have the most powerful starting tool to get yourself out of the rut.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really right. Although easier said than done, it is important that we keep ourselves motivated even on days that we are facing problems and troubles. Motivating oneself is like having a positive mind over things no matter what.
  13. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I think moivation is huge. Yoi really need to get going and keep trying. The more you try the more likely it is to get better. The thing is its hard to see that when things go wrong.
  14. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Thank you for posting this! It actually motivated me! :)
    I agree with you on having goals in your mind to achieve, even if they are short term goals is a great way to keep yourself motivated, its absolutely important to work on those goals but it's important to don't forget that we are living, and we need to enjoy every moment of our day.
    And I'm not sure if this quote is motivating or not, but for me it is!
    "What other people think of me is none of my business." -Rupaul.
    MrsJones likes this.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I like to think of motivation as the fuel that fills me up and makes me able to be a person. Without being motivated I don't even have the desire to get out of my bed and start working hard. It's really important to find something to look out for, that may give you a little bit of motivation! :D
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

Self motivation is very important while doing anything. Only when you motivate yourself that you can overcome addiction. You must have goals that you must set yourself to achieve.
  17. PerkyNorm4u

PerkyNorm4u Member

Oh goodness this is so true! Talk about learning a lot this year. I made the decision to change my thinking patterns and one of them is keeping my motivation even when things appear bleak. I suppose this happened when I decided to take an honest look at myself and made a definite decision that I will change the way I think to have a more positive life. I stopped beating up on myself and refuse to let sadness or doubt set in when there was turmoil. Sometimes it's still a challenge but I do see the change in my thought pattern where I am no longer a cynical person anymore.
    MrsJones likes this.
  18. Saccharine

Saccharine Member

Motivation is one of the most important things to keep in mind, absolutely. I think you have to be careful with it; it's a limited resource and you can run out of it. You have to be sure to manage yourself so you haven't burned through your motivation in the times when you most need it.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I find I get my motivation in life from a few different sources. There's some people in my life who are pretty inspirational, that have gone through tough times in life but have managed to come out the other side smiling. They're wonderful to look up to and keep me motivated. I'm also motivated by caring for my family - they're my number one priority and I have to be healthy and well to look after them. I also get motivation from my hobbies, working out and being in nature. Those things just rejuvenate me and give me energy and drive.
  20. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I agree with this and you need something on which to focus your attention or feel passionate about in order to be motivated. There is just so much out there that anyone can do to keep busy. Everyone has gifts that they can explore and that will help them to forget about drugs and find the joy in living once again. Everyone needs to have a reason for living, a reason to carry on.