An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

It Makes You Drunker?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by hellonamesdana, Apr 4, 2015.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

A few of my friends were talking about how they took a bar of Xanax at a party last weekend, and they were talking about how if you're drinking while you're taking it, it just makes you Drunker or pass out. Is this true?
  2. nm1180

nm1180 Member

Xanax + alcohol = terrible idea. Unless you are going to just drink a few beers at home, I would never drink on pretty much any pills. It's true though, even a half a bar and a 6 pack could feel like a 12 pack. Also, even if you only take a small dose of Xanax while drinking, you can easily black out. I don't mean pass out (well that's very possible too), but blacking out is pretty much when you're on autopilot. You wake up and not remember anything, then you have people saying you were acting stupid for hours. Easy to hurt yourself doing that, and VERY easy to embarrass yourself. One time I took half a bar, and drank a 12pk of beer. Next day I woke up and there was a Jack in the Box bag with empty food wrappers in it. I thought "hmm, I don't remember going to jack in the box"..turns out I went at 3am according to the receipt. It's a few miles down the road. I can only imagine how sloppy I looked paying at the drive thru. I truly don't remember getting in the car, leaving my house, or even eating.
  3. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I think by now there should be enough info out there about mixing drugs and alcohol to keep people from doing that! Comas? Brain death? That should be enough of a deterrent, I would think.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Any medication taken in combination with alcohol can have disastrous effects. You really don't know the outcome of the different combinations of alcohol and prescription medication. I had a beer and took some NyQuil. That knocked me out silly. Can you imagine highly potent prescription meds?
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I have to agree with everyone else, anything concerning drugs combined with alcohol is going to give you a terrible time, undoubtedly.
    I still don't understand people who know the risks they expose themselves at, but for a reason or another, they keep doing it over and over again. I condone experimenting, but if it doesn't go well the first time, then you have no reason to further continue whatever you want to do. Tell your friends that what they did wasn't sane, and they shouldn't continue doing it at all.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

This is the main reason for so many deaths. You hear of people dying at least weekly because of a mixture of alcohol and prescription drugs. We have seen so many celebrities die this way. This is a very dangerous habit that can a have disastrous outcome. You should stress how dangerous this is too your friends. Just because they got away with it once does not mean they will be safe the next time.
  7. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Mixing both would probably — sorry for the word — f*ck up their kidneys.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This is most certainly true. the two drugs are both depressants and will increase each others effects. however, it's important to realise that this combination can cause respitatory depression. RD slows your breathing right down, to the point where it actually stops. Benzos are very rarely lethal alone but are absolutely deadly when combined with alcohol.
  9. Any medications mixed with alcohol is a really terrible idea. Please do not try it. I had this one friend, he had a heart failure because of that.

So please, don't even think about it. You can have fun without mixing medications and alcohol. It really is dangerous.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know someone who did mix xanax and also alcohol, and they were in hospital due to this and also learnt a lesson the hard way that mixing these two is not good and have stayed away from Xanax. Sometimes some people, just want to try it out or show friends they can do this and also trying to be popular as well and don't think about the risks involved as well. I reckon, that it should be known that mxiing these two will never have good consequeces and also it can cause bad side effects and also not do anything good.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I agree mixing pills, and booze is a really bad idea. It is deadly please don't die for a good time. I wish adults would lead by example the way it should be. Stop showing these kids all these ways to screw their lives up. Happiness, and fun isn't found in a pill or drink it's found from within yourself.
  12. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

For Sure! if you are drinking and take any kind of prescription medication if intensifies the effects for me 10 fold. I am prescribed pain medication for my back, and when I go out to lunch with friends I usually only have 2 or 3 because thats all I need. I'm a cheap date. :p
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't know much about this combination but I have heard of some other similar ones and if they are indeed similar then it probably does make for a pleasant combination but it's important to do some research on it first especially since information is easily accessible and widely available that it would be a disservice not to do so, and of course apart from that the most important thing is not to abuse it.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh boy. There goes the liver. Its not a good idea. I guess some people have to mix to see. You could have anything that you said happen when mixing drugs and alcohol. You could even have some new ones. Everyone is different. You could also end up in a coma or worse.
    Well I guess sometimes when you are young some people want to try anything to see if they can go for broke, physically.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't know but it sounds pretty dangerous. I don't think you should mix alcohol with drugs anyway that's a bad idea. I think that there probably high and drunk at the same time. I have mixed drugs in alcohol before but I stopped doing that when I felt it was causing health problems. They should really stop doing this passing out may be a sign of something serious.
  16. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

It's completely true, but its the ultimate douchebaggery there is, not to say that it's not safe. I don't understand why people try to get even more wasted, especially by combining 2 powerful drugs. In time, this combination can lead to hallucinations or even mental diseases.