An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Itching Skin Part Of Alcohol Withdrawal?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by adamlevine, Nov 13, 2018.

1. adamlevine

adamlevine Member

I have been drinking very heavily for the last 4 months : at least 6 - 13 standard shots of gin almost every day. Sometimes more. Things just escalated and got out of hand. I was also smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, and usually finishing the night off with a couple of Tylenol with Codeine (8mg). I realize that I am probably lucky to still be alive.

I have stopped all the bad habits - no intention of going back to that place - but have a question about the detox process.

I am on day 6 and things have not been too bad, except for a little fatigue and insomnia and bad dreams which I understand is normal in this situation. I can get through this. But it is the onset of hypersensitive skin that is driving me nuts! Itchy skin that feels as if bugs are crawling over me at times. NO, I don't see them! [​IMG] Is this part of the detox - does anyone else know of this experience? And how long do you think this could last!

I have had blood work done, and by some miracle everything shows up within range!
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Usually itchy skin is a typical side effect of someone who IS taking to much opiate based medication...not was taking but IS taking but if that's not the case unfortunately I have no idea.I suggest checking with your doctor to get his/her opinion on this particular scenario just to be safe
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm with @True concern on this one, @adamlevine. I would consult with a doctor about your itchy skin. It could be related to alcohol withdrawal. A quick Google search does show a lot of people who are detoxing from alcohol talking about itchy skin. That said, it could be something else altogether. Best to ask a professional.

By the way, congrats on Day 6. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Please know that we are always here for help, support, or just to listen.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@adamlevine

Hey there. So glad that you're here and I'm so glad to hear that you've given up all of those things. You spared yourself a whole lot of Misery by stopping all of these bad habits. I'm not sure about your question. It very well could be some sort of detox symptom, but I'm not sure. I'm glad that all of your blood work came back normal, so you can put your mind at rest regarding that.

I hope that it stops soon!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  5. Krayon

Krayon Member

I experienced quite a bad exczma like rash on my neck but that was at the height of my drinking. I would have night sweats a lot too so that didn't help. During my recovery though I did go through a period of very itchy hands to the point that the skin started peeling. A trip to the doctors and a blood test didn't reveal why though. I also have a girl in my recovery group that has complained of an itchy rash too. Dont know if its the same thing but would defo like to find out more about this as I can't find much online.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  6. Dominica

@adamlevine hey there. how are you doing? any better?
    deanokat likes this.
  7. deanokat

Let us know how your itching is, @adamlevine. We're here for you.
    True concern likes this.
  8. Itsnotjustme

Itsnotjustme Member

Hello Im Crys over here on East Coast -

Grateful recovering alcoholic and cocaine abuser

Im actually 63 days sober and I can relate to the original post on itchy skin due to alcohol withdrawal, detox, etc.
    So my understanding is when I did drink amd especially the lethal amounts I was also drinking almost daily that our bodies will put themselves in sort of like a generator state...

So basically alcohol does change your internal and external body temp, which btw another crazy factor to add to my drinking- and really it means that once my body has reached a max internal temp I will then break a sweat, feel lil euphoria. Maybe dizzy and etc... These are actually indicators that I was WASTED and close to alcohol poisoning!! AND even though I gotta keep drinking cause I cant stop & damn sure didn't want to either cause i was having time of my life ; I would continue to drink... Once this peak was reached- EUREKA and there went on my generator!

The generator kicks on when my central nervous system was now being compromised- notice numbing of hands. Clammy and ITCHY skin, heavy feeling!

So all of a sudden instead of feeling like im heating up Im now freezing and it doesnt matter if its 80 degrees- Im freezing and now everything is so stiff, cold and slowed down... I realize my breathing is much more shallow and that my trembling hands are frozen cold

So with that being said you are still early sobriety... Im still struggling with tremors, night sweats, clammy and shaky hands, oily/ dry skin amd sometimes rashes! My nails are so frail- break a lot! Hair likes to fallout clumps or handfuls.

The generator is still trying to figure out whether or not you are going to fill yours again. By the grace of GOD I hope not and lastly this thing works. Just give it time and stick and stay! Itll get better - also oatmeal lotion soothes much better than just moisturizing. Epsom salt baths and also oatmeal baths are also good!

Feel better!

Crys
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  9. Dominica

@Itsnotjustme hey there! congrats on your sobriety time! that's wonderful. also, thank you for sharing that detailed information. i hope the withdrawal symptoms you're dealing with subside soon....

sending positive, sobriety vibes your way!
    Itsnotjustme and True concern like this.
  10. deanokat

Thanks for posting, @Itsnotjustme. And big kudos to you on your 63 days of sobriety! That's FABULOUS!! Just keep going, my friend! And know that you have a support network here that you can lean on anytime. :)
    Itsnotjustme and True concern like this.