An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

itchy brain syndrome

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by tasha, Feb 21, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

For those of you who have gone through the motions and are now in recovery there will be a time or two where you find that your brain feels itchy. Not sure if you have experienced this but it would be interesting to hear from you if you have. Don't panic this is a normal sign that your brain is recovering slowly from the damage that has been caused to it and the itchy feeling is cells repairing themselves.
  2. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Itchy brain syndrome? I've never heard about it. (I mean, the organ itself can't experience any stimulus like pain pressure etc due to the lack of sensory nerve endings on its surface, so an 'itching' brain seems improbable.) What does it do? What are its symptoms? Can you please explain, because I'm a bit confused.:)
  3. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I find myself confused about this, too. I've used and recovered a number of times, but I've never had this problem.
  4. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

I think OP is referring to some sort of scalp itching or intermittent headaches or a kind of general discomfort. I've never been a full blown addict so I don't really understand it that much, to be honest.
  5. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I have been a full blown addict, and I'm still not sure what they are talking about because I don't feel like cocaine really has that effect.
  6. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Do you have anymore information on this or evidence/studies to backup that claim? I've used and I've never felt that, nor have I ever heard about "itchy brain syndrome." If that were true, why wouldn't people with other types of brain damage report itchiness from their brain cells repairing?
  7. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thе wоrd mоst оftеn usеd tо dеsсribе сосаinе’s initiаl “rush,” whiсh соursеs thrоugh thе bоdy аnd brаin оf thе usеr is еuphоriа. Сосаinе is аn аddiсtivе substаnсе, primаrily bаsеd оn thе intеnsе plеаsurе thаt flооds thе brаin аnd sеnsеs оf thе usеr, frоm thе vеry first hit.

This rush оf plеаsurе mаy lаst а fеw minutеs оr up tо аn hоur, dеpеnding оn thе mеthоd it is usеd. Fоllоwing thе intеnsе plеаsurе sеnsаtiоns аrе а “соming dоwn” thаt tаkеs thе usеr tо а dеprеssеd stаtе оf bоdy аnd mind. Thе dеplеtiоn оf thе plеаsurе is why mоst usеrs rеturn fоr mоrе аnd еvеntuаlly bесоmе аddiсtеd tо соkе
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's the first time I've heard of this. Could it be that it is the feeling of having an itchy scalp and not actually an itchy brain? Anyway, I've never used cocaine so I wouldn't really know.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is the first time I've ever heard of this. I never knew repairing cells makes your brain feel itchy. I haven't heard a lot of people describe it this way either. how long have you been in recovery?
  10. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I'm in the majority's boat here, too. I've only heard of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) but that's totally unrelated to the subject matter, lol. I am however able to see how this could cause a problem for some, but not sure in what circumstances it could be. Mind clearing that up for me? :)
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I have never had this problem myself and your brain doesn't actually feel anything since it has no nerve endings, so I guess it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome or just a mental mindset/illusion. I don't exactly know what you can do to avoid or prevent it other than hold it out, nor do I know how you can really get through it if it becomes major. Perhaps consulting a local doctor is the best bet.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have had this when I had really bad panic attacks. I felt like I had to gag and just get it over with. i felt like if I didn't then it would just be a constant itch that I had to scratch. I feel like it is something related to OCD when it comes to my anxiety. My sister has OCD too.
  13. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I've never heard about itchy brain syndrome. I've had itchy body syndrome(lol) from allergies. I used to get those inner body itches that you couldn't' do anything about. I wonder if it is a similar feeling.
  14. Shelly

Shelly Member

I took the anti depressant Cymbalta for a couple of years. I weaned myself over the course of about a month. My brain started to itch not long after that. It was awful. I would grind my knuckles into the base of my skull all day long trying to get it to stop. I was away from home and had to persevere for ten days before I could see my doctor. As it turns out Cymbalta masks nerve issues and she suggested that going back on it might help. I went home and immediately took my regular dose and the itching stopped within 24 hours.
    After further research I found that weaning too quickly from Cymbalta can also cause this. So, I tapered off much more slowly and was Cymbalta free after about five months. That was about two months ago. I found this discussion when I looked up “skull itching” because damned if the itching isn’t back! I’m heartened by Tasha’s original comment that my brain is repairing itself. As long as it doesn’t take too long i’ll be fine. But I’m not sure I could stand another 10 continuous days of this.
  15. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Shelly hey there. thanks for sharing. glad you are off Cymbalta... and hope the itching doesn't last too long... good to hear that it's the brain repairing itself... much of the time, the body knows how to heal itself :)