An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

'It's no big deal'

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

It feels like every time the marijuana conversation comes up everyone is quick to dismiss it's usage as no big deal. People are sometimes quick to recommend it even if for medicinal purposes only. What's your position? Is it really not a big deal if people use or not?
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m on the fence. It’s super common where I’m from, so much so that you’re almost considered abnormal if you don’t smoke it. So I can see where people around me would say it’s no big deal. But for me personally, while I don’t particularly have anything against it, it WOULD be a big deal if I started using it. I’ve said in other topics that I never really had an interest in smoking weed, so something would have had to change drastically for me to start smoking. And it’s definitely not the first thing I’d recommend for medicinal purposes, more of an alternative.
  3. panda

panda Member

People seem to think that it's harmless for some reason. I blame the hippies.
    When I was in high school, all these kids would talk about how it's actually beneficial for you when it's not?
    Tons of people want to get high and use the "legalize weed for medicinal purposes" excuse.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

To be honest, I am one of those people for whom "it's not a big deal". I live in a country where marijuana is as common as drinking coffee. Even though many will disagree with me, I think that there are a lot of things far worse than the use of marijuana. Here, marijuana is used for medicinal, culinary and recreational purposes. It's a part of everyday life.
  5. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

To me, I do not really care about marijuana and its use. Just take the marijuana outside like the cigarettes. I do not want to be sitting in an enclosed space with anyone smoking marijuana, just like I do not want to be sitting in enclosed space with someone smoking cigarettes. I might have a difficult time breathing.
  6. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I fall for the medical side of things personally. I do not condone the use of marijuana just to look cool or to get high for fun, but I would strive for its usage, especially for the elderly and medically impaired.
  7. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

I think it is a lot bigger deal than most people realize.

The main problem is the public ignorance around it. People believe everything about pot, from it isn't addictive, to it cures cancer . Not treats, freaking cures cancer. That's pretty nuts. People believe what they want to believe, not what they can factually back up with science and logic.

Sure, it isn't the worst thing someone can do, but it isn't the best . I'd rather someone used alcohol than marijuana. Mainly because Alcohol Is Less Destructive. Another thing people don't believe, but I can prove.

The most concerning part, is no one sees the wave destruction coming with pot legalization.
  8. llfsa

llfsa Member

I honestly believe Marijuana is no worse than Alcohol or even standard tobacco. Its (their) destructive attributes have been proven time after time. The thing with marijuana though is that modern pop-culture makes it sound like it's not a big deal AT ALL!

Due to constant praise among groups of peace and nature activists and their associations with pro-decriminalisation views (which is a totally different matter, one that I for instance agree with), the idea that not only Marijuana is not bad for your health but it can even be beneficial is a dangerous belief that has managed to sort of become the consensus among general public.
  9. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Well, I feel that as a medical tool prescribed by doctors, it's mostly fine (after all we use morphine as a painkiller, and it's super addictive). However, for recreational use, it can become quite a problem. Marijuana like any drug, is harmful in large enough quantities and is addictive. Saying it's not a big deal is disingenuous.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It is kind of a deal to me. I don't know what other people are thinking. It's the same argument over and over again but to me, the addiction marijuana brings is far greater than the pain it relieves. The national drug board has enough evidence to support what I'm saying and it's not like the world has run out of pain relievers. There are far better pain relief alternatives to marijuana. The medical claim may just be an excuse to sniff the drug. Kudos to those people who've managed to retain their sense of self, but a bigger chunk of the population is not in the same boat.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, it affects everyone differently, so, for some people it's not a big deal, and not for others. No matter what they tell you, it is a gateway drug. There's no question about it. I tried many other things after smoking weed. There's always someone who comes along and tells you, "Oh, you like weed? Well, try this. It's gonna blow your mind." And, so, the story begins.
  12. MerMer21

MerMer21 Member

I think any type of drug you use has the potential to be a 'big deal'. The fact of the matter is, marijuana usage, even for the most addicted users, hasn't been very threatening to our society in comparison to other drugs. People around you get high on a regular basis and you probably never even knew it. It's possible to be high and still have a regular functioning life. Does that mean it's no big deal and anyone should do it? No, of course not. Not everyone can handle drugs properly and they all should be used with discretion.

I think the issue with marijuana is that, by federal law, it's held in the same category as other controlled substances that have far worse consequences if abused. No one has ever overdosed on marijuana, and regardless of those drug commercials you see on tv, the amount of deaths that reportedly were caused by marijuana is extremely low. So with that being said, there are always arguments about it and, it not being 'a big deal' is a common defense used. I do think people overreact to it. Yet at the same time smoking, in general, is not healthy. I have nothing against weed users but I hate being around smokers of any drug. It stinks, it turns your lips and eyes different colors and looks and is very unhealthy. So in that sense, yes when it comes to smoking it, marijuana IS a big deal. But the great thing about marijuana is that it does not have to be smoked for it to work. And that is grand.

I'm on the fence though, because while I understand peoples big concern, I also DON'T understand people's big concern. lol I think it boils down to people not being fully educated on it or extremely biased for whatever reason.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, the drug itself isn't that bad, it's just that it's overly-hyped and you live with the feeling that absolutely every kind of drug is as harmless as marijuana is all. Though, yeah, if you use it excessively, you can have huge problems. Not only with your physical health, but with your mind, too.
  14. aliciadow5898

aliciadow5898 Member

It's really NO big deal to me. Even bad when I was against it, I grew up with people in my family smoking it and all my friends. Now i'm in it too. At first, I didn't like it because I didn't like the high but now i'm used to it and my mind feels wrong and slow without it. It sucks though because i'm 4 weeks sober due to my pregnancy and I can't wait til I can smoke again. I've never judged marijuana smokers. It's your life, you can chose to do what you want. It just the same as people who decide to smoke cigarettes.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It depends... I don't see marijuana as something really harmful, not if you compare it with other drugs that do far too much damage. But you know what they say... too much of even the most harmless thing is never good. I mean, even drinking too much water can kill you... if you have weak lungs like I do, then smoking too much weed is not a good idea. Toxicity is dose based.

Pot smokers are way healthier than the people who smoke average cigarettes, that is a fact, those who smoke cigarettes are very likely to get cancer as a result to the exposure to all those chemicals and toxins found in a cigarette.

Pot smokers are not free of the risk, but their cancer is very likely to be caused by something else; after all even our personal care products are loaded with things like: parabens, toluene, Methanediol (which when exposed to heat can release traces of formaldehyde - very common in hair straighteners), petrochemical agents and so on.

No one is safe if you think about it, but why making the odds of getting cancer bigger by smoking cigarettes? I had to throw away a lot of my favorite nail polishes when I found out they contained formaldehyde resin, toluene and DBT! But I did it because I don't want my odds to develop cancer to be bigger... after all we have a baseline risk of 37% (if woman) and 45% (if you're a man) to develop cancer at any point in our lives. Why risk it?
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's no big deal if it is for medicinal purposes and it was prescribed by a doctor. The drug is still illegal in most places.
  17. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

If it is not for medicinal purposes, it is a big deal to me. "According to studies, THC, the active ingredient in cannabis, remains in the body for much longer. It also contains 50% to 70% more cancer causing substances than tobacco smoke. Long time marijuana smokers often suffer from bronchitis." There is a lot more information on the website adrugfreeworld.org
  18. sjh1983

sjh1983 Member

i dont believe its a big deal i know someone who done it for years and he finds it helps him to concentrate.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Sjh1983, I am sure there are countless others who share a different story. It still doesn't get a thumbs up from me and based on some of what I have been reading 'it's a big deal'. Dispute if you will what is contained in this link. I am always open to meaningful debate.
    http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/marijuana/the-harmful-effects.html
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

In the great scheme of things, I don't think marijuana is a big deal at all. It is certainly far less harmful than tobacco and alcohol, both of which are perfectly legal. The media would do well to turn their attention to the damage that Big Pharma is doing, or to ways in which addicts can be helped rather than over-sensationalising something that is relatively harmless.