An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

It's not only nicotine addiction.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I read recently that there are more chemicals that are addictive in cigarettes, in fact some are more addictive then nicotine.
    Do you think that's why people sometimes don't do so well when the use nicotine replacement therapy?
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Quiet a deductive thought. Tobacco has been analyzed and found to contain over 400 chemicals like tar, cyanide, ammonia, carbon monoxide and many others. Research has so far zeroed on nicotine as the major addictive principle in cigarettes. More research needs to be carried out. Nicotine is such a powerful stimulant and as little as 3 grams has been tested in the lab and shown to have the ability to kill mice.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I suppose that could be one reason why nicotine gums and the like don't help some smokers beat their addictions. They could get their "nicotine fix" but they'd still be craving some of the other substances in tobacco which would still force them to smoke cigarettes. I believe though if someone has the will to win, they can resist the cravings and overcome the addictions.
  4. Joethefirst

I agree, it is strange how people still crave cigarettes even with nicotine replacement therapy.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think you might have a point on this one. It's a known fact that cigarettes have a lot of chemicals in them. People could be addicted to the chemicals as well as the nicotine. So if you only try to deal with the nicotine addiction that might not be enough. I think you would have to detox your self as well.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yeah, I always thought that among all those hundreds and hundreds of chemicals found in a cigarette, a couple of them had to be also an addictive substance. So yeah, it makes total sense. My fiance is super addicted to cigarettes, and I highly doubt he will quit anytime soon :( Those nasty toxic sticks are so highly addictive!
  7. Joethefirst

Cigarettes are highly designed, we often think that it's just a peace of paper, filter and tobacco. The reality is that they use a lot of different chemicals to keep it hummed or dry it out faster. Some of these chemicals are just as addictive as nicotine is.
  8. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

There are certainly other chemicals besides nicotine in cigarettes that make it so addictive. The smoking part and the social aspect is also something you can't replicate with gums and patches. Just chewing nicotine gum is just not the same experience as smoking cigarettes.
  9. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Thanks for bringing that up. I've never thought of that. You're right @Joethefirst. There are other chemicals in cigarettes that the person may be addicted to. And it may be a factor in the ineffectiveness of nicotine replacement therapy in some people. The focus is more on nicotine, but we should also be looking at other possible chemicals that may be addictive that should be dealt with.
    Joethefirst likes this.
  10. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I think that is mostly nicotine that gets a person hooked. However, there are plenty of other drugs like tar, cyanide, and gasoline mixed into a cigarette that could have an effect.
  11. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

That is right, but nicotine is the main component, like the most harmful component of the cigarette, of coursethere are more harmful components that make cigarettes addictive but nicotine is the principal one.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This is exactly what I was about to say - I absolutely think a big part of it is the social aspect to smoking. At one of my old workplaces, basically everyone smoked, to the point that you didn't really feel like a part of the overall group if you weren't a smoker - sad, isn't it? So I think maybe a lot of people who try to quit can handle the nicotine withdrawals and overcoming the draw towards that, but miss the social aspect and that's what keeps them doing it.
  13. Joethefirst

Yes, if it was just as simple as replacing the nicotine people wouldn't want a cigarette if they were using nicotine replacement therapy. It does make it easier but it's not perfect.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that might be true, since even the smell of tobacco leaves can be addicting already. I also think it depends on the person if he has an addictive personality. Like me for example. I used to smoke but I never got addicted to it.