An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

It's not the same anymore

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by peetbernadis, Apr 17, 2016.

1. peetbernadis

peetbernadis Active Contributor

Since I stopped drinking(that's around 10 years now) I've tried a couple of drinks again two or three times, but it just wasn't the same as when I was really drinking. I was not addicted ...just decide to change my lifestyle completely. Stopped smoking, stopped drinking, stopped burning the midnight candle. But taking that drinks again ...it had no effect on me. Once I even finished a bottle of brandy on my own and at the end of it ...nothing.
    So I think I'm better off without it.
  2. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

You most certainly are. In most instances, we drink because it makes us feel better. It is self-medication. When we are healed of our issues, we no longer need alcohol anymore because we no longer need any form of medication! I have had the same experience.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, sometimes we associate how we are at one point of our life and the substance abuse, maybe as you've said you're in a better place now, and you don't need those substance or behavior to make you feel better, because you already are, and that sounds wonderful to me. :)
    Keep it up!
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's great that you've come to the realization that you're better off without it. I think that hindsight is often something that provides us with a lot of clarity - and having changed your life style and coming to the conclusion that it's just not worth it anymore is great.

Proud of you that you've said it's just not worth it - well done! :)
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Occasional drinking is more than acceptable. The important thing is that you're still able to exercise discernment and control your senses as you see fit even while drinking. That's why moderation is always advised. However, becoming addicted to alcohol to the point of altering your behavior and making one wrong decision after another are scenarios every social drinker must avoid.

Kudos to you for successfully toning down your drinking habits!
  6. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I've had to give up drink a number of times in the past, but my last drink was pretty similar to how you've described it: I just had no interest in it. I don't know if this will last forever - it's been 3 years, and absolutely no cravings or desire for alcohol - and I don;t know why it happened like that. Perhaps some wisdom was operating at a fundamental level inside me, and it just made me turn away from it once and for all. And not before time, either. I've been through a lot with my addictions, and lost too much. I don't want to go through that ever again.....
  7. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

That's a great way to put it @peetbernadis , you're better off without it. It's great to know one can decide on what path to follow. I'm sure it's because you have been on that road before that is why it doesn't faze you anymore.

All the same, I'm glad you made the right decision.
  8. Fyrion

Fyrion Active Contributor

Very impressive @peetbernadis . And without a doubt, you are better off without alcohol. Hope surely the issue that made you drink also disappeared. Now you are stronger.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Wow, that's great, that you were able to feel nothing out of those alcoholic substances. I think I have a long way to go before I can get to your point. But I'm getting there... I hope so. And your story, your experience, just makes me want it more. I want to not crave these substances. I want to be free from them. I want to be able to enjoy life without them. I'm just starting out... But I know I'll get there with a little help and support.

You know, that point where it isn't even important anymore? That's what I really want. Where I see that substance and tell myself, "I don't want that, it isn't going to make my life better." I guess that's what any person in recovery wants. The courage and strength to face those cravings and in the end, not have them anymore.

And since you have that, I have high hopes that maybe one day... One day, I won't crave them anymore as well.
  10. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

That's the key to success, to change our lifestyle, that's the only way to make it. If we think we can stop consuming and have the same life we are very wrong.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I know that feeling. I used to drink hard alcohol to get drunk when I went out to eat or was at social functions. Then I switched to just having a glass of wine at home to relax every once in a while and now I really can't stand hard liquor at all. I have a drink and it does not taste good and I start to feel like crappie after. I will stick to my occasional glass of wine.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I guess you have become used to not having it. It sounds like you enjoy your life even when sober. When you can cope with life without alcohol it just seems like it won't matter if you have it or not. Maybe your lifestyle is the reason you don't need to drink.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is really a good thing. It will not make you addicted to drinking again and right that better to live without it. Good to know that you was able to get rid of those addictions years ago and enjoying life more.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'm one of those people who believes someone who has been an addict shouldn't ever touch the drug they were addicted to. Overcoming an addiction is one victory, permanently staying off the drugs is a life-long fight. Your decision not to drink alcohol again @OP, is the right one. Never look back.
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Indeed, you are better off without alcohol and cigarettes. You've made the right decision when you turned your back on them. Because of it, you are able to turn your life around. Good job.
  16. oportosanto

That is a fact @Rainman, if we were addicts and we are clean no way we can try the drug again or we will return to the same situation.
    Rainman likes this.
  17. ChristianRO

ChristianRO Member

I am really glad for you, @peetbernadis ! Stories like yours motivate me to make changes to my life too. I don't have drinking issues, but I do smoke a pack of cigs a day. I always finish the day with one last cigarette and think to myself: "God, I'm so stupid. I am intoxicated again, that's it! From tomorrow on, I won't smoke anything."

And next morning I light a cigarette to start my day... So disappointing. I think I am not ready to say STOP.
  18. oportosanto

Well, that's the big deal right there Christian, if you are not ready to quit you will never do it. You need to say enough and stop.
  19. Bmac

Bmac Member

I don't believe in this as a source of recovery! It may send the wrong message to a true alcoholic who has a physical allergy to alcohol. It's basically telling an alcoholic that controlled drinking is possible and in most unfortunate case is not. A moderate temper drinker can. But not a true alcoholic. It's a disease like any other, would you tell a person dependent on insulin to live that after a while they can go on with life without it? Prolly not, it's a death sentence!
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I know a few people that have said the same thing as the OP and they've quit drinking for whatever reason and then later found that it's not the same anymore if they've had a drink since.

I associated alcohol with a certain time in my life, and now my life as moved on, so as the alcohol, and I think that's the best way to describe my situation.