An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I’ve began quitting Suboxone, advice/support needed

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by wishfulthinking99, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Hello, I am 30 year old male who is quitting Suboxone and I wanted to first share why I want to quit, how it’s been so far, and ask for others’ input, advice, support on the issue.

Was first prescribed Suboxone in Jan2019 during residential Tx, have stayed on it since at an 8mg dosage. I felt great about being on it at first obviously, and I owe a lot of my success in rebuilding my life in this past year to the stability provided to me by Suboxone.

For that I’m grateful, but I’ve become very aware of how much I dislike being on it for quite some months now. I am tired of seeing myself with pinhole pupils, tired of waking up and having to have that nasty tasting strip in my mouth, tired of just knowing that I’m dependent on it. I dislike my dependence on having to spend money on frequent doctor appointments just to prescribe me another month of the medication. Also I don’t like the stigma associated with Suboxone use, and yes there is still a stigma especially in recovery communities. All in all I just want to live a life free from the burden of having to see a doctor frequently so that I can consistently take medication that reinforces my need to keep seeing a doctor. It’s silly, it’s why I wanted to quit using heroin and meth in the first place.

and now that I have 13 months clean from heroin and meth and anything bad and illegal like that, I feel ready to rid myself of this crutch that is Suboxone.

So here’s how quitting has been going:

Easy at first, now it’s a real bitch. Little over 2 weeks ago I started cutting my dose by about 10%. I then began to feel like I was dragging it out because I felt no withdrawals, so I’ve been halving the dose everyday. I tried taking nothing this morning as yesterday I took only a 1/4 strip and I quickly began to start withdrawing. So I decided to cut a millimeter wide long strip and take that. It just barely took the edge off the withdrawals and so tomorrow I guess I plan to take none? I just want to get the first 72 hours over with. I mean even I keep making these doses impossibly smaller I’m going to feel like **** for 3 days eventually right?

I don’t know what to expect from here on out but I’m committed. Even with these withdrawals today and not for a long time have I contemplated getting heroin and relapsing. I’m committed to coming off Suboxone, but a lot of my friends and family are worried about me doing this. But they don’t understand the slavery of being on a medication that keeps you well, even if it is more culturally accepted than illegal substances.

I know a lot of my friends that I got clean with will be not only proud, but I think they will be astonished to see that I have got off Suboxone, I think they have their doubts.

I just moved so I’m in between jobs so this is the perfect time to rid myself of this Suboxone, I just want to be successful.

Is there any feedback, advice, comments or tips you think are helpful please share
    Davers and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Hi there that's great news to hear your ready to live without dependence. Congratulations

I have weaned myself off of suboxone about 9 months ago after taking it for 8+ years it can be done just go slow and you wont feel much withdrawl. The anxiety is killer though but it will go away. I had access to a medicine called Gabapentin from my Dr and it took 80% of the withdrawls away.

Let me know if you would like to know how I tapered down and I'd be happy to share.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Davers likes this.
  3. Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. Gabapentin would have been a great idea, has helped before, but unfortunately my health insurance termed last month so it may not be available to me.
    And yes I would love to hear how you tapered off of it.
    SoberCoach likes this.
  4. Davers

Davers Community Champion

So glad yr 'Wanting' to get off the Sub's .

I think you will be successful given your time on it & your age .

I've never come off Sub's but 3 days sounds short .
    Best Wishes & Keep that Quitting attitude going.
    SoberCoach likes this.
  5. SoberCoach

SoberCoach Member

Davers likes this.
  6. lovecraftXIX

lovecraftXIX Member

Quitting smoking is quite tricky. To do it successfully, you need to have a lot of willpower. I smoked for more than 10 years, and during that time, I noticed my health deteriorating. I decided to quit smoking and use the money saved to buy health insurance. To carry out my plan, I immediately chose health insurance here https://www.remedigap.com/medicare-supplements/medicare-plan-n-vs-plan-g/ and bought it. Every time I thought about smoking, I remembered about the insurance which would cure me in case of an accident.