An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I've Tried Smoking & Alcohol, Yet I Don't Want More

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by SashaS, Feb 19, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I know it sounds silly but after trying all sorts of things in my life that could have lead to addiction, I've never become addicted. There were a few things along the way, chewing gum, gaming and browsing the internet for hours but when it came to smoking, drugs and alcohol, I've never wanted more.

I tried alcohol at a young age and I've hated the taste of every drink I tried. That was enough to put me off and I haven't drank alcohol in a really long time. At parties I turn it down due to the fact that I simply don't want or need it.

I've tried smoking cigarettes and vaporizers and I enjoyed it, smoked for a month then just stopped. I can't remember why, but I've never smoked ever since, I've just never felt the need for it. Within that month I went days without smoking, only smoking a little at a time, then simply not wanting more.
    I could say the same about marijuana, I tried it once, enjoyed it, then never tried it again.

It's as if I'm immune or something. I haven't drank or smoked in almost ten years. I'm never going to try drugs or anything like that but I'm really enjoying living a healthy life. I hope this signifies to anyone who is the opposite of me that you can live quite easily without it. You just have to have faith.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well consider yourself very fortunate that you never got addicted to anything, because it is a problem for many of us in this group or with our loved ones. I guess maybe there is something to be said for having an addictive personalty, but really I think most people can get addicted to things if they use them often enough.
    SashaS likes this.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story, if you have no addiction issues, then why are you here? Do you have a relative who does have issues with addictions? If so, then I must say you couldn't be in a better place :) This community is awesome, specially if you need someone to talk to, ask for advice or clear some doubts.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Thanks, I don't have any issues myself, but I like reading about other people's issues and helping them out, as I am quite knowledgeable in that field. I do have friends who have addictions and I did post a story about one a few days ago. I enjoy being in forums where everyone is supportive and happy to help each other.
  5. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I tried smoking and did not feel like I wanted to do it again. I did Marijuana a few times but felt absolutely nothing and I would've said the same thing about alcohol but there was this particular time that I was going through depression and I really enjoyed the liquor. I eventually became addicted but its best to be grateful that you don't have the urge to use such and stay away from them.
    SashaS likes this.
  6. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

To each is own...alcohol/drugs affect different people in different ways. It is all about the individual and what they prefer to do and not do. I think we should never pass judgement because there might come a time where it just might be the day we want to take the drug or drink the alcohol and get hooked. I never say never...I don't know what the future holds.
    SashaS likes this.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

You are lucky that you don't have that addictive personality that so many people have. Consider yourself a lucky one. Alcohol and drugs have destroyed many lives. It all started out by somebody deciding to try something and then it got a hold of them. It is sad and tragic when that happens. I, too, have never had a drug or alcohol addiction but I am far from perfect. I am dealing with an alcoholic husband who is also a cocaine addict. It is terrible to try to help somebody who you love and they refuse the help because they aren't ready to give up the drugs and alcohol.
  8. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

Count your blessings and thank God for your immunity against addiction. Either by genetics or design, we all react to different stimulants in different ways. Some of us are cursed with the urge to want more and even more while a few lucky souls can simply say no and not feel deprived of anything. Thanks for confirming to us that there is indeed life without alcohol, drugs, and other substances.
  9. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

You are very brave to admit this and show others how to stay away from this behavior and be a leader. The world already has too many followers...we need leaders to stand up and say this is not cool and we need to be preserving ourselves for longevity. We try these things and never think about the consequences until they are actually happening, and sometimes it may be too late.
  10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@SashaS Hello and welcome to this forum! It is nice to hear that even though you had tried all sort of things you had never been into addiction and you are now living a healthy life. It's great and continue inspiring other people by your story. Have a wonderful and blessed life.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

Don't force yourself into taking drugs. It will be hard for you to quit if you have friends who abuse drugs. You need to stay clean, completely. You should also know the disadvantages of taking alcohol and other drugs. Never attend parties where you will be trying taking different alcoholic beverages, addiction starts like that. Keep motivating yourself and look for friends who never abuse any drugs.
  12. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I wish I could say the same even a little bit. I guess I took the much longer and scarier and dangerous and costly path, but oh well. Consider yourself lucky, because while I agree that we can all live healthy lives without these substances, for many of us the problems occur from stages in our lives when we are incapable of making rational choices.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good for you. :)
    I have also tried drinking alcoholic beverages and just like you, I did not like it so I have not tasted it again ever since. I have never tried smoking and just the smell of it can give me headache. Right that it is better to have a healthy living.