An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Judge Mathis

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by karmaskeeper, Sep 16, 2015.

1. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I just had to post this I was watching Judge Mathis on television. This woman was trying to get back child support from her ex. Anyway the ex was a drug abuser street drugs as well as prescription. He was clean, and had been clean a while. The judge ask if he was NA he answered no it's not for me. I have done this on my own, and don't need that. The judge laughed and told him he would relaspe. That made me so mad I have been clean for 5 years with no help from AA or any other group. Just like the guy on the show said he did it because he had will power, and made up his mind to do so. I as well did the samething yes judge mathis it is possible. Those programs don't work for everyone because everyone isn't there to seek help they are there because they where forced into it period.
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Sometimes the media distorts the facts when it comes to the issues of substance abuse. I guess what they are after is to increase their viewership with little regard to the real facts. And the saddest thing is that what they are doing is reversing the gains made in the fight against substance abuse.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well most people do need the support of something outside themselves. I am glad you recovered and have maintained clean! However, You as an addict know how difficult it can be. I am not saying AA or NA is necessarily for everyone, I think the judge in general has the right idea. I do think if not NA or AA it is very helpful for individuals to be in touch and supported by groups and or people that can help aid them in their recovery. I think there probably needs to be something well known for people who don't feel they benefit from NA or AA.
  4. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I didn't see that episode but hearing about it makes me angry as well. Not everyone needs a 12 step group to get sober. Yes, many do but some people are motivated enough to do it on their own or have close friends who help them get clean. Let me guess...the judge ended up ruling against him?
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

@karmaskeeper Yay for 5 years! That rocks!

Groups aren't for everyone. If someone has an excellent support structure around them or has a compelling reason to quit then willpower can often be enough. Of course, not everyone is lucky enough to be surrounded by strength and this is where groups really do come into their own.

The main thing is staying clean though. It doesn't matter how you get there. I think it was pretty unprofessional of this judge to condemn this guy to eventual failure and it seems as though she hasn't got a clue.
  6. karmaskeeper

I agree that groups do help people, but not all people. The judge didn't have to laugh at him that is all I'm saying. He could have said job well done congrats on getting clean I wish you the best. Instead of laugh in his face it was rude that show like many like it is just a circus act to me amusing.
  7. karmaskeeper

Yes he did rule aginst the guy.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It is possible for someone to do it on there own. I'm not saying that rehab doesn't help at all, but without will power nothing will help. I've known people who have been to rehab and still relapsed and never quit drugs. I don't see why he would laugh at that. There have been plenty of people who quit drugs without going to rehab.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I agree. That was bad judgment on the judge's part. He definitely shouldn't have laughed at him either. They are too cocky and full of themselves. I hope the guy that was on there keeps it up.
  10. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Not everyone who enters NA is forced to go. Like some bloggers pointed out some people don't have a strong support system in their lives and they need help outside of themselves to help them quit or stay clean. My aunt had a strong support system but she chose to go to NA when she first quit cocaine 18 years ago and she still continues to go today. No one in our family had a cocaine addiction and she felt better interacting with people who could relate to what she was going through. She continues to utilize this program till this day. Like it was pointed out not everyone needs to utilize NA or AA to help them with their addictions but some do and they choice to utilize these programs willingly.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I don't watch Judge Mathis, but I don't feel that most of these TV judges are all that they are cracked up to be. I really don't like Judge Judy. Judge Joe Brown just ended up in jail for contempt of court. I mean they are their to let people watch a bit of the legal system in practice, not because they are great judges. I would never go on one of those shows, unless I absolutely knew I was right, it would be so embarrassing to be called stupid on national TV.