An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Juicing oranges and grapefruit to curb cravings

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by michaelrydell, Aug 14, 2015.

1. michaelrydell

michaelrydell Member

A friend told me that I should buy a juicer and start juicing oranges and grapefruit to curb my strong morning cigarette cravings, and eventually quit for good. It's a healthy thing to do of course, but has anybody has any success quitting or at least a 50% reduction in smoking by doing this or something similar?
  2. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I have never hear of juicing as an alternative or something to curb cravings but I guess any healthy habit can be a way to quit smoking. In some ways healthy habits like juicing or exercising can be addictive to so it could veer you away from your cravings. If ever you buy a juicer and start juicing, let us know if it works and also don't stop at oranges and grapefruit, there are a lot of juicing recipes online that are fun and yummy.
  3. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I haven't tried that, but maybe it's a decent solution. :p I have a blender though, and I'm not planning to buy the juicer in the near future, but I might try making myself some healthy smoothies each day in the morning and see how it will work out for me.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

There was awhile where I'd drink orange juice in the mornings for unrelated reasons. I noticed no difference at all although I wasn't exactly looking for one. Can't hurt to try though.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've never done this but it seems like a healthy hobby. I've heard of all kinds of ways to quit smoking, but this sounds like the healthiest one. The great thing about this is you can get some good vitamin c in your body to fight of cancer. It's always great to replace a unhealthy habit with a healthy one. Good luck and much success with quitting smoking.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is going to help. Flushing the toxins out by going raw. My friend did apple cider vinegar baths to detox the cravings. She swore it worked.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've never heard of this either to help quit smoking but anything is worth a try. Sometimes even if it doesn't actually help physically, mentally it caould act as an incentive.

Even if it doesn't work, at least it's an healthy way to get vitamins in your body that you may not have been getting before.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It can work. Orange juice I read somewhere acts as a detox agent. It clears nicotine from your body real fast. Once it's cleared out you won't have any more cravings for nicotine. But while it does work, I don't know how long it takes for the remedy to get the job done but it shouldn't matter anyway. Orange juice is good for your health.
  9. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I am sure that drinking fresh juices will curb cravings because your body is getting a lot of vitamins and nutrients that it is lacking. When you are using then you are just depleting nutrients that your body needs to thrive.
  10. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This is a great way to detox your body and of course some more raw food would be great. The thing about this is to have a good juicer. Someone mentioned a blender. Blender is actually better solution because in the juicer a lot of pulp is wasted and pulp has a lot to offer. In blender you know how it is, you have chunks and you can add raw eggs or milk. There are those expensive juicers but i am talking about 2000 dollars or so. As for the quitting cigarettes with this method i have a friend who tried it and he told me that in the end it was his will not the oranges. He reduced and in the end gone cold turkey.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that it is a healthy thing to do. It may not work for everyone but at least give it a try since it will do good for you and not just possibly get rid of your addiction. You can variate your juices as well to enjoy it more.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, I guess every alternative that can make you smoke less/quit would be good - not only drinking fresh juice. I've completely stopped drinking sodas a while ago, I only drink water/fruit juice and it's really healthy, definitely better than everything in the market.
  13. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I have never heard of this method before. Is it the act of juicing the oranges that curb the cravings or does it include drinking the juice also. I guess you have to try and see what works for you.
  14. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I have never heard of juicing as an aide to help quit smoking, however, it is worth a shot! If nothing else, oranges and grapefruit are excellent sources of vitamin C, so you will have a large immune system boost during flu and cold season this year! Best wishes as you continue on your journey to a healthier you. Let us know if juicing works for you!
  15. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Wow what a neat idea. I've actually never heard of that technique before, but it's a very healthy option worth trying. One technique that has helped me curb the morning cravings is drinking my morning coffee accompanied by 5 or 6 little squares of sharp cheddar cheese. I know it sounds funny, but for some weird reason they help me curb the cravings for several hours, and so instead of smoking my first cigarette of the day at 8:00am-8:00am, I'll be able to hold off at least until 1:00pm-2:00pm.
  16. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I have never heard of this process. I don't think this would work for me. I am addicted to the habit of smoking. The idea that orange juice or grapefruit can help sounds odd to me. I drink orange juice all the time and it does absolutely nothing for me and my nicotine habit.
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I haven't tried this, but would there be any loss? Even if you don't manage to quit smoking this way, you will get some additional vitamins. Each body is different, so you won't know if it works until you try it. Just give it a shot. It won't hurt.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't heard of this alternative before this post, but I guess that it can work. Drinking natural fruit juice it's always healthy, it has a lot of vitamins and can help you to liberate toxins out of your body, so I think that you should keep drinking it.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

I think that is an encouragement, it is supposed to switch your mind to taking something else when you feel to smoke. It is a good idea as long as it doesn't have a craving effect. Others say that you can be taking tea when you feel to smoke. Try not to be addicted to these type of foods which might be another problem.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have never heard about trying this before, but my guess is that this could help by... don't know... making the cigarette taste bitter? I am so desperate I'd try giving my fiance a juice of those two critics and see if it works, but to be honest I'm not so sure this would work. I have heard there are some essential oils that people use to help quit smoking, that makes a bit more sense to me.