An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Just a little help.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by snlich, Dec 29, 2014.

1. snlich

snlich Member

Hiya!

Just stopping by for a little encouragement. All the posts here really help me out. It took me a while to figure out that I really have to work on staying sober. I was in denial about it for a long time, but any time I'd say "oh, I'm good, I don't need to worry about it", I found myself relapsing.

I've been doing good lately. Thankfully for the most part, it is pretty easy for me. It just seems like once a week or so (especially when I am bored) I get the urge to "hit the spot" just for "a few, to have a good time"

I know, I know. It sucks. I really wish I could get into the mentality of "Hey- stop it. You know that you will do more and get more and it will end up just causing more problems." Why is it that our brains try to fight us so much?

Anyway, thank you all for the help. It means a ton to me.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  2. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

You can do it and you're not alone. When the urge hits and the addiction calls, you can ignore it and choose to do something else. We all have those urges, hear the dark voices. Habit is a powerful thing. And the urge to do what feels good can be very strong. The body's urges are like the urges of any animal. Immediate and without thought of the long term consequences.
  3. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Admitting that you need help is always the first step in the right direction. It took me a while to accept that I couldn't do it on my own and my family has been very supportive now that I have told them that I needed some extra help. This is going to be very hard at times and at other times you will be proud of yourself and how far you have come. Those moments are worth it! Hang in there!
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I understand you. "Just a bit" is a mentality that works... for a lot of things and a lot of people, which is why they encourage moderation rather than complete cutting-off from something. And it can be easy to have this as the go-to thought when you see so many other people acting accordingly to this thought, and you want to join in the fun.

But everyone is different and it's important to remember that. Because for many, "just a bit" is not just a bit; it's "just the beginning, it leads to more" and more can be a slippery road, as we know. It's not that "just a bit" is bad, really, it is the matter of control. You have to act in a way that you have the control and that you keep it. And not making excuses; because not sober people fool themselves thinking they have this control.

Basically, if you've been down that road before, you should know how to recognize the front door and, even if it looks like a fun visit, better not cross the threshold. Go to different houses, mate. Don't give up on fun, but learn from bad experiences. :)

Like sillylucy mentioned -- being proud of yourself will make you happier in the long run.
  5. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Pick up a hobby that helped me a lot. Reading is good too. Just take a long walk if need be. One thing is for sure the hard part is the being changing a life style isn't easy. It can be done just remember if you have a set back don't give up. Let it make you stronger and more determined.
  6. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

It is so great to hear that you have the strength to ask for help. I know that it is not easy kicking an addiction. As many people always say physical activity really helps. Endorphins are so kick ass. I took up running and the best thing about is that it is free.
  7. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Just continue with the great start to change you are experiencing now. Keep at it and you will be fine. Your future is so bright, you'd have to wear shades. ;)
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story. It really is difficult to fight with our own minds sometimes but the most important thing to do, I think, is not to beat yourself up too much about it. Just acknowledge that it is difficult and try to work with it and if you have a few missteps then understand that it's okay. I'm happy to hear you are doing well and I wish you luck on the road ahead.
  9. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

Having an addiction is like being around the worst kind of friend you can imagine. It is really difficult, but he or she thinks you're a pushover. You're not and you can do this if you keep up the desire to quit. The desire to quit has to be stronger than any other desire you come across. So keep that desire to quit propped up as best you can my friend.
  10. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

The best way is to hang around people who are happy without being under the influence. Getting involved with a local church will definitely take your mind off of staying sober, eventually you will not even remember to take a drink because of your persistence. Always keep praying and meditate in the word of God I will continuously pray for your sucess in all that you do.
  11. weepforsweep

weepforsweep Member

Don't ever give in to your urges. When you are tempted to do drugs, just think of all the people this will impact. Best of luck to you and everyone on their recoveries.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

We all go through those moments, and you will get past that moment as you always do. Just keep yourself focused despite what urges you may be feeling.
  13. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Glad you're doing better snlich, and doing what it takes to be sober. I think most people fail to succeed in their abstinence from drugs is because their plans were not "bullet-proof" enough against their own emotions, which the latter is a far stronger energy to manage than the former. A good way I learned how to reinforce my plan to stay sober is daily "affirmations" that I repeat to myself, this is how I consciously remind myself of my belief to quit and thus this repetition will seep into my so-called unconsciousness where most of human emotions are sourced from. How you can stay strong and maintain your focus snlich, and if ever in doubt or need of advice, never be afraid to ask on this forum or whomever you believe is beneficial in counseling.
  14. mwixief

mwixief Member

Every new day is an opportunity to get encouraged and stay sober. There is always hope and as long as you have the desire in you to be well, you will be well.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's psychological dependence and happens to be quite hard to combat. Tame your mind and the body will follow, so it's said. But it's not easy. Addiction is a habit you acquire and can be replaced with a new habit. Start learning something new which you'll do at the time you used to use whatever it is you used. In time your mind will unlearn the old habits and embrace the new, productive ones.
  16. ic3squid

ic3squid Member

Good on you for staying sober, but always remember that every day you spend sober is a good day, and that good day helps you out a lot in life. This advice will hopefully keep you sober and before you know it, you won't even think about using again. :)
  17. globulon

globulon Member

Great job on your recovery, snlich! I know the rare temptation must be very strong at times, but you've beaten it back multiple times, so i'm confident you'll succeed in the long-term. Keep sharing your stories and remember that you're not alone!
  18. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Take it one day at a time and congratulations on deciding to overcome this addiction. I was so addicted to alcohol some years back that I never thought I would be able to overcome it. I am so thankful that I finally did. You will get there; you have the right attitude to beat this addiction. Wishing you lots of luck.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah this is what happens. You ask why is it that our brains try to fight us so much? Simply its brainwashing. Sounds ridiculous but listen to yourself and how your mind talks to you. Conditioning, subliminal, direct marketing, commercials, peer pressure, hypnotism, trance state etc.. Minds need to have the brainwashing reversed or brainwashed with healthy programming. This kind of stuff is all over the place; TV, radio, internet, or wherever. Conditioning and brainwashing can starts when you are small child. People often are so clueless about this.
    Stop it is not the phrase you want. Its, No. Change the thought to no and go in a different direction. Take the old phrases and associate them with new ones or make up some completely different ones. There's nothing fun about quitting having a good time. Make something fun with your alternative method. You might find something way better than destroying your body to have a good time. Its self abusive and destructive.
  20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @snlich! Thanks for dropping by, and sharing a little bit about yourself to us here. Wow, I am glad you're doing very well lately. I believe you can really achieve sobriety. Just stay focused, determined, and patient. Don't rush recovery though. Take it one step at a time. I would be rooting for you. Keep us posted! :)