An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Just found out my daughter has been on meth at least 2months.

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Heartbroken mom, Dec 31, 2016.

1. I don't know what to do and how to help her. I'm on my way in to her town to see her but don't even know where she is. I'm desperate I feel lost sad lonely depressed and helpless.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Heartbroken mom... Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, but I'm very happy that you reached out to us. Dealing with an addicted child is not easy; I know because my son has struggled with addiction for several years. But I'm here to tell you that you can learn the tools needed to stay afloat.

I think you will find a lot of useful information in a book called Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's written specifically for partners/parents of people with addiction and it's the best book I've ever read on the subject. It teaches you how to communicate better with your loved one, how to help motivate them to want to change, and--most importantly--how to take care of yourself while you're dealing with your loved one's issues. (Self-care is absolutely essential when dealing with an addicted loved one!)

There are some other books that may help you, too. I wrote about some of the best ones in this blog:

6 Essential Books for Those with an Addicted Loved One

When you talk to your daughter, remember to do so with love and compassion. Doing that works way better than confrontation and anger. If you get angry and judgmental, that will only drive her further away. I always tell parents to talk to their child like they're talking to a friend's child. You wouldn't get angry and yell at a friend's child, would you? Of course not. So why yell at your own child?

Unconditional love is also a big thing. Your daughter is not a bad person. She's just sick with a disease called addiction. So love her, no matter what. It's not always easy, but it's so important. Love the addict...hate the disease.

We are here to help and support you any way we can. Believe me, you are not alone. So feel free to come here and post anytime, whether it's to ask questions, seek advice, or just vent. That's what we're here for.

I am sending you big hugs of hope, and I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. I know you're feeling all kinds of feelings right now. Know that everything you're feeling is normal. And don't worry...You will figure out what to do. Just do the best that you can right now and educate yourself as much as possible. You will learn as you go along. And you can never go wrong with love.

Love and light to you, my friend.