An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Just One Drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Observant, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Observant

Observant Member

While alcohol may be good;especially those drinks mixed so well. It can be very damaging to a confused,angry or depressed mind. It will enhance those negative mind frames and have some very unwanted results. My friend was a very depressed person who would use alcohol as a source of escape from reality. Sadly, this alcohol abuse led her to suicide.
    buddha joe 1 likes this.
  2. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Alcohol and depression go hand-in-hand, not least because alcohol is itself clinically classed as a CNS depressant, but also because they have mutually reinforcing effects on the psyche. I'm so sad to hear of your friend. Perhaps her story might illuminate for others the path which she so tragically failed to walk.....
    buddha joe 1 and Donnchadh like this.
  3. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Alcohol is a depressant. I'm sorry for what happened to your friend...:/
    Donnchadh likes this.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I'm so sorry to hear that. A lot of people, those who are depressed , and dealing with problems sometimes turn to alcohol, either for comfort or to numb their feelings. I'm really sorry that you lost your friend.
    Donnchadh likes this.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The mistake most people make is make the assumption that alcohol will help them deal with stress. But fact is though initially it might appear that it's working as a remedy in the end it will make the depression worse.

If you are depressed never self-medicate. Seek help. Counseling and anti-depressants could help.

p.s Sorry for your loss, Observant.
    Donnchadh likes this.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Any kind of abuse of any substance is going to aggravate a situation and make it worse. People drink to get relief from the day to day and change their mood, but sadly it seems you need more and more of it to get the same results and it ends up having a negative effect on their body and mind.
    Donnchadh likes this.
  7. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It's the chicken or the egg question. Sometimes the alcohol is a remedy to the depression or it could be the alcohol that causes the depression. It's different for each individual. The best thing to do is to treat them both equally.
  8. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That is the issue with any drug whether it is an illegal or prescription drug. If you take them long enough, they become a crutch. You start depending on them and then you can't function without them. This is why it's best to just avoid them if you can.
    Donnchadh and deanokat like this.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was also going to say suicide... because I noticed that when I drank I also tended to stray towards the suicidal path. Specially if you drink it during some ''representative'' dates, just like my mom did. We both felt so sad and depressed when we did, lingering in the terrible past :(
    Donnchadh likes this.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

If you have something bothering you before you drink then it is only being going to magnify with the more alcohol you drink. People say they drink to forget when in reality you don't forget. You just feel more pain. I am sorry to hear of your loss. Such a sad story.
  11. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

It is an awful thing really but alcohol didn't lead her to suicide. Alcohol was there to make sure she will choose the wrong path. I have been addicted and like many others I have never thought about killing myself simply because I am not at that place. I hope that those with suicidal tendencies have somebody around them who can see that and help them accordingly. It is really a sad and unfortunate example but there is no sugar coating about this topic and reality is very stressful lace to be. Alcohol is not an escape.
  12. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I believe that the alcohol would only have magnified her state of depression. I am drawing the line through the situation where alcohol sometimes put persons in a state of stupor. Therefore, it will most likely sink a depressed person into a further state of despair.
    Donnchadh likes this.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I am so sorry about your friend. Basically, for me, alcohol is just an escape and that's why lots of people get dependent on it or even worse, abuse it. For a time, you might feel like you have avoided your problems or even solved them when you drink alcohol. Unfortunately, this is not the case as alcohol is a mask that just hides your problems. The truth is, once you become sober, it's still there and it's still a part of your life. And you have just added alcoholism as a part of your problem.

I just wish that it's easier to find support for people with certain issues like depression. And that it's more acceptable to have these mental illnesses. For some people, they think that we made up these things even though they do exist. It's all in the mind... But what if the mind isn't healthy? What if the problem stems from our minds itself? I think that's what makes mental illnesses so hard to treat.

Add the fact that treatments aren't really helpful at times. And what do we have to do then? I hope we have the answers but sadly, mental illnesses aren't really that easy peasy to have.
    Donnchadh likes this.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Alcohol is a depressant and I think a lot of people think to the contrary. They think it enhances their mood, makes them happier, makes them the life of the party - when in actual fact it really just makes a person feel worse. I think it's dangerous any time a person tries to dull their emotions with alcohol, and I say that from experience!
  15. gloriavitori

gloriavitori Member

Alcoholic liver disease is a term that encompasses the liver manifestations of alcohol overconsumption, including fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, and chronic hepatitis with liver fibrosis or cirrhosis. It is the major cause of liver disease in Western countries.
  16. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends suicide and I wish to offer you my sincere condolences on your tragic loss. I hope you're coping ok with your loss if your not please go and talk to a bereavement therapist it's good to talk about your feelings. Back to your point alcohol is actually is a depressant and you're absolutely right it does enhance the depressed mindset I've seen it so many times in about 50 to 60%of the suicides I've seen in my own community alcohol was the substance used to carry out the final act. Even in my own drinking towards the end I was using 2 liters of alcohol a day and planning my suicide if I hadn't been using alcohol i simply wouldn't have been planning my suicide I know because since I stopped in haven't even thought about suicide. So it's well worth keeping a close eye on depressed people who drink heavy. God bless you and your in my thoughts and prayers I hope life's good to you xx
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2017
    buddha joe 1 likes this.
  17. JulieGarcia

JulieGarcia Member

I am so sorry to hear about it.
    deanokat likes this.