An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Just One More Step

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, Mar 22, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I have dreamed the other night about something that I had to ponder upon when I woke up. It was like the dream was telling me to hold on and not give up with what I'm going through right now because I will never know when the next step would finally be the answer I am looking for.

I realized then that life is not about giving up but it is about keeping your feet moving no matter what. In times when we feel like giving up, always think about that one more step that could make the difference. When you feel so tired from your problems and journeys in life, think about that one more step that could mean the end of your suffering and the beginning of a new life.

When you feel like there's no more hope and you can no longer move, try hard to take that one more step.
    KaseyHopeMartin, MrsJones and Rainman like this.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think your subconscious is telling you to hold on and not give up. No matter what life throws at you, you should keep on going. We all go through hardships, especially during recovery where we can encounter problems along the way. But we must persevere and keep on fighting.
    gracer and MrsJones like this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

“If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.”
    ― Roopleen

No matter how hard something might appear to be or how from victory you appear to be the one thing that makes a difference between failure and success is whether you keep fighting or give up.

If you give up, you most obviously won't win. But if you keep fighting even if you are knocked down numerous times, each time you get up and move forward it takes you a step closer to victory. Persistence in the end will get you what you want.
    gracer, KaseyHopeMartin and MrsJones like this.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I totally relate to what you said about just keeping on moving! Reminds me of a quote - life is like a bicycle, in order to keep your balance you must keep moving! Forward motion is always a good thing as long as you're headed in the right direction :)
    gracer and MrsJones like this.
  5. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

@gracer. Take our hands and we will help you stand and you will be okay for another day.
    gracer and Coolkidhere like this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I agree. Take one more step, no matter how small. Even baby steps will eventually get you to where you want to be.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

What a great dream to have. I love the kind of dreams that later give you some perspective when you are awake. Sometimes our unconscious mind steps on to help us. You have to keep pushing forward every single day and not let matters in life get the best of you.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I agree, even when it seems hard baby stepping in the direction of our goal is one way to get there. I have some tasks now, that almost seem insurmountable.. but I am trying a little every day to get to where I am going. I just hope that when I get there it will have been worth the trip!
    deanokat and gracer like this.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Whenever I'm too tired to even continue on my tasks, I usually force myself to continue still. It might be tiring but I know in the end it will pay off. Even when I have problems, I try to find a solution for it even if it means taking that step. Even if the road is a bit bumpy, I still take the next step. Because I know that that next step might be the solution to the problem. So the verdict here is to continue on despite your struggles, because you never know if your next step is the relief you've been waiting for.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Human beings are not sedentary things. The main difference between plants and human being is that human beings can move and plants cannot. Motion is the character of human being.No matter what they must keep moving. The major difference between human beings and animals is humans can think and animal cannot. Thinking is also a motion.
    gracer likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that most people who have addictions will go through that feeling aswell but you just need to handle it the right way.

It's very hard to get that sense of hope that you need to make it through, but if you can't help yourself, then is it fair to put youtmr troubles
    gracer likes this.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, we should always try to make that first step and never quit, because if we don't try then nothing will happen. You'll never know, that tiny step that you make will change your life forever.
    gracer likes this.
  13. Just keep holding on. After the final step, you have more steps to take in your new path. Keep walking and if you fall don't be afraid to ask for help up. You have a support net here, and I am sure in your real life too. You can do it, you just have to be determined!
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I have just come from a Holy Week vacation and reading all your replies all the more makes me feel renewed and inspired. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts about perseverance and hope. That dream I had made me realize that even our own inner selves have the power to give our tired and broken spirit a little lifting just when we need them the most. We have the ability to help ourselves, to push ourselves and persevere more no matter how hard our troubles are.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

As I always say. Once you remember your reason for trying so hard, it will only push you harder. When in doubt,revert to it. Set it as an alarm note every morning. Remind yourself daily and you will be alright.
    gracer likes this.