An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Just want to say..

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by HalfBeard, Jan 6, 2016.

1. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

People who are pro-marijuana tend to say they can manage it and it is not all that different from alcohol. That being said, almost everyone I know who casually drinks has their life in order, I do not know a single person who smokes marijuana and has their life together. Thoughts?
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Having your life in order can be an illusion. I've seen people have "their life in order" that smoke pot. There is always holes in that illusion. Failed marriage or they don't seem to catch up with money.
    It can really go either way. There are plenty of casual drinkers that "don't have their life in order." Can't really generalize like that about that. There are plenty of people that what society says is having their life in order are actually zombie's walking around in a trance miserable but making everyone think their life is so great. What people do with things that alter their mind is going to define whether they are great or not. There's not an abundance of Einsteins or Van Goghs sitting around creating amazing things after sniffing paint or drinking scotch. Well maybe there are. I don't really think there is anything wrong with any of it, its what someone does while on it. But of course that will directly relate to intelligence of the individual. This is a whole other conversation. Its like Rembrandt died penniless but look at what he created. He never really had his life together but he is one of the most famous artists in history. The only time he was doing well was when he did work for royalty, but that was never enough.
    elles-belles and kassie1234 like this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I liked what @Adrianna said, that having your life in order can be an illusion. I think that's the case with a lot of people, that on the surface level their lives seem all successful and shiny and wonderful - but you just never know what lies just beneath the surface. I've known a few people that had pretty big issues with alcohol under the surface, but on face value they were professionally successful and would only have a drink or two in public.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, there's nothing perfect and "in order" and it has never been. You can never have a stress-free life, or no obstacles, mistakes and failures, but that's the beauty of life. Marijuana, like alcohol, is an addiction (although not that harmful) and it usually means control loss. No one has their life figured out, they just seem to do.
  5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

This made me chuckle. I think the circumstances under which the drugs are usually consumed account for a great deal of the disparity in productivity you're witnessing. Weed is illegal in most places and thus is usually consumed in the privacy of one's home, whereas you can have a drink at a business lunch, you can enjoy a cocktail at a networking mixer or something. There are just way more situations where alcohol is acceptable, both legally and socially, so it's no shocker that a casual drinker is more functional than a stay-at-home pothead.
  6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

A person may have themselves together in one area in life but not in others. This goes true for those not using anything at all. I have heard of such people like "functioning alcoholics" but then again I don't know an alcoholic that could be considered "functioning", how ever you want to define that.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

All I know is that if a habit became an addiction, I don't think your life will always be in order now. You may be a functional addict, but that doesn't mean everything's alright with you, just because you're financially stable or something like that. Anything that is consumed too much is never a good thing.
  8. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

That made me chuckle as well. That's a good point.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

As another user mentioned, there's nobody in this world with perfect life, it purely depends on the meaning that you give to the in order thing. And I'm not pretty sure about the marijuana either, I know that it is bad for your brain but my cousin is a regular marijuana smoker and he's doing pretty well... So I think that it depends on the person.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I guess the definition of "life in order" is different from person to person. One person's order could be another person's chaos. I have known people who smoke marijuana that have successful careers and take good care of their families. You do not need to be a hippy or street bumble to smoke marijuana. I am not at all advocating for the use of the drug, but I can't say that people who do use it do not have their lives in order.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Interesting question that I believe I don't really have the answer for. I am in contact with several weed smokers who would welcome the opportunity to represent themselves and who often insist they have it together and that weed is the answer to the world's problems. Maybe not as dramatic as that but quite recently I listened to a relative resigning himself to a life of weed. It felt like his latest bit of research saw weed being embraced in every tribe and nation. I have to confess the speech left me speechless.

That said from where I sit I don't think he or any of the ones I have been in contact with have it together but the question still has to "who of us really have our lives in order?"
  12. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I couldn't have said it better myself! I absolutely agree with your response Adrianna, especially the part where you say we can't generalize like that! People are different in all kinds of ways and react different to different substances and anything really. So to say drinkers have their lives in order more that pot smokers is terribly skewed.

I know a couple of pot smokers that seem to have their lives in order, I say seem because I am looking at them from the outside/birds view. They take care of themselves; hygiene is on point, they go to work everyday and do what they have to and have pretty okay personal relationships! All I'm saying is that it is different for every individual.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana IMHO isn't as bad as alcohol for those who don't abuse it. However since tolerance will get people to smoke more marijuana to get the same "high" eventually even if their "life is still in order" abusing marijuana thusly will negatively affect their mental health.
  14. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

You must really be observant to notice that. I have only realized it after reading your comment. It is true that most people who drink have their lives in order. However, there are those who drink but still have troubles managing their lives. This also applies to Marijuana. I know of some people who manage their lives well but are still addicts of Marijuana. It all depends with the mentality of a person.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Perhaps one person's idea of having their life in order is different than another's. Of course, addictions to either marijuana or alcohol are possible, but I think that your thoughts on casual use and impact on quality of life are interesting. I think that casual marijuana users would argue that it does not impact their lives in any way, which may be true for the moment, but that does not mean it will not have impact on their physical or mental health in the long run. I know more casual drinkers who have their lives in order than I do marijuana users.
  16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Well, personally, I don't know of anyone close to me who uses marijuana. I know a lot of people who drink alcohol casually and those who are addicted to it. Casual drinkers of course do not seem to have any problems maintaining their careers or schooling. But since I don't know of any individual who uses marijuana casually, I can't make the same argument as you. From forums that I've been to, I know of some people who claim that marijuana has helped them relieve their anxiety and other conditions.