An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Just wanted to share this..

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by trevermorgana, May 5, 2015.

1. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I saved a kitty. It was trapped near my apartment staircase and it could barely use its legs. I think she's about a week and a half old. I went and got some supplies and I've been taking care of it since. Its been a few days and the kitty is starting to walk with her back legs and is slowly regaining her strength. I never knew it was possible for me to want to care for something so much, its a very overwhelming experience. This kitty has given me.. I can't even explain it. Company? Not just company. I think my family may have just gotten a bit bigger.

Just wanted to share that with you guys. Thanks for reading.
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

You did a very kind act and have taken on a very generous responsibilty. Careing for a pet makes us more nurturing people. It is a wonderful way to feel a sense of being needed and satisfaction in that. If you are a person in recovery, this should be a very helpful experience.
  3. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I'm not a cat/kitten person but I have to say 'Ahhh.'

It can be difficult to find the right words sometimes to express how we feel. Thank you for sharing trevermorgana.
  4. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

You did such a great thing by taking this kitten inside and taking care of it. A lot of people would have left it or called humane society to come and pick it up where then it probably would have been put down. Pets are great companions so enjoy her :)
  5. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I love that story!! In a big animal lover so I understand how good it makes you feel. I think it was really nice of you to take care of it.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I can't begin to tell you how filled with emotion I am right now. I type with mixed feelings that include a heavy heart. More than a year ago, I had the rare privilege of being introduced to a kitten my son found while out on the highway. He 'saved' he or so we thought. That cat forever changed my life and now all I have are memories. I lost him under suspicious circumstances some months ago.

Months later I still openly shed tears for him at times. While I never thought I could love a cat being more of a dog person, Twinkle touched me in a way " I cannot explain" . He was my friend and family. His was a life gone too soon. If ever I can put myself in the shoes of anyone in this forum, perhaps it is you.

Thankfully, my dogs are all well, the four of them and they bring lots of joy. Still, Twinkle occupied a special place in my heart that I will never never know how to explain or understand. I just never saw "it" coming. A day never went by that he did not make me smile.

Take good care of the little one Trevermorgoana, and I pray it brings you as much joy as my 'shining star' brought me.
  7. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Oh my God I am so sorry to hear that. I big hug from my part and kitty :). Thank you for your kind words. I promise I will take good care of her.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Thank you. Take lots of pictures and at some point you can share them with us. I have never had to personally deal with a drug or alcohol addiction but I have had to deal with very stressful situations in life and EVERY TIME my pets came through for me. No judgement, no blame, no harsh criticism and and ever loyal.

I hope this is the beginning of a new an exciting chapter in your life and that kitty stays with you much longer than Twinkle stayed with me.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Aww. That is very sweet and kind of you. I am also a cat-person and I once had a similar experience as you. I became a kitty-sitter for a day. One morning, I heard a soft "meow meow" inside my closet, and I was suprised to see a kitten right inside my closet. I didn't know how he even got there. He looked around a week-old as well. I took real good care of him and prepared milk for him. In the evening, her mother cat came looking for him and I let him be reunited with her. It was adorable.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

How did I not run across this thread before? What a wonderful thing you’ve done. Animals do have a funny way of making us feel loved, needed, and worthwhile, don’t they? I hope she’s still doing well under your care :)
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Firstly thank you for saving the kitty. I'm an animal lover with both a dog and a cat, and they're such a part of my family that I really can't imagine life without them!
    I get what you mean about the company side of things - pets are wonderful for that. And the feeling that another living creature is reliant on you for their well being also makes you want to be the best you can for them. Please keep us updated with how the kitty is doing!
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

As someone who co-raises 5 kittens at home, I feel the same way as you do. I never treat our pets as mere pets - they're family to me, my parents and my siblings. Had we more income and more space to spare, we'd have adopted more street cats and dogs. They bring so much joy to our household. You're lucky to have found that kitten and she's lucky to have been picked up by you. People's real hearts are exposed in the way they treat animals.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I know the feeling I found a tiny little puppy crying in a sand bank on a dirt road. I took it home convinced it would probably die. The poor little thing was scared to death. It fit in the palm of my hand I washed the red georgia clay off it. It was in her mouth all over her butt just everywhere I honestly thought she had internal injuries. I wasn't going to let her die there alone, and scared.

Well my profile pic here is that little angel. She is my very best friend in the whole world she saved me just as much as I saved her. I've had her over 3 years now and I can't think of life without her. Lulu is her name and owning my heart is her game. So that little kitty was meant to be found by you it will bring you much love, and happiness best of luck to you both.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

What a nice and rewarding experience, it's certainly not about liking cats or wanting a company, but the opportunity that life gave you to get both of these things, showing you why life is truly worthy.

I'm really happy for you and the poor kitty that has found a home and someone who is going to care for :)
  15. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I love kittens they are so freaking cute, and playful. I have saved a few myself even if I'm not really a cat person. I still know that they are loving, and kind creatures. Pets make great friends no doubt about it.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh that's nice. Yeah sometimes these things happen and we just do what's right. Something like this happened to me. I was living in these little bungalow apartments. There were these two cats in the neighborhood. One belonged to the apartment manager and the other was a stray. The stray was thin and kind of frail. The other was chubby. She was put outside cause they didn't want her in their place. I called the stray "little one." She had a bad cough. I let them come in my place at night to sleep and I fed them. Let them out during the day. Little one was the best she was so smart. Followed you like a dog and did whatever you asked her. She would wait every day for me to come home on the sidewalk. It did make me feel really good when that cough disappeared. Probably it would have continued if she had to stay outside.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

What a heartwarming story. I am glad that you were able to save that kitten and it is now making you feel happy and fulfilled. Animals can give us unconditional love and they won't betray us like humans do, so take good care of that kitten of yours.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  18. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Aww... This is so adorable and heart warming. We have five dogs right now and recently, they were six dogs but our eldest dog passed away. He was about 10 years old though so it was inevitable. Still, he never showed signs of ageing for a few years until this year. And we were quite sad because we weren't able to shower him with attention since we were all very busy.

The other dogs get more attention since they're inside the house. And he lives on our garage, which somehow, may have been the reason why we didn't give much attention to him. We feed him, change his water and give him a bath. But that's about it... We haven't played with him much or given him lots of hugs. And we regret that, every single day.:(

Anyway... I'm just glad you are able to find some company and family with your new kitty. We had a cat as well before, but she died as well.:( You know, they say that cats find their own owners, not the other way around. So maybe it was destiny that you guys have each other now. Take care of each other.:)
  19. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

That's a very kind act that shows what a caring person you are. Take care of your new family member and life will reward you back. If all of us made one random act of kindness we'd surely change the world to a better place.
  20. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Thank you for saving that kitten. An act of kindness goes a long way. Now, that kitty has a loving owner. She's so lucky that you found and rescued her.