An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

K2 aka "Spice"

Discussion in 'Designer Drugs (Synthetic Marijuana, etc.)' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 2, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

What are your views on the substance called K2 aka "Spice?" K2 is often labeled in stores as "potpourri", when in all actuality, it's synthetic Marijuana. A lot of people start using it due to the dramatic difference in price and how inexpensive it is, and others use it if they are in a court program due to how you can pass a urine analysis test while smoking it.

I used to view it as something that wasn't a big deal. My son's father used to smoke it, and I honestly didn't really think anything of it. Our friends and family warned him to stay away from it because it could cause such detrimental side effects, but he didn't listen. Needless to say, it turned him into an absolute monster. Now, to be fair, he was a very abusive person to begin with, but the dramatic effect when he would smoke K2 was horrifying.

Not only did it effect his mood, but I don't buy that they say it is not addicting. I have seen this substance drive other people to tears when they do not have it, and I am not exaggerating. What are your views on this? Do you think the substance is as harmful as they claim?
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I think you'll find all the answers you're looking for here.
    romananthonysmama likes this.
  3. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

Thank you so much! I didn't know someone else had already created it. I didn't think it would be under Marijuana, so I only searched here for a similar thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about it. Thank you so much once again, and I will refer to that thread for further input on it. Thank you!
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't think it's nearly as harmful as they claim. They used to tell us that LSD could cause flashbacks, that weed caused cancer and that krokodil rotted your skin (which we now know was the cause of other chemicals left in the product due to amateur cooks). I haven't seen enough evidence outside of media hype to say whether or not it's harmful. I'm sure we'll know soon enough once some studies come out.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Seriously? Do you know how this stuff is made? It's basically plant matter sprayed with toxic aerosols. That's what studies have showed so far. I'm sure people have died from smoking it. I knew one guy who was real messed up on it, only Spice/K2 user I've ever known. He was addicted and was seriously ill. He had bad withdrawals, would collapse, have convulsions, etc from it. He said it was more addictive than Heroin (he was an ex-Heroin user).
  6. Rob93FL

I've never seen anyone produce spice via aerosol. To my knowledge, the cannabinoids are diluted into a solvent and then sprayed onto the plant matter.
  7. Sparkster

It seems there are actually many different ways that Spice/K2 is produced, depending on it's origin. It's made in a variety of different ways, using substances and ingredients that are legally obtainable. Most types seem to be labelled as Spice/K2 though, regardless of the manufacturing process. Some people use solvents, some use aerosols, some probably have other ways. I guess the main thing is that the ingredients are legal.
  8. bsthebenster

Have you actually seen your friend collapse from convulsions? I have a hard time believing that something more addictive than heroin has little to no evidence to support such claims. And this stuff can be made in other ways than you have described. It goes back to what I was saying about krokodil. Desomorphine on it's own is not toxic, it's the idiots who add terrible stuff to it that makes it toxic.
  9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Is money the real reason one would choose this over weed? Honestly? It doesn't make much sense to me. I know people who have smoked both & adamantly disagree with the comparison. I've never felt they should put this garbage anywhere near marijuana in definition or even in name. At least they got the synthetic part correct.
  10. Rob93FL

Most of the spice smokers I know smoke it because they get drug tested.
  11. Sparkster

He wasn't a friend. I never said he was a friend. He was just a guy I happened to know. No, I didn't personally see him collapse from convulsions but I have seen him in some pretty worrying states.

According to the government:

"Spice contains dried, shredded plant material and chemical additives that are responsible for their psychoactive effects."

and:

"New York City issued a public warning in late July after an increase in emergency room visits related to synthetic cannabinoids."

and:

"Smacked! [another new and legal synthetic marijuana] has been linked to at least 41 overdoses in New Hampshire since August 11."

There may not be any definitive results of scientific studies just yet but there's definitely a problem, they are fully aware of the problem and are keeping a very close eye on it. I have personally known several people who got involved with Spice. The guy I mentioned was just one example. It's dangerous stuff, no doubt about it.
  12. bsthebenster

The government may be right. All I'm saying is that when a drug comes out without enough negative consequences to scare people, they'll just make some up. We've seen it happen with pot. They used to tell us it caused cancer, now we're finding out it can possibly even fight cancer.