An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Kava-Kava Root

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by LoveEcho, Jan 4, 2016.

1. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I've been on this forum for a while now. As I've spoken openly about on here quite a bit, I used to be addicted to well... pretty much anything that can get you high. But, my favorite was pain killers. I consider myself completely recovered for about 2 years now. But, it's still a daily struggle.

Recently, I've discovered Kava-Kava root. It's completely natural and can be found at health supplement stores and on Amazon. Obviously, I'm not trying trying to sell you guys anything and I'm not to link to anything. Now, it's not going to get you high... pretty much AT ALL. So, don't confuse this with some sort of legal high thing. It just relieves a little stress and has almost completely cut down my cravings. I highly doubt this will help at all with withdrawls or the severe cravings of a current addict. But, if you consider yourself recovered but find those dull cravings creeping up during stressful times, maybe do some Google searching and see if Kava-Kava could help you too.

But, remember you're not going to get high from it anymore than you'd get high from a cup of coffee.
  2. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I can attest to this as I have used the Kava-Kava root in the past. If I am remembering correctly, it's a powder that you mix with water and drink. It's a potent muscle relaxant and will make your mouth a bit numb when you drink it, but it has a similar effect to taking cough medicine or drinking alcohol (drowsiness and pain relief).

As with all medicines, I'd be careful and use it only when you need to. There is some speculation that it leads to baldness or liver damage and that may only be with repeated use, but I would still advise all of you who plan on taking it to read up on it first. Just to play devil's advocate, here is a link with some information.

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/kava-kava
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice to know that it was able to help you. I am not familiar with this and I do agree that one should be careful or at least cautious of what you are taking. It is important to know if this bad or good for certain health conditions that one already have aside from the addiction.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have heard of this before but don't know where from. I have never used it myself though. It sounds like it could be useful but seeing as it's a muscle relaxant then it probably won't be available in the UK any more (if it was) due to their recent introduction of new legislation which bans the sale of any substances that could be considered to be a legal high. I know you said it's not going to get you high, but the UK government are indeed cracking down on this sort of thing.
  5. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I've never tried Kava-kava but I've heard about it before. I think it's a good alternative to commercial pain killer drugs if it's all natural. I'd be very careful in taking it if I'm driving though because of the relaxant effects. It's still best to consult a doctor first before introducing it to your body just to be sure that it won't be damaging to you and it won't interact with any other medications you might be taking (if you're under some medication).
  6. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Kava is absolutely psychoactive. I'm still sitting on around a pound of kava root powder. While it's a fairly safe substance, it's definitely an intoxicant. It's extremely relaxing, it has a reverse tolerance, and, if you drink enough, you'll start stumbling around and losing your depth perception.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Never heard of it.
    ALWAYS do your research before you take anything.
    @Rob93FL says that it is psychoactive yet OP says no high. Yes sure you can't get "high" from a cup of coffee, but you can 100% have negative reactions to the drug in it caffeine, especially at higher doses.
    Remember people it does not matter one lick whether something is natural or artificial.
    A drug is a drug, does not matter if it's man or lab made. Natural does not mean safe, just as in artificial does not mean dangerous.
    Also don't forget the basic principal of toxicology which is "dose makes the poison."
    Many things (natural or not) are fine at completely benign at certain levels, and deadly at others.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It's funny you are not even describing what it does. I've used it before. It's great stuff. Some time in 2002 I had researched it completely. I realized that it would be something good to try. Well it said something like using it moderately. I don't know 20-32 drops. I say drops not whole droppers full. But once in a blue moon you could have 60-62 drops of it. It would put you in a state of euphoria.
    It certainly works well. I went from a bad mood to a blissful euphoria. I've used it since here and there moderately with a lighter effect. In order to feel anything from it you need to get the extra strength one. The regular is to light.
    Yes there is some slurring with this that is almost like alcohol. I've had the one that is made from the root in a bowl. Its all good and safe. Sorry don't believe the negative hype. I had a friend that would make it all the time. I've used it on an off for years. Psychoactive simply means it affects the mind. It's is a root and an herb. It has a very interesting history. Mostly from the western pacific and was only used by royalty. Some places there use it on a daily basis to relax. It was actually illegal for a short time here in the United States. Which says a lot about it. Guess big pharma didn't want something that will actually relax people.
    Personally I like it 500 times better than alcohol or any kind of drug. I've actually gotten serious compliments about my state at parties. People are very drawn to your presence when you are consuming it. You've got to have it on an empty stomach to enjoy it.