An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Keeping Busy . . .

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Boredom can drag someone back into addiction. Instead of staying home and thinking of the 'fun' you'd be having with friends if you were still doing drugs, you should find activities which will keep you busy and keep you from getting bored and possibly having a relapse. Simple things such as going to a library to do some more research on whatever topic interests you would be a free and easy way to keep your mind occupied.

Remember: "an idle mind is the devil's workshop."
  2. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with you Rainman unless you need the alone time for some me-time to commune with God or the nature or perhaps just to give yourself a break from life's buzz.

Whatever it is that interests you can get your mind off a possible relapse. And this is where the support of family and friends also comes in. I know of someone who calls up his trusted friends whenever he has the urge to go back to smoking. Then they prep him up by telling him how he had overcome it and the success he has with it so far. He doesn't even mind them telling him off at times because he feels he needs tough words to snap out of his wants.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

It's very important to keep yourself busy, especially when trying to break an addiction. Boredom has been known to lead to relapses. I always advise people to find a hobby.
  4. kima

kima Member

This is too true. I've known many people who tried drugs because they were bored, and ended up getting hooked onto it. In addition to this, a lot of them just get high together, and that's really the only thing they have in common with each other. This is just based on my own experience. I am not saying it applies to everyone who does drugs.
    My friend's brother is currently struggling with his addiction, and even though he hasn't recognized it as a real problem yet, I try to invite him out to so that he is not just sitting at home all the time. The family tries to make him stay inside, but I feel like that would make things worse because he tries to get his friends to go over to give him drugs. If going on hikes or biking with him means that he won't be using, then it is definitely worth the time. He makes good company and I'd like to keep him away from the drugs as best as I can.
  5. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Totally agree. I find that in this day and age of technology and easily accessible information, we're always looking for mental stimulation. A lot of us use the internet, but maybe that's not enough. People find life boring, so they use drugs to spice up their life at the expense of their well-being. Definitely keep a busy mind. Learn a new language, learn to code, learn how to build something. There are so many ways to not be bored.
  6. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I agree. There are a million heathy things you can learn to do in place of taking drugs.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yeah, boredom is probably one of the biggest motivators in getting started or getting back to the path of addiction. It really is best to find something that you love enough that you can work and focus on enough not to notice the time passing by, not only for personal enrichment but also to gain a better perspective in one's place in the world.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I can't agree more to that post.You should keep yourself preoccupied to avoid the temptation of going back to your dark past.Engage in meaningful activities like sports to keep yourself healthy and fit.You could also volunteer to help out in your local rehab center as your experiences could prove valuable.
  9. LifeM1

LifeM1 Member

I think having friends is extremely important to keeping one busy. Entertaining yourself can be difficult unless you're really into solitary activities like reading or playing video games. If you don't want to relapse from boredom, I can't strongly recommend social engagement enough. There is the issue of having friends that like to go out drinking, though. To that, I suggest finding other groups of friends you can drift to.
  10. Time management and scheduling are crucial to sober living. Make a checklist for your daily tasks to avoid the stress of "juggling" events and times in your head.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've talked to "high risk" teenagers in the past. They usually open up with their problems and one of the main things I suggested to them is to stay busy and keep your mind occupied on other things besides the problems at hand. The more one thinks about "it" the more likely it will call out to you or get depressed. So surround yourself with supportive people and keep yourself busy with other constructive projects.
  12. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Keeping busy is one thing. However, people should make sure they keep busy with something that is worth the time, such as exercise, watching movies with friends, or doing community service and attending church. These activities keep their mind diverted from addiction issues.
  13. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I also agree that staying busy is very useful when the urge to use is strong-such as highly stressful situations or when it had previously been force of habit (nightcap). I have been unemployed for a couple months nsow and so I was at high risk to abuse alcohol because of depression. For example, last night I was in a highly emotional state after fighting with my boyfriend. My first thought was to find some alcohol and drink it just to piss off my boyfriend...kind of like an act of defiance. Instead, I took a hot shower, changed into warm clothes and put some calming lotion on. I fell asleep after watching a movie and doing some breathing meditation. I think that the more tools you have to manage your urges, the better off you are. I also think that patience with yourself is key to changing your habits.
  14. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

It's extremely important to stay busy. I know that I would always feel like smoking or something along those lines whenever I have some free time. It was always a case of the busier I am, the less I would smoke. I think that staying busy would also help you forget about a multitude of things.
  15. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

You are certainly right one should try to avoid boredom as often as possible.
  16. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I don't know if I would use the word boredom, but certainly the lack of occupation can lead our mind to drugs thought and lead us to consuming, so keeping busy is a good thing!
  17. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

You really do need strategies to keep you r mind busy - especially during the first few months. Even something simple like posting on forums helps distract you and reminds you that you are not alone. I know people who swear by crafting but I think there is a danger I would get too disheartened should something not quite go to plan.
  18. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

True, it really doesn't matter what you do as long as you are busy and not consuming the goal is being achieved, one day at a time and building up on that. ;)
  19. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Forcing new habbits it's a good way to start. Do activities you enjoy and repeat them daily/weekly until they become a habbit. Keeping yourself busy doesn't necessarily mean you have to do activities 24/7. Sometimes it helps to just be with yourself and remember how far you got so far :)!
  20. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

This is true. When you get bored thoughts of addiction does come knocking on the door. Best way around that is to stay busy and not get tempted. Do something. Anything to keep your mind in idle mood.