An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Keeping yourself occupied with paprrcrafts and other arts!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Jenga, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Hey there guys! One of the things I felt when I first started to quit, was this empty void of free time. I realised I needed to find something to kill my boredom quickly, otherwise I'd end up going back to drinking.

I soon found out about papercrafts! They're so neat! Find something you'd like, print it out (I go to a nearby print store and print things on cardboard) and then get to work cutting away, folding and gluing until you make something! I've made some pretty cute decorations for my apartment, plus it helps with boredom!
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's actually a good idea to pass the time while you're doing nothing. They're inexpensive too! Knitting and cross-stitching also comes to mind, they're easy and inexpensive hobbies as well.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, I like this idea. Hobbies in general are beneficial in the recovery process, and the sorts that keep your hands busy and allow you to express your creative side can be really therapeutic. I used to do origami myself, so papercraft looks interesting to me.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Papercrafts are somewhat like origami, right? I used to be so big on them during high school and college. They can take up most of your time but are rather enjoyable. I hope rehab or treatment centers engage their members in papercrafts (maybe add it to their program) so that they can do something really enjoyable and forget about their anxiety.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Besides hobbies can unveil abilities that you never thought to have, making of the discovering a rewarding moment that compensates the hard withdrawal moments in the process to recovery.
  6. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I make handcrafted jewelry. It's a little extra cash when I sell pieces, they make great gifts and I get to wear stuff none of my friends have! It's not that hard, just tedious, which keeps my mind and hands from being idle while I am working on it.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Neat website! I think any sorts of crafts or hobbies like that which help us stay occupied are great. Boredom is a trap for me! So I try as hard as possible to stay busy and productive because then there's less temptation to fall back intol old habits and also I just feel so much better when I'm getting things done! I actually would like to teach myself how to sew well, so I can make cute clothes for my daughter. I see lots of patterns online so I think that would be fun!
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That is definitely a great idea. Good for you! It doesn't only put your mind off your past addictions, but it also unleashes your creative side. The hobby of doing arts and paper crafts could also lead into some sort of a business. Who knows, right?
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I never got into crafts in my adult life. I remember doing that back in grade school. But you know if it keeps you entertained and your mind off of addiction and boredom, then that's a good thing. Let you creative side be active again. It doesn't hurt.
  10. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Me neither, if there is an hobby I would like to have that would be playing the guitar. Is one thing I always wanted to learn, but for some reason never happened and now I simply don't have time.
  11. regicide3342

regicide3342 Member

One thing I can suggest that you do is to create a to-do list. I keep mine on my phone, and everytime I wake up in the morning, I open up the list and plan my day from there.
    I have an obsession to always add stuff and finish things listed in my to-do list.I really enjoy getting things done and I always want to do more, so a to-do list works well for me. Of course, you need to make sure the things you do are beneficial to you and to the people around you. A well done list of things you want to achieve every day will slingshot you towards a better future.
  12. Missfortune81

Missfortune81 Member

Yes! I think it so important to have a hobby. Idle hands and all that...haha. Recently, I have been getting into making my own lotions and soaps. It's fun, easy, and relatively inexpensive. I even opened my own Etsy shop, hoping to start my own business. It's something that excites me and motivates me and that is what we all need in life.
    SarahWorksAtHome likes this.
  13. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I have a friend who does that exact thing and it helped her in her recovery! We are actually going to do a festival together sharing a booth this weekend, me selling my jewelry and her selling her soaps, lotions and wax melts/candles! She makes them in incredibly yummy scents like a knock-off of VS's Love Spell, all kinds of fruity ones and even some other knock-offs of popular perfumes and colognes.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that it is a good idea to be occupied. Specially if you are really into arts like that cause you will most probably enjoy it. There are lots of arts or forms of arts that can be a hobby or even a business.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Learning an art or a new craft for a recovering addict, is a great way to keep yourself busy and prevent your mind from wondering back to drugs. It's always advisable to choose something which you won't ever get bored of. Or you should be flexible enough to try something else when your interest in one craft starts to flag.
  16. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Anything to keep us busy. But if we are changing our life we can as well be smart and pick something we love, in that way the motivation to continue with it will be higher.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

Idleness can make one increase their drug use. Addicts do need company of idle people to take time and share drugs with them. Or even friends will come for you when they know that you currently have nothing to do. The best way to avoid them is to find some work to do so that you are busy at most times. Find something that you love to do most and keep yourself busy.