An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Kicking pills...first real attempt...

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by fixingmyselfnow, Apr 15, 2019.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Proud of you for getting rid of your stash, @fixingmyselfnow. That's a big step. Trust me: Your life will be better without that crap.
    Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  2. Bev_Autow

Bev_Autow Member

I salute your owning it and that is always the first step. speaking for myself and the fact I am now 4 years clean of a 23 years straight heroine and crack cocaine addiction and the way I did it after a number of failed attempts over the years something with your time
    I'm 4 years clean from a 25 years heroineffreebase crack cocaine, and lots of valium, benzos . Opioids , sedative pills so if you ever need to chat when you get down then hit me up anytime , I'm not saying I will be any use but I'm told I'm pretty funny so I'll probably make you laugh if nothing else
  3. deanokat

Thanks for being here and inspiring others, @Bev_Autow. We appreciate you!
  4. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

Whoo hoo! I'm so happy for you! I'm also a little jealous. If I would of done that 10 years ago I would of saved so much heartbreak and money. But you are awesome!
  5. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

So glad you tossed!! Yay for you!! You are doing great... keep on this road and you'll no doubt experience life on a whole new, better level! :)

Have an amazing day!
    fixingmyselfnow and deanokat like this.
  6. deanokat

fixingmyselfnow and Bev_Autow like this.
  7. fixingmyselfnow

fixingmyselfnow Active Contributor

Friday and all is good...as can be...

This is one week plus one day.

Had a sudden and STRONG craving this am. Couldn't put finger on it. Pushed thru the day and it lessened.

I look at ppl having a good time and wonder if I'll have as good a time as I did on substance without it.

As many of you know, there's a resetting of mental stuff that's required. That hasn't happened yet... Trying to be patient.

Shared with my spouse... In very vague terms and she was surprisingly supportive... She's very militant on things normally. Want to lose weight? Just eat less... And she does...

So... Going well, but I can see this will take longer to get out from under that I thought.

Thanks for concern, all!

Cheers.

Happy Easter!
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  8. fixingmyselfnow

Thanks... You and everyone.

This had definitely helped. Having so many who don't know me but care about another human going thru similar circumstances has meant a lot to me.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Dominica

@fixingmyselfnow yes, we do care.... and i agree it is nice to know that others care... :) have a blessed weekend!
    deanokat and fixingmyselfnow like this.
  10. DoxyMom

@fixingmyselfnow way to go. You will find that cravings don't last long and getting your mind on something else usually helps. Exercise, doing a hobby like reading or a craft takes your mind off it and it passes. You can control it. It is good to figure out what triggered it so you can get to avoid it or stave it off with meditation or the other things I mentioned.
  11. fixingmyselfnow

Day 10.

Couple moments of craving but substantially weaker.

For a long while was genuinely happy just being with family...a welcome relief.

Nvr realized what I was doing to myself...I do now.

Don't want to go thru that again.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Dominica

@fixingmyselfnow hi there! so happy to read this! congrats on day 10! and it's great you were happy and content being with family. you're doing so great.... what a blessing!

keep it up...living your life the way you desire! and thanks for coming here and sharing with us!
  13. deanokat

You're doing it, @fixingmyselfnow! Big props to you on Day 10!!! Trust me: The longer you go, the easier it will get. It won't get easier all of a sudden, but slowly you will get to a point where those cravings will ease up. @DoxyMom's suggestions of doing stuff to get your mind off the cravings is a great one, too. Exercise can be especially helpful, because it gets the dopamine in your brain flowing.

Happy Monday! Have a great week and keep up the AWESOME work!
    Dominica and fixingmyselfnow like this.
  14. fixingmyselfnow

Day 11

Man! I was lethargic today!! I could not get moving and then thoughts of pills come to mind. Not that I have any but still...

Decided to go to gym . That helped....a lot.

I thinking that I'm just more susceptible to not getting enough sleep compared to when I could just pop a couple pills and instant calm and energy...

Anyway, just checking in...

Cheers!
    Dominica likes this.
  15. deanokat

Glad the glad the gym helped, @fixingmyselfnow. Maybe try some melatonin for sleep? Just a thought.

Thanks for checking in!
    fixingmyselfnow and Dominica like this.
  16. Dominica

@fixingmyselfnow yay for day 11! and, for getting out to go to the gym. good for you!

taking five to ten minutes to sit in silence...focus on my breathing...and intentionally focusing on calming my nervous system... helps me. sometimes a guided meditation too in the evening. just a thought. :)

have a great day!
    fixingmyselfnow likes this.
  17. deanokat

@fixingmyselfnow... Day 12 today? Hope you were able to get some good sleep last night.

Have a terrific Tuesday!
    Dominica and fixingmyselfnow like this.
  18. True concern

True concern Moderator

@fixingmyselfnow congratulations on your success and bravery in facing down your addiction and taking your life back,I apologize I haven't chimed in yet but I have been following your progress and I am extremely proud of you my friend. Usually I always jump in right away with advice and what not but I have accepted that I don't always say anything which could be helpful so I for once exercised patience and I am glad I did.Super proud of you and I believe you are on the right track and that truly does make me happy.Stay Strong My Friend And Keep Winning This Battle. STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
  19. fixingmyselfnow

Day 13.

Still hanging strong.

Cravings are significantly reduced. Couldn't feed it even if I wanted to...

Came clean to a good buddy I've known for a long time. He was very supportive. "You know, there was this one time you came over and I thought...**** I think he's stoned.."

So I wasnt as sneaky as I thought.

No going back now.

Sleep is getting better also.

Cheers,
  20. DoxyMom

@fixingmyselfnow keep it up. You are doing so good. You realized you had a problem and nipped it in the bud before it got worse that is awesome. It's funny how we aren't as smart as we think. I was so scared to tell my husband but he knew something was wrong. He ended up being supportive. Thanks for updating us.
    True concern, deanokat and Dominica like this.