An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Kicking pills...first real attempt...

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by fixingmyselfnow, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

26 days into it and your still focused on the original goal. Getting and staying sober. That's awesome. Its great lifting weights is a hobby for you as Its probably one of the best ways to keep away from that stuff. Natural high like you said.
    I've read where there is no such thing as a natural high. Not true, you won't experience opioid high anymore. But natural is much better anyway.
    And notice how (at least in my case) when you get on the treadmill or just put in your earbuds to listen to music it starts to sound better?
    When I was stoned I thought man pink Floyd has never sounded so good. But now when I listen to music I realize that not only does music sound a lot better sober, but a lot of my old favorite songs, like comfortably numb, are just depressing as fu#k!
    My whole taste in music has changed actually. I used to listen to a lot of metal, and angry stuff. Now I listen to a lot of female vocal trance and trance period.
    deanokat likes this.
  2. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@fixingmyselfnow I'm so happy for you and glad you keep checking in to let us know how you're doing. Almost a month! Way to go! I knew you could do it.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. True concern

True concern Moderator

i apologize for not chimming in here however i have been following this thread,the others were saying everything i would have been saying but i wanted to chim in and say i am very proud of you and i know you can keep going and turn 19 days into 19 weeks and then 19 months and so on.but i wont carry one to long simply wanted to let you know i am incredibly proud of you and i believe in you 100%
    deanokat and Joshstillclean like this.
  4. Ava joelle

Ava joelle Member

Hi. New to group. I stop and start. Having anxiety bout stopping again I take 40 mg a day. Can someone tell me how long it took them to feel better. The fatigue is what kills me. Thx
    Ava
    Onceaddicted77 and Dominica like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

It depends on what pill,also it varies from person to person as well as your health status,as in do you eat healthy or fast food a lot?There is no blanket rule.I am a recovering opiate addict and this last time took me about a week to get feeling less than average but not sick but I tapered down to 5 mg and then went to jail for a few days(long story) but that forced me to start my detox and when I was released I just stuck with it.My biggest issue is I can't sleep more than 3-4 hours now so here I sit combing the site.
    STAY STRONG YOU CAN AND WILL BEAT THIS.

WE BELIEVE IN YOU
    deanokat, Onceaddicted77 and Dominica like this.
  6. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Ava joelle hello and welcome. glad you are here. it def can vary.. but know that it won't be forever.
    True concern and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  7. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Ava joelle hello! If you can taper try that first. Tell us your story. Start your own thread. We all have different ways to get clean but coming here is a great first step.
  8. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Hi @Ava joelle come on in the water is nice. :rolleyes: let us try to help you.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  9. Ava joelle

Ava joelle Member

Thx so much. I will keep in touch
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  10. Ava joelle

Ava joelle Member

Thank you so much.
    True concern likes this.
  11. liliann

liliann Senior Contributor

Hi Ava,
    Just wanted to also weigh in. I don't really know what you are tapering down from but I am assuming it is oxy.
    You can really be completely honest here. We are all addicts/alcoholics going on the same path to wanting to to being clean & sober.
    It is very safe and has saved my life because I have a safe place (here) to go where I am not judged or risk being judged or if I am just plain scared to tell anyone what I've been doing.
    I have been through this numerous times and wish I had stuck to it the first time as you have the opportunity to do.
    Because you know what? It never ever gets easier the next time you try to quit. It only gets harder. And that is if you get the chance to quit.
    So I'm not sure if you are in the process or tried and went back on them or what but I can tell you that it took me with oxy 2 weeks before I felt a tiny bit better and then months to get back to myself. But that is me...I was doing a lot and mixing it with other drugs and it was daily all day and night and I'm older than you I am sure. Many factors but if you can get through the first week the second one is a bit easier etc.
    I wouldn't do it or at least I couldn't do it on my own. I had to get help and go to a detox. But if you can taper that would be ideal. I couldn't because I couldn't just take one or two or whatever the taper called for.
    There is something called PAWS which is post acute withdrawal symptoms which means that you will feel withdrawal symptoms that are more manageable after you withdraw.
    So if you feel like sharing more specifically I think you'd get more help but in the meantime we are here for you no matter what.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the community, @Ava joelle. I think you've gotten some good insight and advice so far. By all means, feel free to start your own thread in this section (Share Your Story Here). We are loving, caring humans and are here to help, support, and encourage you.

Sending you love, light, and hope. You are not alone!
    True concern likes this.