An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Kids and smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by anorexorcist, Jul 30, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

A lot of smokers started at a really young age, and I've known few people who started when they were about 10 years old, and this happens for a lot of reasons: social pressure, rebellion, curiosity or just because they saw their parents or relatives smoking.

What do you think about this? There is a way to change this situation?
  2. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I started smoking when I was 12, I have no clue why. Most people in my family smoke and so do my friends. It makes me wonder why I started smoking. Maybe I wanted to be like them? Maybe I thought it was cool? I have no clue
  3. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I knew and I still know some kids that smoke at very young age (10 - 11 yo), and when I ask them why they do that ? I understand from their answers that they think that cigarettes are something that makes them looks bigger, that's really sad ! and for the solution it's so easy, in laws selling cigarettes is forbidden for anyone younger than 18 yo, so if any seller doesn't sell any cigarettes for young kids, this disgusting problem will just disappear !
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't think this trend will change anytime soon. Teenagers start smoking because they feel rebellious doing so, and all their friends support them even when they know this is a really bad habit. Little do they know, they're now addicted to one of the worst things you can be addicted to.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I found my first pack of cigarettes when I was 8, I smoked one daily. Got sick and tired of it so I dropped it fast. Glad I did,, to this day I can't understand the fascination of some people with the toxic cocktail... it's pure poison.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

My first cigarette was inthe school restroom when I was 13. Looking back, I think I only did it because it was "naughty". Trying that cigarette is one of my biggest regrets in life. Thankfully, I've managed to quit now.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Maybe it sounds like you wanted to fit in with the rest of your family and friends. Did they ever pressure you?
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have heard that people have started as early as seven years old. It's ridiculous how kids can get their hands on substances like that.
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I mean, there's not much more we can do. It's a slight inconvenience to get and they know the dangers. The next step is making it illegal, but they'll just buy illegal smokes. Hell, it's legal here in ontario yet one fifth of smokers smoke illegal smokes cause it's cheaper. There's not a lot else to do.
  10. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think I first tried smoking when I was about 10. But I played sports throughout school, even in lower grades other than high school. I did not become a full blown, daily smoker until I was done with high school. I had my reasons for not smoking regularly prior to being done with school. I think though I was addicted right from the first puff when I was 10.
  11. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

That's exactly my situation, the first time I tried to smoke is when I was 9 years old, then I didn't smoke at all until I finished my highschool + 3 years in college, I been really depressed and that what pushed me to start smoking, now I'm trying to stop and get my sport life back, and I wish that I can do that easily ....
  12. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Its going to be tough, but if the government hike taxes on cigarettes and make it more expensive to smoke then these kids wont be able to afford it.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

Yes we can change the situation by advocating for a drug free society. We must always talk about the effects of drugs to young ones so that they may get to know them early. We should also involve our friends in the fight against drugs. We must be open when talking to family members who are addicts. That's when we can win the fight against drugs.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I could also see some kids and teenagers smoking which most probably they think is just an okay thing to do. Most probably their parents or people around them are smokers and so, they see smoking as just a normal thing and not something that is dangerous for them.
  15. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

I believe that the mindset of a younger child, has a higher chance to get addicted to tobacco than that of an older one. If a 12 year old boy is given a cigarette by his brother, and he watches all of his brothers friends smoke, is he going to sit there and not smoke the tobacco? He will smoke it, because he looks up to his brother, and wants to be "cool" like his brother friends. and now, every time his brothers friends come around, the 12 year old boy decides to smoke so he can be accepted by the older boys. so I believe the younger you start smoking the more addicted you become.
  16. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

There were some kids who smoked in my middle school, and like others have said, they did it to be "cool". They thought it made them look older, they thought it would make older boys attracted to them (these were all girls, for some reason.) And of course there's the usual "we're just doing it because we're not supposed to" reason.
  17. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I think it's all about rebellion and bad education. I remember when I was like 15 how much I was turned against smoking. I never really smoked a cigarette until I reached 17 where it all started, all because I let myself be influenced by some friends among with my cousins.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Well for starters, parents need to raise their kids and teach them right from wrong. It is their responsibility to teach their children right from wrong. It is not societies job to do so. That is the first line of defense when it comes to children that do smoke as early as 10 years old.
  19. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I agree, it's the education that the parents give to the child that is the first line of defense, because parents can have a really strong influence on their kids, but there is also the power of example, if a parent smokes and tells his kid to not smoke ever, how does that kid understand that? He simply can't.
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

I started when I was 14. My dad was a smoker, and I'd wait till he tossed his cigarette butts so I could hunt them down and smoke what was left. That's how I started. TV had a lot to do with it also. There's a lot of smoking in movies.