An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Kratom Tea and kava

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kgord, Sep 11, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Dr. Phil just did a story about a woman addicted to both. I thought that kratom was fairly safe. I know kava was being touted as a sleep remedy in the 90's. I didn't realize that bars were available where both could be purchased. I had just heard that kratom was being promted as a safer alternative to meth. What do you guys know about this?
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

All I know is that kava can be dangerous to the liver if too much is ingested. It sounds very dangerous to be using it like that. I didn't know that it could be addictive though.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am actually not familiar to both the kratom tea and kava. Never thought that a tea can be a substitute for meth. It is important for the users of those to know if whether it will really be helpful or not.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

kava kava? That thing is awful, specially if you take it in supplement form, because you don't even know if it was the stems or the leaves the ones they used to make it. It can seriously send someone to the hospital with total liver failure, I'd not risk it at all. That thing shouldn't be sold to anyone. Any kind of supplement with traces of it should be banned. I'm amazed to hear they still sell it in the US.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I only knew of kava when I went to Vanuatu for a vacation. It's still consumed there as a cultural/tribal type thing. I never tried it but a tour guide told us about it.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I knew it was something that was potentially dangerous. I think I took it a few times, many years ago to help me sleep, but I quit taking it when I heard of the dangers in taking it. I think kratom should probably be only under medical supervision, and I really haven't seen kava around for many years, but I am certain you can probably still get it if you want to. So, this is something that probably shouldn't be used as a "safe" alternative to Molly or other club drugs.
  7. juulicob

juulicob Member

My sister used to go to a local kava bar about 10 years ago. I remember she would come home feeling very relaxed and happy, almost stoned. My father was very suspicious because my sister would be acting this way, yet there were no physical symptoms (eyes, breath, etc). She brought me there one time and I took a sip of this kava. It's nasty - they chase it with a Starburst usually. It's also sold in powder forms for you to brew yourself I think. It was something I never got into, although there were about 4 local kava bars in my area. It's not illegal apparently, but there have been a lot of cases and danger involved. Definitely could mess with your liver.
  8. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

I am not very familiar with kava but I am very familiar with kratom as I have used it quite often myself for pain relief. It acts on the same receptors as any opiates do so you have to be very careful with this natural leafy herb because although you can buy it online or at any head shop it is very addictive just as an opiate is so you must use it with great care and caution. It also has many of the same side effects as taking an opiate such as norco or vicodin. Kratom however comes in many different strains so you can get some that have a more relaxing effect on you while other strains give you more energy. But like I stated in the beginning, you must be really careful when taking it.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have heard of kratom before and it does have side affects. As far as kratom being a safer alternative to meth I think it would be compared to meths side effects. When I read about people smoking kratom I heard it could be very addictive. I wouldn't doubt that kratom could like a drug. I thought of drinking kratom tea before I did research on it.
  10. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

I think no drug is safe. Once a substance has addictive capabilities, it should not have unrestricted circulation.
    L_B likes this.
  11. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Thanks for the information. I did not even know that it was sold in supplement form. So I guess it does have some good use, but must be utilized in moderation?
  12. Tremmie

Not even in moderation, kava kava has been linked to liver damage even in normal doses for a short term use. I'd not recommend it, it is said to help with anxiety and to sleep, but I'd not recommend it. Several people have needed a liver transplant even after a short use, some have even died. Kava kava is banned in Canada, Germany and Switzerland.
  13. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

wow that is really scary stuff. I had never heard about that. It's so true that even natural things we can buy over the counter can be extremely dangerous and like was posted in the last post a good rule of thumb is to see if it is banned in another country. Kratom is also illegal in other countries as well. I think the most we stay away from unless it is to keep us alive, the better off we all will be.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

wow, I didn't know that either. I think I did take kava for a short period of time in the 90's in capsule form, but I quit when I heard it had some bad side effects. Probably many people don't know how dangerous it is or can be. It should come with a warning label. I mean knowingly taking something that is dangerous, may not stop some, look at cigarettes for instance, but it should help.
  15. Tremmie

I think if people knew that after a few weeks taking kava kava they could die or need a new liver transplant, most wouldn't take it ;) I want to believe that. Because smokers see things like cancer or any other side effect of smoking as something in the distance, i think that is why fear doesn't work with them My fiance is a smoker, and he thinks he will never get sick, he has been smoking for 11 years but he sees the threat far in the distance.
  16. Tremmie

kratom and kava kava are not the same herb. I really don't know about kratom, but I know about kava kava. I'm surprised they still sell that stuff in most countries, even the US D: