An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Kratom: What Is It and How Does It Affect You?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by deanokat, Jun 29, 2018.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

There's been a lot of talk in the addiction/recovery community lately about kratom, which comes from a tropical tree that's native to Southeast Asia. When it's smoked, chewed, or consumed via things like tea, kratom can have effects that are similar to opioids or stimulants. A lot of people say that kratom helps with opioid withdrawals. Others say it helps them with pain relief. But the effectiveness and safety of this drug is a source of a lot of debate. In fact, many kratom users report that they became highly addicted to it.

Kratom is, at least for now, legal in the United States and can be purchased online and in places like gas stations, tobacco stores, and head shops. The problem with this is that people oftentimes think that because it's readily available, it must be safe. But that's not necessarily the case (remember when synthetic marijuana could be bought at just about any gas station?).

The link below is to a blog post all about kratom. Whether you're already familiar with this new drug or not, check out the post. Then let us know your thoughts about kratom. Have you ever used it? Is it something you would consider using to help you overcome an opioid addiction? Do you think it should be legal? We want to know what you think.

Here's the link to the blog post:

What's the Deal with Kratom?

We're looking forward to hearing what you think.
    True concern and lonewolves like this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So i will not touch it,i have had to many problems already with substance's and i do believe in due time this stuff will have it's own spot on forum's such as this one.I also read on same blog that FENTANYL is now being used to cut cocaine.Buckle up people the fentanyl epidemic is gaining speed in the goal of destroying us all...even the "Recreational" drug user as Cocaine will no longer be a party drug now with fentanyl,cocaine is about to become a PHYSICAL addiction similar to heroin.This is how you destroy not just communities but Continents.This world we live in is under siege from chemical such as FENTANYL and i fear the worse is yet to come.I pray im wrong but all signs point to i am correct
    deanokat, lonewolves and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Totally stay away from it!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  4. deanokat

5. True concern

I have to say I've done some more research on Kratom and my opinion is no longer completely Anti kratom for a few reasons but I will list the most shocking one here.The F.D.A.approves Carfentanyl as safe which is absolute bullshit but Like marijuana 50+year's ago the government looks to label this "Plant"as deadlier than Heroin which the federal government has done to marijuana already,and I think we can all agree marijuana is not deadlier than heroin which is now cut with F.D.A.approved safe Fentanyl. So basically more studies need to be done,by independent companies because the government is more than willing to Lie if it makes money and creates fear.Im not saying its safe but I've read countless stories of life long heroin addicts who all of a sudden have normal stable lives which they credit to kratom."Money is the root of all evil"Look no further than the F.D.A for proof to that claim
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  6. True concern

However just to be clear the best way to get your life back is to stop taking substance's PERIOD.There is truly no point in putting any substance in your body unless you are chasing agony and I strongly recommend you don't chase agony because if you look for it you will find it.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  7. Dominica

@True concern thanks for the update on your research. i've not researched it yet... but i do agree that much more needs to be done..and i don't trust the gov't to "protect" the people...for sure. anyway, hope you have a good day!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. deanokat

Good info, @True concern. And yes, no substances at all is definitely the best way to go! :cool:
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  9. RecoveringLife1

RecoveringLife1 Senior Contributor

I have taken Kratom plenty of times and I may have recommended taking it to wean off of very potent drugs on here once. Maybe it's my high tolerance, but I have never had any serious side effects except for the occasional headache from taking a little bit too much. There's a big misconception with prescription drugs being a lot more safe than natural herbs and supplements. Now I'm not going to sit here and tell you there isn't any poisonous plants in the world. However, research is key in making sure what herbs is right for you. There was a time in ancient times where our ancestors took natural medication as modern day science and medicine was not available. It's a money scheme from pharmaceutical companies to say that prescribed pills are better when they've used natural ingredients in order to make this stuff!!! Whenever I get the chance, I will grow my own fruits and vegetables, exercise whenever I'm not having any joint pain and take natural herbs and supplements or whatever modern day injections I need to correct my chemical imbalance. Not all prescribed medication is bad and not all herbs are bad. Just be careful with the source
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.
  10. Dominica

Doing the research is wise.... and I do believe some herbs are helpful. I've not done the research on Kratom...and I've heard varying stories... so as with anything, get the facts and be careful. :)

You sound very balanced...good for you!
    RecoveringLife1 and True concern like this.
  11. deanokat

RecoveringLife1 and True concern like this.