New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Kratom: What Is It and How Does It Affect You?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by deanokat, Jun 29, 2018.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

There's been a lot of talk in the addiction/recovery community lately about kratom, which comes from a tropical tree that's native to Southeast Asia. When it's smoked, chewed, or consumed via things like tea, kratom can have effects that are similar to opioids or stimulants. A lot of people say that kratom helps with opioid withdrawals. Others say it helps them with pain relief. But the effectiveness and safety of this drug is a source of a lot of debate. In fact, many kratom users report that they became highly addicted to it.

Kratom is, at least for now, legal in the United States and can be purchased online and in places like gas stations, tobacco stores, and head shops. The problem with this is that people oftentimes think that because it's readily available, it must be safe. But that's not necessarily the case (remember when synthetic marijuana could be bought at just about any gas station?).

The link below is to a blog post all about kratom. Whether you're already familiar with this new drug or not, check out the post. Then let us know your thoughts about kratom. Have you ever used it? Is it something you would consider using to help you overcome an opioid addiction? Do you think it should be legal? We want to know what you think.

Here's the link to the blog post:

What's the Deal with Kratom?

We're looking forward to hearing what you think.
    True concern and lonewolves like this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So i will not touch it,i have had to many problems already with substance's and i do believe in due time this stuff will have it's own spot on forum's such as this one.I also read on same blog that FENTANYL is now being used to cut cocaine.Buckle up people the fentanyl epidemic is gaining speed in the goal of destroying us all...even the "Recreational" drug user as Cocaine will no longer be a party drug now with fentanyl,cocaine is about to become a PHYSICAL addiction similar to heroin.This is how you destroy not just communities but Continents.This world we live in is under siege from chemical such as FENTANYL and i fear the worse is yet to come.I pray im wrong but all signs point to i am correct
    deanokat, lonewolves and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Totally stay away from it!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener