An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lamar Odom

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kgord, Oct 17, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Of course looking to how drugs and alcohol can ravage someone's life need to look no further than the headlines and the case of Lamar Odom. What a pity that someone would waste that kind of money, on dope, and "hookers." That kind of excess is suicidal, and very nearly was fatal. He may never be the same.
  2. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

This story is so sad. I've watched "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and I felt while watching the show that Lamar Odom really did want to kick the habit. I think his wealth and access to money only helped to feed his addiction. It's good to see his wife and her family and friends supporting and being there for him in his time of need. I'm hoping he makes a speedy recovery and finally gets the help he needs.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I was not aware of Odom's lifestyle behind the limelight, but since he is now conscious and out of coma already, then I hope he changes for the better and he would not resort to his old, destructive ways.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is a sad story and he is lucky to come out of this one. I hope that he has learned his lesson and that now that he is doing better that he gets the help he needs to get his life clean. His entire life has been tragic since a very young age.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

This is a very sad story. I used to watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians when he and Khloe were married and it always seemed that he was distant from the family. I knew that marriage would not last. Hopefully he cleans up his ways. Wealth can be destructive to people if they use it for the wrong reasons.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It's a sad story for anybody who goes through these situations, and I think while his celebrity lifestyle and wealth made it easier for him to end up like he has, people if every lifestyle are going through the same things on a daily basis.
  7. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

I'm so surprised but happy as well that he's slightly 'okay' after having "almost every drug in his system" and being in a coma. It just goes to show fame and wealth doesn't provide happiness... I pray he fights his demons and is able to stay clean after this!
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Honestly, I didn't know about this issue. It really does look that he has already went through a lot of substance abuse. It's truly a pity. But I am glad to hear that he is doing well now. I hope this event in his life somehow taught him a lesson.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I hope this was the wake up call he needed and he'll get on the right track. Because this seems like his rock bottom. Now he needs to climb his way up and get rid of that life and do better for himself.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It just goes to show even more that money and success in the professional realm don't leave you immune to drug use - in fact part of me thinks it can even exacerbate it. Being able to have free reign to access whatever drug you want, when you want it is a dangerous place for an addict.
  11. mmegs00

mmegs00 Member

I feel quite sorry for him. It is a very sad situation when you think about it. Here is a man
    struggling with challenges in his life, but at one of the hardest times in his life his situation
    is plastered across news outlets alike. It must be very difficult for his friends and family during this
    time as they try to remain a strong support system for him. As well, the negative commentary regarding
    his life is never acceptable. I wish him the best in his recovery.
  12. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Oh dumb... That was my initial thought towards Odom. At the same time though, I do wish him a speedy recovery and that his life will return to normal. He has now seen first hand the damage that drug addiction can bring to a person's life and my only hope is that he will move forward with this new experience and knowledge.
  13. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Yeah for sure this is his rock bottom. With such public humiliation I hope that he will now publicly redeem himself. Start teaching against drug addiction. Traveling and making presentations. Who knows?
  14. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I hope he recovers as well as all the other addicts out there. He is a celebrity which puts the spotlight on him. Money is easy and so he turns to drugs. He might have deeper issues we don't know of, because most addicts have some deeper problem than just the addiction itself. I hope that he betters himself after this and try to live a life free of drugs.
  15. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

I absolutely agree. Excessive behaviors like that often transform into suicidal behaviors. I do not think it is okay to justify abusing drugs just because it is the norm and everyone is doing it. I think it explains why we have so many problems. Yet, it is not a justification. What do you guys think?
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Exactly that young man had evertying that most people want.
    Except what we want (money, sex, power ect ect) is not what we NEED.
    What we NEED is family, God and community.
  17. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

As for anyone who struggles with drugs, I hope that he gets better and get the help he needs. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him and he does something different and take care of himself. I am glad that he is doing better than what they were saying at first.
  18. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I've heard rumors now that his kidneys are not doing well and he's probably going to need a kidney transplant. I'd say that is a pretty harsh wake up call for him. Hopefully he will get some help once he's in better physical health and stay away from the addictive substances.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, well he knew he had a problem before and so did everyone around him. He should have spent all the money he spent on drugs and hookers on therapy I guess, or treatment for Substance Abuse. I imagine he is not very happy in the condition he is in.
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Yeah this was really unfortunate to hear about. I never knew he was into drugs and hookers. I guess he can recover and get his life back together. I'm glad he didn't die. This was a big surprise for everybody.