An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Laughing, and by laughing I mean the I can't breathe kind

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by jackslivi, Oct 27, 2014.

1. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Hey everybody!

You know when you are laughing so hard that your stomach starts hurting? That laughing that gets you to the point of tears and makes you want to literally die from laughing so hard?

Do you guys think that if you surrounded yourself with that kind of happiness every day that it would help?

Think about it. Laughter is good for the soul! Even smiling in the mirror and telling yourself that you are going to have a great day can completely change your feeling that day. If everyone just smiled more at other people, could you imagine what this world would be like?

I think that helping our friends laugh when they are going through a difficult time helps them to get through it.

Find your something that makes you laugh super hard whether it be Dane Cook or a funny cartoon. Either way, it is just one more step in the right direction.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  2. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Definitely! A cheerful disposition is often handy in tough times, and since recovery is a tough time, it's nice to be able to deal with it through humor. Plus I know that for a lot of people, they tend to turn to substances when they're sad, so laughter can help in that matter. It shouldn't be the only way to cope, but it definitely helps a lot. :)
    jackslivi likes this.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Laughter can certainly help us forget abut our worries and it even helps relax us. Although like you said it's just one step in the right direction as it still sometimes isn't enough to get us past our troubles. I think sincere communication still works best with or without the laughter. Even Robin Williams who I assume was surrounded by the funniest people around ultimately didn't find it to be working anymore at some point, and I could only assume it was partly or mostly because he did not feel people connecting with him on a deep enough level despite the surface hilarity and entertainment.
    jackslivi likes this.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I agree with you 100%. I wish I had that kind of laughter everyday to start the day. Whenever I had a hard day and I start to stress it would be cool to press a button and start laughing to make my day brighter. Everyone can use this.
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Laughter is a great way for a quick uplifter. If you get sad or depressed a good comedy or stand up is in order to get you in the right attitude and direction.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I really believe that laughter is the best medicine of all. A positive outlook and a cheerful attitude would make you healthier.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I miss that. I rarely encounter something that would make me laugh so hard that I would be on the verge of soiling my underwear. I used to enjoy things much more when I was younger. I think growing up really made me a more callous person incapable of fully appreciating good humor. I wish I didn't have to grow up.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

A good old belly laugh is always good for your health! I must admit that my sense of humor is akin to that of an 11 year old boy so I do find plenty of things in life to laugh about. I've been through the mill a bit and whilst I might have lost my mind on more than one occasion, I've always mamaged to hold on to my sense of humor.
  9. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Laughing is indeed medicine for the soul, and it can be its own kind of positive addiction. If I did not have humor in the hard times of my recovery I don't think I could have made it! Even now 4 years out, I turn to laughter for inspiration and comfort.

But to laugh like this every day??

jackslivi said "You know when you are laughing so hard that your stomach starts hurting? That laughing that gets you to the point of tears and makes you want to literally die from laughing so hard?"

Can You imagine the amount of money you would have to spend on wrinkle cream for your laugh lines!!!! LOL! :p
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I always try to find something to laugh about, even in the toughest times. It really is good for the soul. It would be wonderful to find something to laugh about for five minutes straight every day, I’d love that. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s long overdue for it.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes it is a good thing. It will get anyone through a lot if you can find a way. I worked with this guy on a project. We were doing some computer work. Editing and simple tasks. He would put comedy on while we were working. Like stand up comedians. We would be sitting there while we were working just laughing hysterically. It was great. I got into doing this at home once and awhile. It's good to do stuff like this.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think laughter is good for the soul. I think that for me, when I am laughing to the point that I can't breathe it's usually because I am surrounded by people I love, that get my sense of humor and that I am relaxed and comfortable around. And to me, that's a wonderful thing! When you feel safe and at ease and like you can be yourself I think it just really helps your overall mood and state of mind.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Man I would sooo love to experience that kind of laughter, it's been a while since I have laughed really hard. I only experience that kind of laughter when watching comedy movies or talking to my friends, so I hope to replicate that emotion whenever possible.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016