An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Laws against smoking during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by SLTE, Sep 19, 2015.

1. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I don't think that a law would be useful from an enforcement perspective. That doesn't mean it is a bad idea. It would still send a message. The sales of tobacco to pregnant women could be restricted but that would be murky waters when it comes to discrimination etc...
  2. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think this is along the same lines that a person makes a choice to smoke and that those around the smoker make the decision not to smoke and should be free to breath. The unborn should certainly be free to breath. I do not think that the unborn have a choice in the matter and the mother should love the unborn like she would not smoke in the vehicle or her home, why would she smoke while she is pregnant.
  3. I don't necessarily think that that it should be against the law, but I do think that there should be a lot of support and encouragement to quit. Most importantly, more mothers-to-be should be educated on the dangers of smoking while pregnant. I had been smoking for about 5 months when I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant. Because I was stuck on a whole pack a day, it took me about a week to quit. It was extremely hard for me to quit, because I had gotten used to waking up and having a morning cigarette, and if anything stressed me out, that would be my stress reliever. Well, what's more stressful than finding out you're pregnant and definitely not ready, financially or emotionally, to have a baby? I really just wanted to lay in bed and smoke all day. But, I forced myself to quit for my baby. I haven't touched a cigarette since. I had a lot of support to stop smoking, and I think that really helped. My now husband smoked and still does, but he was my main supporter to quit. He wouldn't smoke around me, would make sure to brush his teeth and wear a jacket, and go outside to smoke.
    I think having the right support and guidance is the best way to stop smoking during pregnancy. Not threatening them with a fine or possible jail time.
  4. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

There should be a law against children having children, but there isn't. If a woman wants to smoke, drink or do drugs while pregnant trust me you'll never stop her. Of course a woman should be concerned about her unborn child, but sad fact is most mothers aren't fit to be pet owners. This isn't for real woman this is for the little girls that have sex and have babies they don't have a clue, and frankly they don't won't one. I'm sorry for the rant if I offended anyone forgive me. I am sick of kids having kids it's a big mess these girls smoke, drink, and more I'm sure. I have seen it first hand it makes me sick they don't care if they are pregnant.:(
  5. I agree that it would be very difficult to enforce a law like this. There would have to be a part of the law that gives a limit of time because someone could be in early stages of pregnancy and not know it. But I believe that it would be beneficial to everyone.
  6. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Making it illegal for pregnant women to smoke is a good idea in theory. Executing that law would be tough, because the only way to tell if someone was doing it would be seeing them out in public doing so, plus many people'pregnancies do not 'show' until after 20 weeks, which is at the halfway point of an average pregnancy. That being said, perhaps there could be a ban on pregnant women purchasing cigarettes? Although, they would likely be able to get them from someone else.

Many OBGYN offices drug screen their patients on a regular basis, and will report drug use during pregnancy to the authorities, as drug use in pregnancy is considered abuse. Perhaps they could test for tobacco use as well?
  7. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I think it should be illegal.
  8. rikka

rikka Member

This is a bit difficult, I think. Creating laws to ban smoking in pregnant women is great, but implementation is another story.

Whether there's a rule to this or not, whether the legislative body will debate on this or not, the medical community has stated time and again that smoking in pregnancy has various negative effects on the baby. The attending physician of the pregnant woman should stress the importance of quitting smoking. If the woman has a hard time quitting, the doctor should offer options to make quitting feasible.
  9. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

While making laws against drinking and smoking for pregnant women would be the ideal and a great solution, it poses the problem that these prohibitions would go against women's civil rights. Even if most women don't smoke during pregnancy it would result in protests, and a social media outcry because women would state that once again the government is telling women what to do with their bodies, or is trying to control their bodies.

I for one dealt with this problem myself. The only time that I've been able to quit smoking was when I found out I was pregnant. I quit cigarettes the same day I found out, and don't get me wrong I was tempted to pick up a cigarette and smoke it in hiding, but my conscience would not allow it. If God forbid, my daughter was going to be born with any health or birth defects it wasn't going to be my hand. It was very, very hard, but I pulled through. During the lactating period I didn't smoke either. I started smoking a year after I gave birth and deeply regret it, because I haven't been able to quit again. I've actually joked around with the fact that I should get pregnant again, just so I can finally quit. LOL!

All jokes aside though, as others suggested, it would be great if the government implemented programs at little or nor cost where pregnant women can be helped with their addiction. It would make the pregnancy for them so much easier.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

A women shouldn't smoke when pregnant at all. Every thing that goes into the woman's body goes into the child's body at that point. The fact that the child doesn't have the ability to choose whether or not he or her has nicotine in there blood stream should be something to consider. I think there should be a law against it, but how will it be enforced? How can you keep a eye on a pregnant woman 24 hours a day. I think that women have to choose to be responsible with there body and there child's health during pregnancy.
  11. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

There could be law against pregnant women smoking, but where would that law take action? On the street? In the restaurant? What about at home? If people want to be irresponsible and smoke while carrying a child, they would find their ways. They would hide away. I think spreading awareness of the consequences smoking can cause to the child, will more likely make some change. Yet,when I think about it, maybe it would not because there are so many organisations trying to spread awareness of this, and it seems some people just do not get it.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well people are people and fortunately most people who know they are pregnant are not knowingly smoke during their pregnancy. It just isn't fair to do to your child. Worse than smoking though is drinking alcohol to excess. It can cause fetal alcohol syndrome...and those kids have a number of physical and mental issues.
  13. myia714

myia714 Member

I agree with giving pregnant women tools rather than banning the use of cigarettes. I agree it is wrong for women to smoke while pregnant, but only they can choose what to do. I am sure many women don't actually want to smoke while they're pregnant. But women who have been smoking for sometime need help to help them quit.
  14. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I don't think it really makes sense to make a law against it. Smoking can have serious effects on the unborn child and I am pretty sure the doctor tells this to the mother. So it really is up to her if she wants to go ahead and do it just the same.
  15. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I agree, I think it is so much more important to support pregnant women and help them quit than to pass new laws against smoking while pregnant. This just sounds like another law almost impossible to enforce. And what would be the long term plan here? To take the kids away from any parent who smokes? I just don't think this is realistic.
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I would think that being pregnant would enough incentive to quit at least temporarily...I used to smoke some too,,,but immediately quit when I found I was pregnant. I just personally find smoking during pregnancy fairly unconscionable. I mean it isn't like this 40 years ago and people don't know any better. People need to take responsbility for their actions. I would make smoking during pregnancy a fineable offense at least...maybe the embarrassment would be enough to make people stop and think...Sorry to sound judgmental here..and some are probably quite addicted, but quit before you become pregnant..smoking during pregnancy I don't feel should be excused.
  17. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

But even if there was such a law, who would apply it? I can already see cops knocking at the doors:

"Excuse me, ma'am, are you pregnant?"
    "No, I am just chubby"
    "It seems that you are pregnant. why are you smoking? don't you know it's a felony?*
    *uses taser*

Jokes aside, other than the laws of common sense, there aren't any laws and there won't be any. Women have autonomy of their body, they can do whatever they want, sadly or fortunately, depending of the case..
  18. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Quite of an utopia if you ask me, but hey, nothing's impossible, like they say!

Still, as much as I'd like to see such a law implemented given that I daily see a considerable amount of women smoking while pregnant, it would be quite hard and counterproductive to implement such a reglementation. The best governments could do is to raise awareness is all.
  19. tyannaaa_

tyannaaa_ Member

I actually do think there should be a law against pregnant woman smoking because smoking can cause very dangerous things to happen to the mother and more importantly the child. The child can end up with sicknesses or other issues. Some mothers don't really care so I do think a law should be made.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I do think that there should be a law like that, because there are so many irresponsible women who smoke despite they are pregnant and that is the most terrible thing that someone can do to an unborn baby, specially if it's your own baby :( It's terrible. A lot women just can't seem to be able to stop this vice... maybe a law like this and the possibility of being punished if caught in the act would prevent any further cases.