An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Laws against smoking during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by SLTE, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Smoking has been proven to cause birth defects so I absolutely believe that it should be illegal. As others have said, though, it would be very difficult to police this law. The very act of having such a law in place would raise awareness to the ill effects of smoking so I believe that it would do more good than negative. Just consider how banning smoking from bars has raised awareness of the harmful effects of second hand smoke. I think it would act in the same way.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think there should be a law against smoking while pregnant so that babies will be protected from the irresponsible acts of their smoking mothers. The erring mom should be monitored too for the sake of her baby once caught, if ever a law were to exist.
  3. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Well, that is a difficult matter to be honest. I don't think it should be illegal for pregnant women to smoke, that would be a a bit too much in my opinion, but they should take that decision on their own free will.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

The policing aspect like you said is hard...to the point that it would be virtually impossible. I don't agree with people smoking during pregnancy - I think it's the duty of a parent to look after the health and wellbeing of their child as much as they can, and to me that starts from the very beginning. I just don't know how it would be monitored, especially since many places still allow things such as smoking with children in vehicles and so forth - so I don't know how they would extend a law to protecting foetuses when they don't necessarily have laws protecting children who are born.
  5. In my opinion my mother smoked all through her pregnancies including when she had me and all 7 of us came out fine yeah it should be a law but that's my opinion no mum to be should be made to stop smoking if they don't want to or anything..

I smoke myself and I'm pregnant early stage only couple of weeks and yeah I'm trying my hardest to stop for myself not when everyone else tells me most people need to think it is hard to quit smoking especially when you've been smoking since a young age
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Shannon thornton... I responded to another one of your posts, so please look for that.

Also, this link may be helpful to you:

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/tobaccousepregnancy/