An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Learning About What Made Others Relapse

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

What makes someone who has been sober for a really long time suddenly start using drugs again? To be on the safe side finding out why they "stumbled" could give you the information you need to avoid making the sort of mistakes they made. And it doesn't need to be too hard. You'll find the information you need on the internet.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think forums such as this one, people can learn a lot from others and its easier to recognise the traps that they might be heading in to in terms of a relapse.

People relapse for many different reasons, but I'd suggest the main one might be complacency and they think an habit is beaten when it isn't.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

A lot of times relapse happens because people think that after so many years of not doing the drug or drinking, it would be ok to do it just once. If you have managed to stop drinking for a few years and go to a party where alcohol is served, you may think that one drink is not going to hurt you, and the before you know it, you have had several drinks.
    L_B likes this.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it's the triggers that may cause it the most. I notice when you want to quit something you can go along time until triggers show up. But there are ways to avoid these triggers I'm sure of it. Once this part of recovery is mastered I think it will not be very hard to break an addiction.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

That's a good point, however, every body is different and people may get frustrated if they relapse from something which they don't see on the internet. You can relapse from anything, as enablers are not always known until they hit you. Yes, it is good to seek information and avoid situations that could make you relapse, but do not always rely on them.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Everybody is different but sometimes it is because they never really dealt with the under lying problem in the first place. They may have gotten clean but there is so much more beneath then the addiction. I know with my spouse he got clean long ago but he never let go of the past. He did it because it wanted his ex back. She wanted him to get get clean and when he realized she wasn't going to go back with him he slowly started having a drink here and there until he got to a point where he is worse off then he ever was. He still holds on to the past and the old hurts. He has never let them go and when he drinks he constantly brings that stuff up. He can't seem to let it go. I believe if he got counselling and could deal with that then he would be better able to deal with his addiction but he won't seek counselling.
  7. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

For me, relapse into addiction came hand-in-hand with relapses in mental health recovery. I've got anxiety, depression, ADHD, and PTSD. It's mainly the PTSD that drags me down, and when I get triggered over my past, the substances come out of the shadows really quick.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think that knowing what are your triggers is also a good way to prevent a relapse. More often than not, triggers are such a make it or break it pieces of information that makes a clean individual relapse. So if you can avoid them good, if you can handle them, better! The mindset of recovered individuals need to be very focused and strong willed in order to prevent a relapse really.
  9. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

For me, my anxiety and lack of support has made me relapse in the past. I admit that I'm pretty worried at the moment. I've just found out I'm losing a huge source of support (against my will) and I'm afraid I will relapse!
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think when they start to get complacent about not being hooked again since it would only be a "little" dose, or since they have recovered already, they think that it will be easy for them to be sober again because they have already done it. Or simply because of boredom.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

There could be a lot of possible reasons why people who have already been clean and sober for a long time now would suddenly relapse. It can be due to boredom, temptations, peer pressure, etc. But yes, I think recovery is a lifelong process. You have to fight and beat your urges and cravings every single day.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This is very much how I feel on the matter. I think that people oftentimes get complacent. Like you said, I feel like it's a big case of "just once won't hurt" and then it can be like opening Pandora's box.

Then, I think it's a matter of guilt - feeling like you've let yourself down, broken that commitment - and guilt is a really dangerous emotion if you ask me. It can make people get angry, get embarrassed, upset, frustrated - and then things can snowball from there.
  13. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

when it's too much on their shoulder and they're facing problems they never had and can't cope with them go to drugs again.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

A lot of stress causes people to relapse because they do not know how to deal with it. It would be ideal for a recovering person to live in a worry free state of bliss, but most of the time this is not possible because we still have lives to live while trying to get clean and sober.
  15. Tallyho

Hearing everyone else's input is really reassuring for me. I love how there's examples of what drags people down, but also how to avoid it, or get through it.

Also, as a sidenote, Rosyrain, your raccoon picture is the cutest. :3
  16. Kwest92

Kwest92 Member

I can tell you my last relapse was partly just because I wasn't ready for recovery yet! It changes a lot when you're ready to put effort into your own well being.
  17. Tallyho

That's a great point, KWest. The first relapse I had over cigarettes was completely due to having decided to quit too early / without a good enough support system in place prior.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good idea. Taking a look at the pitfalls. How to avoid them. Your question is what makes someone who is sober a long time start doing drugs again?
    Its more than likely a very quick situation that causes them impulsively to fold. A certain situation unfolds and it just happens.