An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Learning New Habits

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Staying sober never is easy. You must persistently fight against what you know isn't good for you even if you body craves for it. Most former addicts who don't change their habits after quitting, hang out with friends who still do drugs and visit places they associate with their previous drug use, end up relapsing.

The easy way to avoid all that is to learn new habits. Make new friends with different people who'll be a good influence. Stay away from everything that reminds you of drug use and you'll most likely stay sober for as long as you stick with the new habits you learn.
    amethyst likes this.
  2. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

The problem is, forming new habits could be really difficult. It's safe to say that most of us have gone through this at one point or another. One self-help book I often recommend is The Power of Habit. The author emphasizes on the habit loop. You can look it up and read about it. Or better yet, read the entire book. It's worth it.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. januz101

januz101 Member

That is easier said than done. Changing habits in such a short amount of time is never easy. That is why its called a habit because you have made it apart of your daily routine. It has been programmed at the back of your mind and you do it subconsciously without you even realizing it. But then again life is about gaining experience through mistakes. And we are bound by the consequences of every decision we make. Life is a choice. We decide whether we succumb to our carnal desires or not.
  4. wlrahilly

wlrahilly Member

I agree making new habits for yourself will help. Instead of hanging out with the friends who drink or do drugs, maybe get involved in some activities and meet new people. Keep yourself busy, things like that.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Easy way to to adapt to a new habit: deconstruction. What most people do not understand when they think and then do a new habit is that they have not truly gotten rid of their old bad habit(s), but have tried to merge a new habit to balance with the old bad habit - this will only cause conflict, mentally and physically. Through personal experience and from reading from others, I have come to understand that in order to rid oneself of a bad habit, one has to identify what invokes or provokes one to act out such a malignant habitual behavior, so one can clear room for one's newfound benign habit. It's like a sculptor, he/she has a block of clay but in order to make a statue, he/she has to carve away at what he/she believe is undesirable.

Habit(s), is/are but self practices derived from one's belief of something that he/she believe was once or can become beneficial, and in insane people, malignant to their selves and others. Humans act on their beliefs, which one's belief then reinforces one's actions.
    Rainman likes this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think it's best to just start finding new hobbies and communities if you find that you are unable to start completely fresh with the old ones. I don't consider it as a slam on old friends who still partake but I think it's just that everyone evolves eventually and this just happens to be one of the ways that it happens, and if we fail to recognize it then it would be our loss and not anybody else's.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Yup, you need to separate yourself from the past and the bad influences. When those are out of the way, you need to fill the void with positive reinforcement. That includes exercise and meeting new people that will be a positive in your life.
  8. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Out with the old, in with the new. If you want to stay sober it's best to just start new and fill your life with positive reinforcments. Obviously the old ways weren't working. So find what works for you and stick to it. Stay healthy and live longer and happier.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Absolutely. To be able to successfully recover, you need to let go of your past habits, and make new ones. It would never be easy to do so but it is clearly for your own betterment, and you know that in the end, it is all worth it.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, things need to change if you’re trying to stay sober. Forming new habits is often difficult, but it’s very much worth the effort. Recovery is a great time for a fresh start like this. Reminds me of a phrase I’ve seen popping up here and there, “nothing changes if nothing changes.”
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree with the habit changing - despite it being hard, it's necessary. My only source of entertainment back in the day was drinking. Someone could ask me what my hobbies were, and I'd give them a blank stare because I truly didn't know what I liked to do, apart from drinking.

When I was recovering, I had to find NEW things I liked to do that didn't involve drinking. It was hard, but it was also fun in a way trying to work out what things I was interested in.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I mentioned this in another thread, but you almost have to move away and start a new life if you were so wrapped up in your drug habit where you currently live. I have seen so many people go back to their old ways because they got back in touch with the people they shared a drug habit with or went places they used to do drugs. It is pointless to spend the money going through rehab if you are going to go back to the life you had while on the drugs.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

There is a saying that "old habits die hard", so learning new habits is easier said than done. I think avoidance of anything that's related to drugs is a better option than learning new habits. Just stay away from bad people, bad influences and bad places and have the resolve to change, then you're good to go.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is good advice. Create a good environment for yourself. If you come across these people you've got to just keep it brief. It can be hard because their patterns are to ramble on in circles like a vortex that sucks you in. I know this lady who is on a tub of prescription drugs and when I talk to her getting away from her is so hard. It feels like a rope that has been put around your body. There is something about this that just draws you in to stay. Evading or avoiding them altogether is best. Acknowledging them at the very least will be best to keep any sort of animosity building.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Forming new relationships is the way to go if you want to learn new habits! You won't learn those all by yourself, you have to have people around you that have different outlooks on life and day-to-day living.
    Creating a new environment or moving houses it's also a good opportunity to start from scratch and become a better person.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Getting out of old routines is part of the healing process when it comes to overcoming an addiction. You got so used to thinking and acting in certain ways that you've come to believe that it's part of your personality, or identity. It's always amazing when you get around to re-discover yourself again. Often it is a real shock when you realize "who" or "what" you have become over the years without even fully realizing it.