An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Learning While High

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by scootpony, Mar 17, 2015.

1. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

I had a friend who played guitar really well. He kept trying to quit smoking for various reasons, not the least of which was it can cost quite a bit. Anyway, he would just find himself getting frustrated because when he wasn't smoking he couldn't play his guitar.

He said he was always high from the first time he tried to play and that when he wasn't he just couldn't seem to connect with it. Couldn't feel the music, I suppose, if he wasn't high.

I'm of the opinion that if he'd just held out for awhile he'd have found his connection again, but I'll never know.

He has since died in a motorcycle accident.
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That sounds like a psychological issue. I have not really been around people who are high, but I know there is a LOT of pot use in my town, I can smell it in certain places. I know from teachers that students do not really learn in class when they are high. As far as learning guitar while high, it sounds like for one thing that was something he wanted to do, so he was intentional about learning it. I am sure he could have played sober if he really wanted to, but he must have in some way really liked and relied on some of the feelings the marijuana gave him.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It may work for some people, and for others it will not as the brain can be differnt in each person and also the same effects will not be happening like in others. It will give you feelings of excitement and a false hope which only will be there until you take the drug and when not taking it will be dejected and sad. I know some who used to take it in school, some did well and some just got so used to the drug that they thought they could use it to help them cope with issues.
  4. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I have heard from many people that when they are high, they can focus and concentrate better. I too have had experiences with this as well. I am a little socially awkward and I would have to get high when I am around people, mainly new crowds. If I wasn’t high, I would not socialize as much. I would be standoffish or kind of rude. Just like your friend wasn’t able to connect with his music without being high, I couldn’t connect with people if I wasn’t. It is however all in your head, because whatever talent you have, you are born with it and do not need to be under an alternate state of consciousness to perform. I used to love socializing and was very good at talking to people. Now that I have experienced a lot of bad situations with people, I don’t like socializing as much. Marijuana would help me unwind. It is a psychological thing because people would just get really comfortable with a substance and they have to have it when doing certain things.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Quite a sad ending.:) I honestly was not expecting that. I was hoping we could perhaps help your friend. The sad ending aside, I have heard that people on both sides of the coin. I tend to agree with a lot of what Vegit012 said. The drug affects people differently.

My son often tells me he knows of users at school who do outstandingly well, while others don't. He tends to believe it has to be related to the difference in brain cells. When all is said and done, I am still not going to be an advocate either way.
    scootpony likes this.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've heard of this before. When you pick up a skill or learn something under a certain mindset you might not preform as well under a different mindset. I believe there's a term for this, I can't recall off the top of my head though. I think the same sort of thing happened to me as a teen. Me and my buddies would hang out a couple times a week and get high every time. We'd always get along great. One time (only once) we hung out sober and we all just sort of sat there quietly.
    scootpony and stariie like this.
  7. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I've kind of been through this. I can be a social butterfly or I can be really quiet and stand-offish, depends on how I'm feeling that particular day. I'm not a shy person at all, but when I used to smoke a lot of weed, it would help me to be more relaxed. I felt like I dealt with people a little better, well, maybe not better, but different, much more laid back.
  8. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Sorry to hear about your friend.

When people are high, a lot of times the high will relax whatever thoughts are racing around in their head. With that calmness comes the ability to focus on the task at hand, in your friends case, the task at hand was playing the guitar. They key is to find a way to relax without the drug, and then get on with the business of honing the talent.
    scootpony likes this.
  9. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I think he was right about the music on some level, a lot of guitar players have attributed enhanced creativity to marijuana consumption. Although given that he said he learnt how to play under the influence it could be possible that this created memories that he could only access while smoking. I think there is a word for this psychological phenomenon.
    scootpony likes this.
  10. scootpony

I wasn't thinking about the whole of that story when I put it here. You're saying it had a sad ending reminded me of just how sad it was.

Mike was an only child whose parents divorced when he was young. His father remarried a little time later to a woman who had two sons of her own. One of them was very close in age to Mike and just happened to be a Mike also.

The two Mikes went through their teens together and got into all kinds of trouble along with my husband's two sons (one of whom is also a Mike). My husband's Mike drank quite a bit but managed to stay pretty much out of the drug scene that his brother and the other two Mikes got into. He was a bit older, too, so I guess he was out of school by the time the others were getting into all that.

Anyway, years passed and the two Mikes who were like brothers had continued to delve into more drugs and more kinds of drugs. The first Mike by then was living with his mother instead of with his father and the other Mike's mother.

Both were really too old to be living with a parent and the second Mike's mother got tired of his ways and told him to find another place to live. He did. He went to live with the first Mike, sharing the downstairs rooms in his mother's house.

The first Mike stayed out all of one weekend and when he got home he went downstairs only to find the second Mike dead from an overdose of I've forgotten what. That was a terrible time for the second Mike's mother, as she felt so bad about having asked him to find another place to live. I don't think she could have done any better under the circumstances. I think she knows that, too; but it's been of little help.

The first Mike started coming around from his own crazy life. Waking up, you might say. Feeling repentant about a lot of things. He was still drinking and smoking pot, but he had gotten off all the other stuff he was doing and making huge strides in other ways; but then about a year and a half after the other Mike died he was coming home from work on his mother's Harley and a man in a truck pulled out in front of him. He couldn't stop and was thrown quite a distance from his bike. Probably, he died instantly.

And on the day before his thirtieth birthday.

Now his father and the other Mike's mother, both having lost a son so close together, are just not even the same people anymore. It's been several years now and depression just seems to be a permanent part of their life together now.

His father goes straight from coffee to beer and switches to liquor at ten in the morning. He's a diabetic, to boot. His wife doesn't tend to be that self destructive, but she looks so tired all the time now. I know she's fighting grief over what's happening with her husband now as much as anything.

My husband is the one who first taught Mike how to play the guitar. Or rather, he got him started and after that Mike by far surpassed my husband's playing. He really was very talented. It's just a total shame that things went the way they did.

And that his father seems now to have given up on so much.
  11. scootpony

I agree with you. I've heard those things, too; but I still think with a little time he could have broken through that wall, whatever it is.
  12. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Sorry about your friend, I believe that you are right, if he would have held out just a little longer he would have reconnected, though I think it would have been much harder for him to play sobber but he would have eventually made it, may his soul rest in peace.
    scootpony likes this.
  13. Herb957

Herb957 Member

You don't mention what methods he was using or used to try and quit smoking marijuana. If he was just trying to quit on his own with no type of support that can be extremely difficult to achieve. Some people have to hit a bottom before they can stop abusing a particular substance. I'm sorry for your friend because as you said you'll never know now what might have worked.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I don't know of people from my entourage that would be able to concentrate better from smoking marijuana. In fact, they have their short-term and long-term memory altered for a long time, that could be up to even 3 weeks!
    I'm actually kind of surprised to see that your friend played the guitar better after smoking marijuana than when he would be "sentient". I guess it really depends on the person and how their body reacts to the respective effect.
  15. scootpony

I guess it does depend on the individual. He's not the only one I ever heard say anything like that, but he is the one for whom the effects seemed the most pronounced. The guy was just so talented. And...well I guess I just don't think he ever gave himself a fair shake at getting past the difficulty. I suspect some of it had to with him maybe just not being able to get his mood right for playing, as he'd spent so little time being straight in his life.

I don't know. That doesn't really make sense, either.

One thing, though. I wonder where he might have gone with his particular talent if he'd not become so involved with so many different kinds of drugs in his teens. I did some things in my teens, too, which continued on into my adult years (drinking, smoking pot and cigarettes); but Mike, he did some really serious stuff. Scary stuff.

And he'd already survived an auto accident so bad that everyone who knew him told him that he needed to find God because God had surely saved him for a reason. Well, he did find God, I believe. Others wonder, but I believe he did before he had the fatal crash.
  16. Herb957

Herb957 Member

Smoking marijuana is probably not that uncommon in the music industry. Abusing a substance is where the problem starts. I recently saw a biography on Louis Armstrong the great trumpet player and was shocked to find out he and his band regularly smoked marijuana during breaks while touring and performing. Never saw that one coming at all. To the best of my knowledge he was never at the point he couldn't perform and keep the audience happy. I think it depends on the performer.
  17. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

it's interesting that I've been able to learn pretty well while I'm under the influence of marijuana. I've noticed that my learning curve actually is a little bit cut down when I'm under the influence because my focus is so dedicated. I'm automatically dedicated to what it is that I'm doing making it a lot easier for me to learn.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Interesting info. I never knew this was common. I thought it was only in the person's head and learning was subjective since they were high in the first place. People should all the more not attempt to learn or do something when high, since it will make them smoke more just to continue to learn it.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure he's already in a better place.
  19. scootpony

I know he is. Thank you.:)

And serenity made an interesting point. It's certainly something for people to consider.

I know other people (besides my short-lived young friend) who get up and smoke pot before breakfast then smoke it in intervals all day long and do their jobs (or whatever) well. Then when they have a day where they don't indulge they have a hard time of it. I know if they gave themselves time that would change, but I begin to think that most will never do that.

I suppose it's just too easy to continue on in the manner in which they are accustomed. Plus, most will say, "Well, it's just pot. Everybody does it and I've done it all my life with no ill effects."

Well, maybe; but many of the people I know are getting older and it just seems strange to see some old fart sitting in his rocker and puffing on a doobie.

But then, that's just me.:)
  20. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I'm sorry about your friend. I never had any problems caused by marijuana in this matter. Is true, when you smoike marijuana you can't concentrate very well , it slows your ability to remember things and , for example, to solve math . When I started smoking I had many exams and I can say that it helped me because I wasn't so stressed like I used to get around these situations. I used to smoke and then read a lot and study. At first it was hard for me to concentrate but I remembered all the things that I have learned when I was under the influence of marijuana. I saw that it helped me concentrate better on reading , all the things I was studying were much more interesting than before.