An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Learning While High

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by scootpony, Mar 17, 2015.

1. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Thank you for responding to me Stariie. I am somewhat of shy person, but that all depends on the people I am around. Once people really get to know me, they will learn that there are a lot of things that make up my personality. I can be mean or standoffish, because I have anger issues. I don't mean to cause harm to anyone, that's just the way I am. I will loosen up if I am under the influence of marijuana or alcohol, because it brings out my social side. I can be social when I'm sober as well, but I just like to be social when I under the influence.
  2. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

Yeah, a lot of musicans drink or smoke to practice. When you are high you think you truly feel the music. Every note passes through you. But the more you smoke the more anxious you are and hearing music isn't everything. You have to play it and that's where the problems begin.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I am sorry to hear that your friend passed away. I've heard it often from creative people that they can't be as productive or creative if they are not under the influence of some substance. Personally, I think it's possible. But art is not just about "creating" something. It takes a lot of practice to acquire real skills. And I have my doubts about the ability of reaching certain levels of concentration while being high.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I love learning/experiencing things with an alternate mind state or something to make me look at situations without rose-colored glasses. So to speak.

I for example can extremely focus while I was "high" or stoned. I don't know what other people thing, but to me it calmed me down, made everything I was learning "more fun" to comprehend. To back this up my friend I went to school with who smoked just as much as I did is now a college professor on her fifth promotion. And she's very, very smart. We learned many of the same things, together, stoned.

I don't know if this helped, inspired, or simply was a placebo effect. But it definitely did not hurt us or "not make us understand" what was going on. In no way.

Like Diana S said, it helped me concentrate better. Just like my own form of ADHD medicine, so to speak. Granted, it wasn't prescribed but it helped me all the same.
  5. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I had a friend like this, too. Only mine would engage in philosophical discussions every time he got high. To be perfectly honest, his thoughts were lucid and analytical and almost everything he blurted out made perfect sense to me. It's like he acquired a super power. He was never like this while he was sober. The effects marijuana can have on us are sometimes mind-boggling.
  6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

That is very real and it is called "state dependent learning". The theory is that if you learn something you will recall it better if you are in the same state. For example if a kid sits in the same seat every day at school and switches seats during the test, they are less likely to remember what they have learned. I smoked weed everyday in college and my first year I took finals without smoking and barely passed. The next year I was high during finals and passed with flying colors.
  7. Shimus

Thanks for that, Kjones. I never knew it was actually a "Thing" but I expected something along those lines. Imperivm1, I was like that friend. I get philosophical. I become lucid, have though trains and processes I can't access while I'm not in my altered state of mind. I still have full control and know and am cognitive of what is going on while I'm baked, but I'm less concerned and all cylinders in my brain start firing away. I can create or perform better than I can on a normal level.

This has been tried and tested many times. I've did this purposely just to justify the usage (though it was still a drug and I was still using it - that doesn't change) but it can have beneficial effects.
  8. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

Definitely a psychological issue there mate. I felt the same thing when coming off weed, it was like the world wasn't as I knew it anymore, truth be told I had been smoking for such a long time that I couldn't actually remember what life was like without cig's or weed, and that was really sad for me, so sad that I have decided to never go back to the way I used to be. I think the main reason people become addicted is because they smoke to feel normal, if there are issues, sort them out.

I never realised I was smokign to feel normal, but looking back on it, I wasn't even sure what normal felt like.
  9. justalittle

justalittle Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Musical talent is something that you may be born with or gain with practice. I understand where your friend was coming from, but maybe if he persevered it would have eventually happened.
  10. harold

harold Community Champion

Sorry about your friend. I believe that it is a psychological problem. People often try to escape from reality through habits like that. I know people who believe that if they do not do particular things, their lives would crumble. Unfortunately, these things are mere addictions. One can often get away from such addictions with the right help. You can never know what you can do on your own until you try it. People often enjoy hiding under the shadow of someone or something, until they find out that they can do fine on their own. I strongly believe that the situation is just a mental one, and can be cured with the right help.
  11. LordKJ

LordKJ Member

Sorry about your friend. I know when I was high, I was a lot more alert and paid a lot more attention to small things. I learned so much from sitting stoned on my couch watching the news. It relaxed me and I could sit and think about one thing and come up with great ideas. Everything seems more interesting when you're stoned.
  12. Bernie1

Bernie1 Member

I started smoking weed in the final year of high school. I won't say that it ruined my life because it didn't. It did however, weaken my will to study. I couldn't study when I was High. It's too difficult. My mind wandered, my body felt like lead and I completely forgot where I was and what I had to do. So I think that weed doesn't help a person with learning, it in fact inhibits them from doing their best.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I have heard this before as well, typically about more artistic stuff like music and drawing.
  14. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Ah, heard this from many people -- that weed changed the way they felt music, and all. My bf has a better time learning my language and making music after a bong hit. Maybe because it puts the stress away; maybe because of the way it affects the brain (I mean, it's not LSD, we cannot pretend it makes people that much more creative; but there could be something to it).
  15. xpictoc

xpictoc Member

One of my close friends needs to smoke a bowl before studying, and he might be the best student I've ever seen. He aces exams most of us struggle with, even though he smokes almost every day. I haven't tried it myself but I can imagine that intense focus you sometimes feel, where you absorb everything you read or watch instantly. Too bad those moments are few and far in between for me :(
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

While it's true you're more creative in music while high, it's not like you can't play the instrument if you're not. Like somebody already mentioned, it's a psychological probvlem. I play guitar, and i can play it high or sober. It's true things sound better when you're high, but they sound cool when you're sober also. Eric Clapton did drugs for decades, and he can play just as good sober. Same thing with SRV. He almost died from cocaine use, but he still played great when he quit.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Dear OP, I am pretty sure it's a psychological thing all the way, he could play guitar with or without marijuana if he wanted. So sorry to read he died though, I hope he is in a better place now. I hope he didn't let a wife and kids behind.
  18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Sometimes it's the same thing when I'm at school chewing on gum, I learn better and become more focused as I am working my brain and it's not slacking. It is usually a psychological thing which is what seems to be the case here as well.
  19. Shimus

It's completely psychological, because you don't see these musical prodigies who play massive concert halls getting baked before hand - they play the same all the time.

But the feeling of the "High" itself can lead to new creativity that would otherwise not arise in a sober mindframe too. (or at the least, the ILLUSION of creativity)

However, isn't that the point of using to inspire something that isn't there beforehand? - to get a 'muse' of sorts - again, another psychological aspect. But I know a fair bit of people who swore by it or they couldn't perform well. I used to be one of them before realizing that was just a dependency clicking on.
  20. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I am terribly sorry to hear the sad ending of your friend passing in such a tragic way.
    Just basing off my own experiences I could totally see what he was experiencing. Many musicians and artists have said similar things.
    When I was high I had trouble focusing on more than one thing. The thing I was focused on at the time, usually something obscure or creative, I was very focused on and would even lose track of time on. I felt like I was in a "zone" and enjoyed whatever I was doing extremely. That sounds like what was happening with your friend's music.