An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Learning While High

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by scootpony, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I find myself in that "Zone" too, but I find there can be "triggers" that help you reach that zone aside from bad habits - favorite music, comfortable working environment, friends and family who care and encourage what you're doing.. many different sides to the same coin, so to speak.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah it is kind of interesting how drugs and creativity go together. Many famous artists throughout history looked for an altered state to create things. I've even had prescription drugs that made me play instruments in a way I am astonished at. The whole thing is really interesting. The ability is there though already. It is and you have to realize that you are capable without the fix. Van Gogh would sniff paint to get high and do his brilliant works of art.
    I don't know it's a crutch to me. Any brilliant artist or musician can do what they do without drugs or inhaling dangerous fumes to get high. You just have to believe in your ability and let it flow.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

There's a lot of musicians who play instruments really good after smoking weed. Bob Marley was an example of someone who could be high and perform well. I don't know why this seems to be the case. Scientist should study this concept more. I think if your naturally talented you can play instruments even when sober.
  4. Shimus

I really don't think it changes how you play, it just changes how YOU Think it plays. The psychological aspect of "If I'm buzzed, stoned, or high, I can perform this task with no issue, in the zone" whereas a sober man who is addicted to marijuana might say, "I need this to help me set the mood for the stage tonight." = psychological.

That's almost a harder addiction to overcome then a physical one, because you can't really grasp intangible aspects.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I still think marijuana has some affect on music abilities. It could be psychological when some one says they can't perform without it. But usually out of all substances this one seems to enhance peoples performance. I'm not saying you should use this to be good at music. I just know there could be something science should look into more.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have also heard about cases such as this one wherein a certain person find himself/herself to be more creative when he/she is under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other substances. It just works effectively to other people, but of course, just because this specific drug somehow enhances their abilities/talents doesn't mean we should try it as well.
  7. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

Most definitely a psychological problem. I understand where he is coming from, I had a similar problem. I think all users or people who've managed to quit at some point in their lives realized that things were not worth doing unless high. Suddenly comedy is not as fun, sex is not as passionate, etc. For me, it was drawing. I felt like marijuana gave me more creative ideas. That is simply your addicted mind playing games with/against you. Once you quit, eventually it goes back to normal. That's one of the few things stoners get right: side effects are reversible.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

That was an addiction. He had a talent in playing guitar but unfortunately he smoked marijuana. You can play guitar or do anything else without taking drugs. That is what we should know.
  9. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I find that doing creative tasks while high is much easier. By creative I do not only mean art related activities. Something unorthodox that may be included is coding a program or thinking of methods to code an application etc.
  10. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Very sad what happened to your friend. I think marijuana just makes learning a bit more interesting. The problem with this is the psychological dependency that can be created and it could affect your sober life making you think you NEED marijuana to do anything. When that happens a person should just stop and try to get control before they do it again.
  11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

It is said, and it is even proved that alcohol and drugs may increase the intellectual potential of some people, but this is just a blaze of inspiration, and not a real thing.

If marijuana or any other substance would have such creativity power, the whole world would be doing drugs to improve each person's intellect.

Definitely the guy had a wrong perception about his musical source of inspiration.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

I don't believe that you can be a productive learner when you are high because you are not at the height of your senses. You are relaxed and sleepy. With msrijuana, hunger can also be on your mind a lot. You are definitely not thinking straight enough to learn math or science.

However, I think artists are a whole different story because they are creating, not learning. Your inspiration comes differently and you can reflect whatever you are thinking in that state, whether it is good or bad.
  13. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

How could this work though? Rumors say that your attention is deeply affected by the marijuana effect, and you can't even concentrate on your surroundings. Given this aspect, how could one potentially learn while high? I don't think it could work, but again if you mention it... you might have an idea. :)
  14. Shimus

See, when you're deeply affected by it, you "Zone out" and actually are QUITE focused.. on the task at hand, and not much else. But I can learn, game, and do things better while I was "stoned" and "in the zone" so I rationalized it as a learning aide myself for the longest time before I realized it was just delusional side effects from the psychological addiction.
  15. nwalker85

nwalker85 Member

I found that smoking improved my patience. I wouldn't say that it necessarily improved my focus, but I certainly had the patience to sit a play the same song over and over again on guitar for hours.
  16. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

It makes sense in a way, but completely forgetting how to play or something like that is a bit much. I could see discomfort and slight playing problems but its not that much of a factor.
  17. I have heard a lot of positive reports concerning marijuana and its effect on a studying person. But, it should never be depended on. I believe there are negative effects along those few positive ones. Inhaling smoke into your lungs cannot be without any negative effect. The lungs were meant to take in pure oxygenated air.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Good story, bad ending. Yes drugs and alcohol seem to go with music. I can say I've experienced that myself. I can play the piano amazingly when I'm on certain things. It's quite wild and I could see how a musician would get addicted to that.
    People when they socialize are better at it sometimes when they are under the influence of something. Years ago a friend talked me into ecstasy. I am not into daily use of anything that eats brain cells. I told her one time. Don't ask me again for another ten years. So I tried it. We go into NYC to party. I'm sitting there and I said, "I don't feel anything." she says take another half. I did. We get to the next club and it hit me. I was only drinking water. Well if I could be like that all the time with guys I'd be having a real good time. Everything was beautiful so was everyone. It was great. What I said to this guy who all my pals attempted to grab up. If I could talk like that normally. Maybe I should try to do that, a little acting out of character. Without the E!
    Yeah so how does a musician or creative type get into that zone without the drugs. It's possible. The talent is there. The substances just make you more relaxed. It's like the story I just told. I might think something about somebody, but I don't usually say it. Certainly not with the zest of what the E gives you. I guess the only way is to mimic it and push yourself. The instrument, develop the craft, relax and get into it.
  19. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

That is really strange and learning while high is not a good thing. When you smoke marijuana you are not able to concentrate as effectively. Marijuana slows your problem-solving abilities and is detrimental to your overall health. No matter what someone says, he or she is does not benefit from the use of marijuana as a learning aid.
  20. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have actually heard this from pot smokers as well. They seem to believe that by smoking weed it enhances their ability to do better at certain things. I do think this could be true. Not being a pot smoker myself I couldn't say, but I know that some people swear by it.