An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Leaving The Past Can Hurt

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by crc3thebest, Jun 14, 2015.

1. CarolinaV

CarolinaV Member

What really helped me take my first step towards sobriety was to acknowledge and identify my "triggers". In my case it was my past. I didn't have an easy childhood and alcohol abuse in my family was simply used as an escape from reality. Once I realised that none of my problems could nor should be solved by alcohol, I could finally see that I was the one who needed to work on myself and let go of my past habits in order to become myself again. If I can offer my advice, it would definetly be to find help and understanding from friends or professionals.
  2. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Hey there man, thank you for sharing your story, remember that leaving something that we loved behind is always going to hurt, that is why there is a future waiting for you, do not worry, good and better things are going to happen to you inteh future, jsut have faith, god bless you!
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

A lot of people are used to run away from their problems and their past... as if it was a mistake that they don't want to look at it again, but the important thing here is that this "mistake" is the one who really make us grow up as people, as human beings. And for some of us, sometimes it is hard to leave the past, but is a necessary thing to do.
    I'm glad that you've found a part of the peace that you needed in God, keep it up!
  4. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Hey great to hear your thoughts and views pretty inspirational talk.from my own experience.I've began to view people who judge other's do so to make themselves feel better about themselves and it usually is the case in most people which do. Brilliant that you are able to reach out to others chin up and straight ahead as you journey on.Fair play and keep up the good work obviously this is part of God's plan for you God bless you ☺
    deanokat likes this.