An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Carnold23, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I live in Canada, and we recently got a new prime minister. One of the first things on his agenda is legalizing marijuana. How does everyone feel about that?
    In my opinion I think it could be good for the economy. Legalizing marijuana will mean lots of revenue. Also, it will be government controlled. Dealers won't be making money off of it, and there will be less worry about it being laced with other drugs.
    On the other hand, I am not a huge fan of marijuana. I think it can have used medically, and I wish it was only available medically. Despite that, people are going to use it. At least if it's government controlled it will be safe and not contaminated by pesticides or other drugs.
    missbishi and L_B like this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

How can legalizing marijuana be good for the economy? Is your prime minister thinking of legalizing marijuana in all aspects? I would understand if he legalizes the medical side of it but to legalize recreational use, that does not seem to be a good idea. We all know too much of it is dangerous to one's mental and emotional health. Even if you warn people to be responsible in using it, there are those who would not hesitate to abuse the substance for self-serving reasons.
  3. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Dealers who can't make money off marijuana will simply shift to other commodities that make them the only buyers. It's not as if they'll just roll over and accept the loss of their primary livelihood. Nor will their suppliers further down the chain - South American cartels and terrorist organization, even. Let's not forget that they make a lot of money off this junk.

And Americans aren't exactly happy about the way government is taxing marijuana in the two states where it is legal. The rates are ridiculous and the rules unfair, is the common sentiment.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think Canadians are smart people and have a healthy, functioning society. I think the new prime minister trusts the Canadian people to make wise choices and to handle this issue in a mature manner. The majority of Canadian citizens will undoubtedly continue with their lives as normal, legalized marijuana use won't entice them to try. While those that do use marijuana will not be treated as criminals.
    L_B likes this.
  5. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Legalization of marijuana sends the message to children and adolescents that using marijuana is okay, and that there are no neagtive health effects. However, research indicates that marijuana use leads to negative impacts on one's cognitive abilities, especially causing memory loss in chronic users.

While government revenue is inevitable if marijuana is legalized, the negative impacts it will have on the health of the citizens is not worth the revenue. Furthermore, think of the effects it will have on a society as a whole? I know multiple people who smoke marijuana and are unemployed or lazy workers, who contribute little to society, and they are okay with it. I am not saying that everyone who smokes marijuana is like this, however, the chronic users I know have no problem behaving this way.
  6. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I think if marijuana becomes legal that dealers will make more money from it. Dealers are popular because many of them make house calls, so if you're a smoker, the convenience of a house call is going to keep you and your dealer still connected on some level.

Weed being legal is not a good idea in my opinion. I've smoked a lot of weed in years gone by, so I understand all the fuss about it to a certain extent, but making another form of smoking legal is just not smart. Smoking is not good for the body, whether it's from weed, cigarettes or whatever.

This is such a hot-button issue, too bad that these days people are so stressed out that legalizing weed is even on the table.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am interested to see what the new Prime Minister does. He is young and very smart. I trust him t do what he thinks is best for our country. Time will tell what happens from here.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, it is legal in Colorado, and it seems to be working out OK. I think that many people look at it as being a cure for everything, but it could lead to more problems. However, I think that it only makes sense to legalize it in limited quanitities...and maybe to be used in small amounts. We need the help with the economy in this country.
  9. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I'm thinking that it might be easier to control it if its out in the open. So its going to be legalize and regulate. Its harder to control and regulate something that you don't see. If the marijuana stays underground, then its harder to control but once its out in the open then you can control it better.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'm wondering, once marijuana is legalized it will advertising be allowed? Or will it operate under "legal but no ads?"

That hardly matters though. I think that once it is legalized there'll be an initial spike in the number of people using marijuana and that will be accompanied with some of the nasty effects. IMHO, I don't think legalization would be good for the people even if the government will make some cash on taxes.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The legalization of marijuana would free up a lot of police time and resources which could be put to far better use catching serious criminals. In addition, the jails would be less crowded and have more money to spend on rehabilitory programs. More rehabilitation equals less reoffending. Less reoffending means the police get to save even more time and money.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Weed should have been legalized a long time ago. For example, alcohol is legal, but weed is not? Alcohol is way more harmful than weed. I tell you, they had their reasons for making weed illegal, and it doesn't have anything to do with our health or the community. It's all about money.
  13. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

How is it going to be legalized in Canada, are they going to adopt a similar model to that used in the Netherlands? The Dutch model comprises of legal consumption in special designated areas and of course at home. It´s not legal to smoke in public areas, in other words you can't walk down the street smoking a joint.
  14. abbielu

abbielu Member

It just became legal in Oregon as well. I am glad for it, I have never smoked Marijuana, but the idea of it being illegal always really bothered me. It just does not make sense. I wrote a 15 page research paper on it, and don't know how to sum that up. I guess the closest I can come to a summary is, how can alcohol be legal and marijuana not? Principals of marijuana aside, it is a gross double standard!
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a Canadian but I hope that it will be more for the good of the people there.
    I am not in favor of it but that is just my opinion as I can see it more like making more people use it or at least try it since it is legal. Medical use is okay especially if proven effective and safe.
  16. SPR012

SPR012 Member

Legalization of marijuana definitely has its' benefits (tax revenue, medicinal purposes, out of the hands of dealers, etc.) but legalization will not change much in terms of cannabis consumption. Adolescents wanting to partake in marijuana consumption will still find a way to get their hands on weed no matter if it is legal or illegal. Legalization is still overall a step in the right direction in my opinion. Those with addiction issues will more easily be able to seek help and turn their lives around with the normalization of the drug in mainstream culture.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it may work and the governments will be able to keep an eye on this drug since it will be legal and it will be taxed, but it will be higher and their maybe a black market for this and people will use it as the high cost can cause them to obtain it by illegal means. Medical marijuana won't be a problem now and people who need it for health problem should be able to obtain it, and the government should let the ones who need it use it as they can be saved unlike before where they lost their life. It is interesting to see what the new laws will do for the people and hope the government makes good choices and not let a black market occur as the goods can be of low quality but the price can be higher or lower.
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

In most states in America it is legalized. I think it's really no different than alcohol. It's not the worst thing to use out of all other things. If this helps the economy and doesn't kill people then why not? I personally don't need it myself, but could never understand how this was ever illegal while alcohol wasn't. It would be safer if it's legal any way.
  19. sefirozu

sefirozu Member

I live in Mexico, and the debate about legalization has begun here also. Personally, I've been using marijuana for years now, and I'd welcome legalization. Frankly, I'm a responsible adult and should be able to smoke it if I so choose.
  20. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Although I still have not made a decision in how I feel about the legalization of marijuana, I do see how it is "good" for the economy. Take for example the legalization of marijuana in Colorado. The money that the government has earned in taxes for the sale of marijuana alone is more than 70 million in the short time that the marijuana has been legalized for. If the government wanted to, they could put this money to good use for the people. Also in a way I think if weed was legal, maybe it would stop being such a taboo and mainly teens would stop seeing it as cool and would never even try it.