An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Legalizing marijuana...your thoughts

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by MrsJones, Mar 29, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

If legalizing marijuana were to happen, wouldn't it become a controlled substance? And if as a controlled substance, wouldn't it be illegal to be in possession of a controlled substance? Why would you make an illegal substance legal for it to still be illegal if it's not for medical use?

These are questions that boggle my mind with legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes.
  2. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

From Wikipedia:

A controlled substance is generally a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession, or use is regulated by a government, such as illicitly used drugs or prescription medications that are designated a Controlled Drug.

Ostensibly if it's regulated by the government then where is the illegality in that?
  3. MrsJones

I understand what you're saying, let me rephrase my question. If a person is caught with a control substance without receiving treatment from a physician, wouldn't it be illegal?
  4. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

The fact that they legalized it for medical purposes points to the obvious. Marijuana can be beneficial if done properly, also theres no clear restriction on how much should a person smoke at any given time, just how much you can buy. I think this whole legalizing approach is just the state trying to take contro of the production and see if they can profit form it, tax it. It has nothing to do with protecting us from the danger. Cigarettes are good for nothing at all, and is well known they cause cancer, but yet they don't ban it.
    Mara likes this.
  5. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I really don't think that they can control it because there are so many different strains and strengths. The stuff I am smoking in California is totally different than weed that is grown in Colorado. It is very frustrating that the policy makers don't know much about the product being sold so they can't really regulate it.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. MrsJones

These are a good points @sillylucy. I believe that they would only be able to regulate what they would have grown themselves or by whomever. That's the only way they would know their product.
  7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Right now it depends on your location. Here in New York City, medical marijuana has been legalized, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to get it. Basically you have to prove that you need it for a specific medical condition or it's illegal. In California, by contrast, it's nowhere near as strict. It took me half an hour to get a card, and I presuming that if I were to be apprehended I could just flash the card and it would be fine.
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

If pot was legalized, wouldn't it be treated more like cigarettes, though?
    Momma9 likes this.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If its legal it wouldn't be classified as a controlled substance anymore. Alcohol was illegal at some point and now it's not anymore. Once they pass a law to make something legal you can't get in trouble for possessing it. This would be legal all the way around if it was on a federal level.
  10. MrsJones

Marijuana is illegal in Ohio. Thank you for sharing the comparison of medical marijuana in California and New York City.

So is all marijuana legal in New York City or just marijuana used for medicinal purposes? This is what boggles me the most because there are all types of marijuana grown, treated and sold for recreational use that is deemed illegal.
  11. MrsJones

This is a good question. I wouldn't think it would be because of the different affects of each. Marijuana being known to have more noticeable affects than cigarettes.
  12. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Where I live, it has recently become legal to a certain extent. That is where you can only have a certain amount on you at any given time. I am still not entirely sure why marijuana is illegal and I believe that in the future, most places will have legalized it. Due to it being illegal in most places, I think it has acted as a reason to incite crime and violence. Even so, legal or not, it's all over the place and there is no controlling it.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

At Federal level marijuana is still considered to be an illegal and dangerous drug. But if you aren't being arrested in your State for marijuana possession even if you are using it as medicine I suppose it's not that bad. I wonder if the Federal government will legalize medical marijuana any time soon.
  14. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

If yоu'rе аsking thе quеstiоn, Whаt аbоut thе lеgаlizаtiоn оf mаrijuаnа pеriоd, sо thаt tоns оf it саn gо аnywhеrе аnytimе, аnd аs mаny 13-yеаr-оlds саn hаvе it аs muсh аs thеy wаnt sо thаt thеy саn gеt strung оut оn thе drug, thеn I wоuld sаy, "Wе dоn't dо thаt with аlсоhоl! Wе dоn't lеt 16-yеаr-оlds gо intо а bаr аnd gеt whаtеvеr thеy wаnt." I wоuld guеss thаt, аs а sосiеty, wе wоuld sее thаt wе lоvе оur сhildrеn аnd wе wаnt tо bе саrеful.
  15. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't want marijuana to be legalized. If it is legalized, marijuana addiction will increase. Having said that I also approve use of marijuana in medicine.
  16. mistermiranda

mistermiranda Member

Depending on your home state, legislators are probably debating between legalization or decriminalization at this point. And with laws at the federal level trumping state laws or local ordinances, it gets really tricky.

Another dimension that twists things is that the suppliers of legalized or decriminalized drugs are doing legal business in on jurisdiction, while they are murdering competitors or police in their own (namely Colombia).

The Economist had an article about it about two years ago that explains it in a nutshell pretty well: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/06/economist-explains-10
  17. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

So do you all think alcohol should be illegal? I am seriously wondering! Marijuana is no more troublesome than alcohol. When alcohol was illegal people still managed to drink it. Where pot is illegal people still use it. It seems like the government would make a nice cut of cash by legalizing it. And think of all the money that would be saved from decriminalizing it!

I don't think that controlling people and passing laws are going to stop addiction. As a society, specifically as parents and mentors, we must make the change happen in ourselves and our families.
  18. MrsJones

@mistermiranda. Good article to read for our members and guests, thank you.