An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Legalizing Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tcorbs, Jun 20, 2018.

1. tcorbs

tcorbs Member

I'm a Canadian whose very concerned about the legalization of Marijuana in Canada. Making this drug legal makes me a little nervous about what comes next. Where do we draw the line in the legalization of drugs? I get that the government sees this as a way to minimize the criminal element but what message are we really sending?
    deanokat likes this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I think it's to make it available for medical reasons mostly.The pro's out weigh the con's on this one.I also think it has alot to do with the fact it's a major cash crop the "power's that be" can make a fortune on.I have a son that had a very rare form of cancer and marijuana has helped him,it allowed him to eat and kept him from being in intense pain,he did not have to rely on pain meds which in my opinion is much worse,that being said i do believe parent's need to educate their kid's on marijuana as it can become a "Crutch" and if allowed it can be just as debilitating as any other substance.
    tcorbs likes this.
  3. tcorbs

tcorbs Member

I agree with marijuana for pain or illness, I've seen videos on how it works well with seizures. I am just concerned with the legalization of it for recreational use. I'm so sorry to hear about your son, my daughter had a cancer scare recently and we're dealing with it as well. It's hard to see your child in any pain and I can imagine what you and your family must have gone through. I have a son who uses marijuana for anxiety but it seems to have become a "crutch" and it worries me. My best to you and your son.
    Dominica, True concern and deanokat like this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Since Canada officially legalized the recreational use of marijuana yesterday, I understand your concern, @tcorbs. I'm not sure anyone knows what comes next. I have mixed feelings about pot being legal. On the one hand, I like it because I don't think people should be arrested or ticketed or go to jail for it. I happen to believe that weed is safer than alcohol. But I'm also worried that the availability of pot will mean more people using it. And while I believe it's safer than alcohol, I do believe it can be bad for a lot of people. It's a slippery slope, for sure.

One thing's for certain: A major reason for legalization is the $$ the government will make as a result. I don't think there's any doubt about that.
    True concern likes this.
  5. deanokat

I have a son who uses weed for anxiety, too. And I feel the same way you do: I feel like it's become a crutch for him. It's so frustrating for me and my wife. *sigh*
  6. tcorbs

tcorbs Member

It is frustrating, my son recently gave up a really good job opportunity (had the job for a week) but quit because the job required drug testing. I try to be as supportive as I can be but it takes its toll for sure!
  7. deanokat

I hear ya, @tcorbs. My son is having trouble finding a job because he can't pass a drug test. Not a good situation. Just know that you're not alone in your struggle.
    tcorbs likes this.
  8. tcorbs

tcorbs Member

deanokat likes this.
  9. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@tcorbs @deanokat i'm sorry both of your sons are struggling with this.... :/ i know it's not easy on them..and you.
    tcorbs and deanokat like this.
  10. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@tcorbs i have mixed feelings too. i think pot is safer than alcohol... in fact, i know it is. i'd rather they make alcohol illegal.

i believe weed can help people in various ways, but as with so many things, some will abuse it... some will love the way it makes them feel and depend on it... some will end up with synthetic crap that might kill them. it can feel so overwhelming...the whole drug issues!!

we are here to listen and chat with you anytime... you're not alone!
    tcorbs and deanokat like this.
  11. True concern

True concern Community Champion

By the grace of God my son is now cancer free,i am sorry to hear about your daughter's scare i hope and pray everything goes well with that.I don't know i hear people say often "It's a new age" or were now in a "Modern era"and the views of people in power are significantly different from what we are use to,Canada would be a great example as Trudeau is awfly young to be running a country just like in France "Macron"also is young to be running a country and this younger generation is much more informed than we were or than the people were use to seeing in power and i assume they are looking at the truly devastating statistics on the effects of opioids and even amphetamine which is commonly prescribed for attention deficit disorder versus the false claims made about marijuana for generations prior.I mean there is no way marijuana should be labeled as lethal as heroin or crack but in the government domain that's how it is labeled at least in the U.S. so i believe the thinking is marijuana could be used for both pain and attention deficit disorder along with other ailments that normally would take a prescription for opioid or amphetamine.So i don't know i also have mixed feelings as the options are "Pick the lesser of two evils" so it forces a discussion with our kid's that maybe we don't know how to have and maybe don't want to have but in a modern world where a smartphone will teach our kid's about all the thing's we want to shelter them from it's hard.I hope our youth makes better decisions than past generation's and it's definitely hard because by the time they are 25 they will be better educated than any generation before them.It's tough this pace the world currently moves at,i try to keep up but often struggle.Anyways i hope you have a wonderful day Stay Strong and God Bless
    deanokat likes this.