An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Less smoking on TV....

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by MissLisa, Dec 13, 2014.

1. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

Is it just me?, or are there less smoking on TV these days? I have hardly noticed any smoking on television in the last years or so. The big drug stores have stop selling cigarettes and there have been less public advertisements of the product. It is like the world just woke up and decided to not let bad habits take them out! I was wondering when this day would come? I am personally over joyed at the fact that we have finally realized that it is not cool to smoke, and it is killing people all over the world. We have enough problems and don't need to add to them by killing ourselves while making the companies that produce these addictive products richer. It is past time that we did what is right for our bodies and the people who depend on us.

For the people out there who are still addicted and are trying to beat it, I wish you speedy success. My father died from lung cancer after smoking for years. He died way too soon. I really feel for those people who find it hard to kick the habit. You all should not give up on fighting for you life. Your life is more than just about you.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

There's less smoking on tv and movies nowadays because the laws for cigarette ads and product placement have evolved through the decades and by this point it is now much more discouraged than at any other point in history. I'm not sure what the mechanics are exactly but from what I vaguely know or remember I think movies get taxed more or get a higher age restriction when they showcase cigarette smoking.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Smoking rates are dropping little by little, and it's probably true that less smoking is found in television and movies. Showcasing smoking in television and movies does come with a few disadvantages as far as taxation is concerned. However, public backlash doesn't really arise when a movie features smoking, unless it's a constant presence or something. The public is definitely more aware of the dangers of smoking than ever before, and efforts to discourage and eliminate smoking continue to gain steam and momentum.
  4. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I saw something the other night on a TV special and it had the Flintstones doing cigarette ads! we've come a long, long way since those days. I could not believe how many times they smoked in the old cartoons etc as well as on TV.
    Here's a link
  5. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Right now I am abroad and a law has been implemented by the government that before EVERY single TV show or movie they have to state the dangers of smoking and tobacco use. They even randomly state it as the show airs.
  6. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Actually Woody Allen refused to release his movie in my country because of that law. So a huge potential market of theater enthusiasts he shrugged off all because he did not like that there was a law that stipulated that the dangers of smoking and tobacco use be known before the movie starts. LMAO.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah I believe you are right. Now its endless drug commercials. The side effects are more entertaining than the beer commercials.
    "you may have suicidal thoughts. Ask your doctor if you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours." Lol I mean really are these people serious.
    MichelleVL likes this.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that it is a good thing that there are lesser exposure for cigarettes in the media.
    In here, there are no more commercial for cigarettes for years already. There are also some places where there are "no smoking" signs were displayed although not strictly followed and implemented.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I agree with the fact that there should be less and less smoking on TV and in the movies, I'm not sure it as the same impact on teenagers as what it used to.

These days there's all sorts of warnings against smoking and just because an actor is shown smoking, they aren't as inclined to take up the habbit themselves like they used to.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think it reflects what has already happened in society. Most young people don't smoke cigarettes so since there'd be no reason in advertising the product to the wrong demographics they don't bother anymore. But even though the number of cigarette smokers has dropped because it doesn't get as much attention as it did in the past, the number of weed smokers is on the rise . . . not much progress has been made IMHO.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

That is right... Smoking is not advertised as much as it used to...but teens still do think that smoking is cool.
    as much as I hate the fact that smoking is so bad for the body, but I think Nicotine is a necessity for some people and not just addicted people...that's why I think we need to fund E-cigs... Help the technology advance....
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

No, it's not just you. There has been a very strong move to stop the advertisement of cigarettes and other tobacco products in all types of media. Unless it's absolutely pertinent to the story, you won't see anyone smoking and form of tobacco. It's the new taboo. I personally think that it's a good thing, as they say out of sight out of mind.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think there's a fine line between having a blanket ban on smoking in films and TV, and allowing it for the purposes of realism. I'm not condoning it, but what I mean is if a film is being made about the 1960's for example, many people did smoke so is it acceptable to have the lead actor smoking?

I don't think it promotes smoking as such, it's just a portrayal of how things were at that time.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Where I live it had been implemented a long time ago not to advertise cigarettes on TV or media. I can tell that I had never seen any cigarette commercial when I was young, so the whole thing happened before I was born. The regulations concerning it got tougher over time, but they still smoke in movies. I don't watch TV so much, so I am not very familiar with the case.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I didn't necessarily think about it but you're right, less smoking on TV is actually true. I don't know if it's because of the laws or because they are trying to focus on other things, but I'm glad to see cigarettes treated more carefully.
  16. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

There is definitely a decrease in smoking on television. I think as the years have gone on, smoking has become less popular. Sure, there are regular smokers out there, but people are very aware of the health risks. Vaping seems to be the popular option right now and they aren't going to be using them in television. A cloud of smoke is going to cause a fuss when it comes to the cameras.
  17. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, I've noticed this as well. Television shows are more politically correct but also more health conscious. Nowadays, actors and actresses in both international and local shows are seen holding a cup of coffee. Usually it will be branded by one of the coffee franchises that is sponsoring that given series. Seldom do I ever see a character smoking, and even drinking alcohol is becoming less common.
  18. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

In the past most sports were sponsored by tobacco companies. When certain sports started putting bans on advertising tobacco, there was an outcry clamming that it would be the end of that sport. One such sport was Formula 1, after all the banter had calmed down, the teams simply found new sponsors and the sport carried on.
  19. L_B

L_B Community Champion

There is definitely less smoking on TV today. You do see it every once in a while but it is rarely. One time it was a common thing to see actors smoking. Everything was sponsored by tobacco companies so that is how they promoted their products. It came across as it was cool to smoke.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

In the UK they banned the advertising of tobacco products on television, although they still allow the advertising of alcoholic products which doesn't really make much sense to me. After that, there was a decline of seeing people smoke on television. Soon afterwards, smoking in public places was banned and since then it's not often that you see smoking on television any more.