An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Lesser known dangers

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by iga, Nov 30, 2015.

1. iga

iga Member

Of course everybody knows the standard cancer-related health risks (which I am not going to go over because I am sure people get tired of hearing it), but what about the lesser-known dangers? Like slipping on ice and twisting your back going outside for a smoke, then catching your darn beard on fire and reeking for most of the day. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Canadian winter starting to pick up lol
    L_B likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Well, where I grew up is very wildfire prone - people would always talk about the dangers of not disposing of a cigarette butt correctly and starting a wildfire. And yes, a lot of wildfires that would happen were attributed to things like people throwing their cigarette butts still lit out of car windows whilst driving. Super dangerous!
  3. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Here is a lesser known danger: of becoming broke. My girlfriend's parents are struggling with money and are working in foreign countries to raise enough money to buy a house, yet they are avid smokers.

In my country, the average apartment in the suburbs is about $30,000, more ore less, depending of the city. By smoking 2 packs of cigarettes per day, they spend about 30 Ron, which is about $7.15. If you multiply 7.15 * 365 days in a year = $2555 wasted of smokes. If you multiply by 10 (years), they would have saved $25,555 (without any interest) only by not smoking. Had they invested the money and earned 7% per year, they would have been able to buy an apartment without working their asses of in foreign countries.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Dangers? Being out of money due to your addictions. My parents struggled all my childhood with smoking and it really took a toll on my relationship with them. I started hating them because we didn't have money a lot of times, while other kids had fun I had to stay at home. I still resent them to this day.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that those not properly disposed lightened cigarettes can cause fires. Smoke can trigger asthma or worsen lung diseases. Also right that lots of wasted money.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Being a fellow Canadian I see this all the time..lol People standing outside in the middle of a snow storm to have a cigarette..wiping out and falling into snowbanks. Oh the joys of winter. It is in the winters months that I am so thankful that I am not a smoker. I can't even imagine wanting to have a cigarette that badly. It is fun to watch others though..lol
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Just regarding the weather part alone, here in the UK it's not uncommon to see people huddled together outside buildings all smoking away in all weather's, I used to be one of them!

It's easy for a person that's never smoked to say they'd never be that desperate, but they font know what it's like to have a nicotine addiction.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I really don't think there are any lesser known dangers. The most harmful effects of smoking are usually talked about. Still for some reason people keep smoking. The chances of someone starting a fire with a cigarette is less likely to happen believe it or not. I think if someone really cares about there health and long term effects of smoking they'll quit. Nicotine addiction is really something that most smokers struggle with.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

That is a very good point this isn't the first time that I have people say that within a life time people will burn up a houses worth of money. It's easy to forget when the value that you pay on a daily bases isn't very high, but it certainly adds up.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Less known dangers? Hmm, I guess having a bad breath and making people avoid you is a danger for your social life, eh? Sadly, many smokers do not realize the foul smell of their breath and clothes which makes others want to get away from them as soon as possible. It's not the nicest feeling, to be avoided without even knowing why. Not to mention that it's not pleasant to others either.
  12. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

In my experience, the same people complain about how hard is the life and how they smoke to diminish the stress. And yet, if you try to show them what they're doing wrong, they enter in defensive mode and they'll blame you for being judgemental.
  13. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

As a former smoker myself, I know that people will put that "smoker" stereotype on you and therefore it is harder to fit in with more conservative but judgmental people. Specifically, I am talking about people who go to the gym a lot and seem to live a healthy life. Man, they can really judge you for being a smoker.

Also, the economic impact is quite noticeable as well. It is insane the amount that I need to spend just to fill my addiction and unlike snacking, for example, you can never get enough.
  14. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Most people tend to think big when talking about the dangers of smoking. But like you sad there are lesser known dangers. Bad teeth is definitely one of them. Cigarettes tend to spoil the teeth so nobody wants to speak with you after awhile.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I would not consider it a danger, necessarily, but how about the smell? My husband grew up in a household where smoking was permitted in the house. After moving out, and then going back for a visit several months later, he could not believe that his childhood home smelled so badly of cigarettes! Now that he is not around it every day, he can smell it. While living there, he did not realize how badly the home smelled like cigarette smoke. Not to mention clothing and other items that pick up cigarette smoke smell.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, when we talk about collateral damage we could also consider the damage a cigarette smoke can cause on a car's interiors and so on. The smoke of a cigarette can cause a lot damage, specially if the person smokes in there on a daily basis, plus the smell is just horrible. My husband's car was like a safe heaven when it came to smoking, but not anymore, now he smokes in there.

Let's not forget that once you try not to smoke there and try as hard as possible to remove the smell... it's practically impossible to do so.
  17. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

The tobacco aftertaste is just impossible to bear, I find. Now that I'm tobacco-free, I can reminisce the past days where my mouth would stink so bad friends would notice it a lot of times and even repproach me it! Oh, the shame. And secondly, not only does your mouth start to smell, but also... your clothes, and unlike your mouth, the clothes smell usually gets impregnated within the tissue and... there you go!