An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Let it all go.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Feb 6, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Let it all go. See what stays.

Sometimes in recovery, there are people, places, or obligations which in the past caused or encouraged users to drink or use drugs, that need to be let go. Letting go of these people or things may be temporary or permanent. If you let go of these people or things that are enabling you to use, you will have more time to focus on your own needs and recovery. Let go of these people to focus on your health. If after you have begun your recovery process and they stay, then they most likely do love and care about you, and are hopefully willing to be a part of your new life of recovery.
    kassie1234 and MrsJones like this.
  2. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I agree with 100%. Recovery is all about you, you just have to let everything and everyone one go the important people who really do care will stay.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah this is true. Sometimes letting go of the label also can make a considerable difference. You are what you think or believe. Changing self talk can re-create who you are. Accepting labels only keeps you there and perpetuates no matter who you've removed from your life. How you view yourself will follow you where ever you go. It does help substantially to drop the toxic people and focus on those that are a positive inspiration.
  4. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Letting go... One has to prepare themselves to do this. Emotionally.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I agree things have to change, you can't have the same habits and expect different results. Your friends may change when they see your serious about change. It's really your life and at the end of the day you have to live with the choices you make. Whatever holds you back can't stay if you want to move forward.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I absolutely agree that those that stick by you through it all are the keepers - I'm fortunate to have had several of those people with me throughout my journey! It helps to this day just knowing that they've seen me at my worst and decided that I was worth sticking around for.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree with you about that. I know it's painful and difficult to let go of some people, specially if they have became pretty close to you. But instead of being helpful in recovery, they're already making everything worse, the best thing for you to do is to just stay away from them.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Right now I am emotionally letting go of something that I once so strongly believed in. I have to let the emotions go so that I can deal with everything that is about to go on. I can't do it if I am still emotionally attached. Letting go can be scary but it is something that needs to be done for yourself. Nobody said that life would be easy. It has been anything but that but I will get through it just like I have with all the other bad things in my life.
    MrsJones and deanokat like this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Sending you love and hugs, @L_B. Here if you need anything.
  10. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Letting go isn't just a passive act, it's also an active decision. There is usually a lot of painful introspection that has to take place first before we can release it. But once you do, you can begin to see clearly again, and start to move forward for the first time in what has very often been a long time.....
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

People really have to learn how to let those negative people in their lives go, because they will just be detrimental to their recovery. They should only retain positive people in their lives so that it is less likely that they will relapse.