An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Let it go

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Sep 8, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

No, I don't mean the hit song from the movie Frozen...

[​IMG]
    Sometimes in life we just have to let things go. We beat ourselves up about decisions we have made that were wrong, and sometimes we just cling to that negativity like it is a magnet drawing us closer and closer. We have to remember that idea of letting the past go. We have all got things in our pasts that we regret or would change if we could have a life "do-over" as you might call it. But ultimately, we do get a do-over every new day. We can make choices to improve our lives and leave the past in the past.

Our past is excellent to learn from - but bad to live in! Remember that!
    FuZyOn, xTinx, Winterybella and 2 others like this.
  2. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I need to do some serious letting go of those awful memories brought about by some relationships that I have been a part of especially as it relates to the most recent one. I have been very unlucky when it comes on to guys and really I do not know what else to do to ensure that a relationship work. I am opting to remain by myself for a while and see how that works. I am not a young person and no one wants to end up all alone but at the rate things are going, I seriously need to be with just me for now.
    LindaSuzanne likes this.
  3. kassie1234

There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking some time to be alone! I feel like it just lets you reflect on what you want in life and what you want in a relationship. I feel like it's actually a very beneficial thing. There's no point being in a relationship solely for the sake of it, either - take some time for yourself to establish what you're looking for. And let those past hurts go - I am sure you can learn plenty from the past but do your best to ensure it doesn't impact your future negatively. All the best!
  4. Azreal328

Azreal328 Member

I love this post. Guilt, especially in dealing with addiction, can often lead to a persons downfall and relapse. It's easier to give up all the hard work you've put in when you constantly beat yourself up about things you can't change. Everyone makes mistakes. Continuously strive to do the right thing and be a good person. The rest will sort itself out eventually.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Thanks @kassie1234 that song is now stuck in my head! In all seriousness though, we have to put the past behind us and look toward the future in order to accomplish anything with our lives. You can't dwell on where you have been. Forgive others, forgive yourself, and move on!
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Very meaningful post and so timely for me. I am finding a lot of timely information here for me lately. Actually, I don't think I do a bad job of letting go of most things especially when it comes to others. I get a little stuck on my own issues at times but I am working on that.
    I'm observing that very close to me though, there are some who don't seem to be willing to embrace this concept of letting go and for me that's quite troubling. There are people out there holding on to dates and details, holding grudges and forgetting the fragile and temporary our existence is. Sometimes we just have to let it go and move on.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You couldn't have said it better. We're too hung up on everything. We think too much. We believe the world and the people in it are ganging up on us, not realizing that this life is just passing and we're not going to be here forever. We all have to move forward and find our rightful place here in on earth. To do that, we must let go, let life and let God.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This is one thing that I struggle with a lot. Hanging onto the past and hurtful feelings is counterproductive. It hinders my daily activities when I reflect on the things that I have done.

But yes. Time to let go and move on. Lesson learned and time to move on.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with what you have said. Don't let the guilt and shame eat you up. It won't do you any good. Learn to accept that things don't work out the way you planned them, and sometimes, we make mistakes, but that's part of life, and part of growing up. Learn from your experiences in the past and move forward to what's coming next for you.
  10. kassie1234

I am much the same - a lot of the time it's not letting things go when it comes to others that I struggle with, but more letting things go in relation to myself! I wonder why often times we treat ourselves so much more harshly than we would others!
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

The question I have struggled with for far too long. After a while it takes its toll on us. I suggest we let it go and be kind to ourselves first. Sadly it is often easier said than done.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Let it gooooo.... Let it gooooo..... Can't hold it ba... nah, JK! Pretty sound advice, congratulations for the post! People have to understand that what happened in the past remains in the past. There's no way to change what you've already done and the best part is to focus on you present, thus making the future worth living!
  13. harold

harold Community Champion

It is never easy to let go. Many people show strong feelings to negative events to the extent where these events keep hunting them and dictating their lives. I can remember some few negative events that never really got off my mind. It is not easy walking away from such experiences, but it is possible. If God almighty can forgive us for what so ever wrong we did and declare us clean, then it will be foolish of us to torture ourselves with these experiences because God has already provided the solution. We must let go the past, before we can walk into a positive future. No one is perfect. What is important is the fact that you have changed your ways.
  14. kassie1234

Isn't it THE EASIEST song ever to get stuck in your head?! I felt semi-bad posting it as the subject line of my post because I knew that it would have that impact on some of us on here...we would be humming the tune to ourselves all day long!
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's so true. I have made a bunch of mistakes in the past because of being stupid and trusting, and it
    has made some very negative consequences, troubles, and heartache for me. I know what has been done is already done, so I am just focusing right now on being positive and not committing the same mistake again in the future.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    kassie1234 likes this.
  16. kassie1234

It sounds to me like you are taking the perfect steps. Being positive, and learning from the past but not living in it.

There's a saying that something is only a mistake if we don't learn from it - so hopefully that's something to keep in mind ;)
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, technically it is a mistake, because if we look back and think about what if we haven't done it then things would be so much better right? But what's done is already done, so the only thing that it can serve us is to learn from the negative things that it has brought us.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people confuse letting go and moving on with runbing away and they're entirely different. Sometimes in your life there's a point where you can't do anymore and the only thing you can do is move on.

Dwelling on things that have happened only leads to regret, and its better to let go of the past rather than drag it along with you and let it affect your future.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I just forgot about it and now you remined me of it again.. arrrgh! I hate YOU! Naah, the song is quite cute but it got boring after a thousand of repeats (kind of like "Happy" by Pharell Williams, I hate that song from the bottom of my heart after they broadcasted it 24/7 on the radio).
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Thanks for posting this! I agree with you, a lot of people are really stucked in their past that it don't really let them live the present, and I think that I'm one of those. I'm constantly worried about things that I've done in the and I'm also really worried about my future...but I'm progressively learning that I need to focus on the present, the past already passed and the future is a completely mystery.