An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Letting go of the wrong things

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kana_marie, Mar 26, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

While you were going through your addiction how badly did you let the housekeeping and hygiene go? My hygiene was great! I had the energy to take really good care of my appearance and being clean on top of being high was so much better. My house, however, it was horrible! I barely ate so I didn't mess with dishes very often. Laundry was optional as long as I could hand wash what I needed. It was just a mess. I had never lived like that before or since!
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I never let my hygiene slide - I was still working full time but I must admit that my house got into a bit of a state. It's not that I didn't clean up or anything, I did all that, but large amounts of clutter begain to build up and routine maintenance jobs went untouched.
    kana_marie likes this.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My hygiene was not an issue, but I have seen many people go to hygiene hell when their addiction gets bad. I had a friend in high school whose mother was addicted to method and their house was absolutely gross. Garbage and dishes all over the house. A couple of us pitched in and cleaned the house. After the garbage was gone, it was quite apparent that this family owned nothing.
    kana_marie likes this.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hygiene is surely an issue among individuals in the recovery stage. My uncle totally forgot to clean up. His being a guy is no excuse of course. It took marriage and the birth of his two kids to make him think about his hygiene seriously. He's now a more organized person than he used to be during his recovery.
    kana_marie likes this.
  5. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Hygiene very good
    Housekeeping awful
    :(
    kana_marie likes this.
  6. kana_marie

My house got bad enough there were only certain rooms I would be willing to hang out in. I never realized how many clothes I had until they were all over the floor waiting to be washed. It wasn't so bad at first. It got so bad over time that I wanted it cleaned but I found it a little overwhelming. I always told myself if I had one more pill ill have the motivation to do it.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am not dealing with an addiction but when things are really, really at a low with me you'll likely see it in the housekeeping. Most of us ladies make sure the hygiene is in check but in my case, you just have take a look at what's going in my bag to know when I don't have it together. From there is slowly creeps into the bedroom.

Fortunately I have not been doing too badly and sometimes I will call in some help if it's overwhelming. Proper hygiene and clean surroundings help you to cope much better with life.
    kana_marie likes this.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It all depends on the drug you've been using. Someone addicted to smoking for example wouldn't suddenly start having hygiene issues because they smoke. Very little about their lifestyle would change. Someone who is an alcoholic however [if he or she is living alone] may only clean their clothes but the rest of their home would be a mess.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I didn't really let go of those things. I always managed to keep myself clean, smelling nice and not really having to deal with hygiene problems.
    I had some trouble with the housework but after some time I got it togheter. It wasn't easy though.
  10. kana_marie

Yes it does!! I don't know if I could have stayed clean if I had stayed in that house. Aside from digging in the couch cushions, going out of my mind, looking for a forgotten dropped pill that place had gotten to the point of no return. When I'm surrounded by chaos I am the most tempted.
  11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I've noticed people who are junkies or addicts typically have poor hygene and their homes are typically out of order. There are obviously exceptions. But typically addicts are so focused on getting high they let other areas of their life slide in a big way.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I've never been through a horrible addiction that made me dysfunctional. I've always maintained balance in everything that I do. A little bit of fun, a little bit of work, a little bit of me-time. Hygiene has never been a problem to me, and I always make sure household chores are done completely.
  13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When it comes to good personal hygiene it had been part of my daily routine to keep myself clean because it made me feels good about myself and also for good health. But there are cases when other people are feeling sad, had problems and are depressed sometimes they tend to neglect to take care of themselves. If you knew someone either a family member, a love one or a friend like this make an effort to help them and to encourage them to take care of their personal hygiene as a concern for them. And when it comes to household chores the more I am aware of it. I am an organized type of person and I always want the house to be clean and I always want things to be in the right place inside our house. And one thing I believe that our house is the place where our good personal hygiene begins.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Spot on. My house looked like a typhoon hit. I shaved and took care of myself, but the house took a beating. For some reason I stopped caring and I just let it go. I don't know what it was. I guess it was a metaphor for what I was feeling at the time. On the outside I was clean cut, but in private it was a wreck.
  15. kana_marie

It's crazy to think about it now, isn't it? I would go crazy if I lived like that now. I would probably just burn the place down, now lol
  16. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I guess that overall we care more about ourselves and our hygiene and the way we look than dealing with housework.
    We are generally lazy when we have to clean our houses ex. wash the dishes, vacume the house, but it's even harder when we have a problem with ourselves.
  17. kana_marie

That's pretty weird, in my opinion. I couldn't, and stil can't, stand the way it feels to be dirty. I can feel it on my skin and in my hair the entire time. It's almostike torture. But I didn't care that I was sittin in filth. Thinking back I don't know why I didn't realize that the house being that filthy is a lot of what would make me dirty
  18. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

My hygiene was ok, but the house took a hit. Dirty clothes were all over the place and there was mild and mildew in the restrooms. That was disgusting.
  19. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m the same, pretty much. My hygiene has been okay despite feeling pretty low lately, but the house is pretty awful. I haven’t been my usual organized self lately, and the combination of depression plus illness sapped all of my energy. I think I’m finally coming out the other end of it, though. Famous last words, haha. If I manage to get my stuff back together it’s always a good sign.
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Whether we are on a recovery or not our personal hygiene and cleanliness of our house are things we should not forget to be part of our daily activities. If we had members of our family, relatives or friends whom we saw are not capable to do these thing anymore because of their condition be of help and guide them rather than judging them.